• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge turns on when stopping

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
When I slow down to idle from 15+ mph every time my bilge on my 215 ID runs and kicks water out for about 5 seconds. Is this normal? And what is causing it?

John P Jones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I do have similar experience but it doesn’t happen all the time. Normal? Not sure, but since it happens and I haven’t had any problems with the boat, I assumed it was normal - better to have the bilge dump the water than not.

i did read about a sleeve seal a while back - on the shaft to the impellers I think - where if that fails, the back of the boat could up fairly quickly. A little water bilging would not be that sleeve.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The sleeve mention is a carbon seal. It is a mechanical seal that wears out over time. One of the biggest contributors to wear is running the engines out of the water. The seal needs to be in the water for both lubrication and cooling. May be your problem, but may just be normal water accumulation.
Water tends to sit in the ski locker in these boats when sitting still, and moves back to the bilge when you start moving. My bilge pumps a few times when I start out, but once the ski locker is empty, it doesn’t start again.
If your pump runs like that throughout the day, your carbon seal may be dinked. If it just runs at the start, it is nothing to worry about.

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
The sleeve mention is a carbon seal. It is a mechanical seal that wears out over time. One of the biggest contributors to wear is running the engines out of the water. The seal needs to be in the water for both lubrication and cooling. May be your problem, but may just be normal water accumulation.
Water tends to sit in the ski locker in these boats when sitting still, and moves back to the bilge when you start moving. My bilge pumps a few times when I start out, but once the ski locker is empty, it doesn’t start again.
If your pump runs like that throughout the day, your carbon seal may be dinked. If it just runs at the start, it is nothing to worry about.
The boat has 4 hours on it. It is really consistent though. No matter how long I cruise for, once I have the wake hit me from the rear (does not come on top of the swim platform) the bilge kicks in for around 5 seconds then turns off. I have the boat tilted in the driveway right now letting it drain every last drop then I am going to seal the drain plug and pour a gallon or so in and see where it comes from. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thanks to all who have answered all my newbie questions. Been a huge help!

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Filled it up and let it sit with about 2 gallons of water in it. No water leaking anywhere. However I noticed there is some water deep in the back of the boat. I’ll try and get some photos.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Filled it up and let it sit with about 2 gallons of water in it. No water leaking anywhere. However I noticed there is some water deep in the back of the boat. I’ll try and get some photos.
Did the bilge pump come on?

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Did the bilge pump come on?
The bilge came on when I added a bit more. Nothing ever leaked. I parked it on a hill with the drain plug out. Taking it out tomorrow to see if I can repeat the water and bilge activity.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Obviously water is getting in somehow. I've never seen the bilge pump come on (except while testing it) with my 2019 195 and no water comes out of the drain holes when I pull it out of the water. You could try physically disconnecting your batteries and adding more water to see if you can find the source. My bilge pump is in the front of the engine compartment and, if yours is the same, it sounds like water is getting in and sloshing forwards when you slow down.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rub rail leaking???

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Rub rail leaking???
How do you test that or where would I see that? Other things I have yet to iOther things I have yet to fully eliminate is a poor sealing drain plug. When I look for water while driving I cannot see any noticeable moisture near any of the inlet hose is through the transom on either side.

Lendwaym

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
The bilge came on when I added a bit more. Nothing ever leaked. I parked it on a hill with the drain plug out. Taking it out tomorrow to see if I can repeat the water and bilge activity.
I did take it out yesterday After the steep draining I did the night before and it seemed to be better however it eventually return to the original state where slowing down with the week pushing the rear of the air boat Would trigger the auto bilge float to pump water. Never any more than five seconds worth.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you test that or where would I see that? Other things I have yet to iOther things I have yet to fully eliminate is a poor sealing drain plug. When I look for water while driving I cannot see any noticeable moisture near any of the inlet hose is through the transom on either side.
Have someone else drive the boat and slow down so the water comes over the back swim deck and just stick your head in compartments in other places to see if it is leaking.