• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best rims for saltwater

210FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello, I’m looking to get aftermarket rims for my Shoreland’r trailer. What material rims are best for saltwater? I do understand galvanized but the selection is not very appealing to me. I’d like some feedback from people who have aluminum rims and are not experiencing any issues with saltwater. Thank you

210FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m guessing either no one boats in saltwater or no one has changed out the rims on their trailer??

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Any wheel that is dipped in saltwater will oxidize at some point to some extent. I agree with you that Galv wheels leave a lot to be desired on looks and as they age they just get uglier. I put them on my Triton aluminum jet ski trailer since it goes to the beach more often than not. They are ugly. Aluminum will also oxidize over time just like the trailer does. So the question for me becomes do I get fancy aluminum wheels and pour the wax/sealant and salt away to them or do I get an aluminum wheel that is not as fancy so I can polish them back to mirror finish more easily. In either case they will outlast the steel painted wheels and look much better the whole time. I am leaning towards the aluminum wheels that look the best and bite the bullet on keeping them looking good or replacing them in when I replace the tires. I run trailer tires a maximum of five years before replacement even if they have good tread depth.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Galvanized and paint them black could be an option There is not a rim out there that is going to hold up to saltwater and still look good after time unless you're OCD pulling them off the trailer after every outing cleaning and waxing them.

210FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the information.. although I am OCD, I’m definitely not going to be pulling them off for waxing. I think I may just bite the bullet and go for some aluminum rims and just make sure to hit them hard with Salt-a-way. If they end up lasting 3 years it will be worth it. Thanks again

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I run Raceline Wheels and have had no problems with rust or oxidation in the salt. Always washed with Salt Away but so far so good. Full aluminum rims are the way to go

210FSH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great.. thank you. I will definitely look into these. Thanks again