• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Frame Removal on 2019 242X-E

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Guys, sold my 08 212SS recently (great boat) and bought a 2019 242X-E. The boat is currently at an offsite storage so can’t get measurements but I would like to eventually get it into my 8’ tall garage door but I’m in need of some answers to the following Q’s pls. I searched the forum and could not come up with definitive and clear answers. Your help here is greatly appreciated.

1. Can the Bimini frame (not canvas) be easily removed for winter storage? I know it a PIA if I had to do this every outing but I’m looking to this twice per year so no big deal. Are there steps and watch outs outlined somewhere?
2. If so, I assume the tower can then fold down providing a lower overall height than the 10’ listed in Yamaha’s specs with the frame on?
3. What is the new height of the tallest part with tower folded? And what is that part? Is it the Window or back of the folded tower? Or middle of the folded tower? Or ?
4. If I do the tower cable extension mod, can the tower (minus the Bimini frame) fold down lower yet and what is that new lower height?
5. If the entire tower and Bimini frame are removed, what is the height to the tallest part, in this case the windshield?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m on my phone and editing is a challenge. See responses embedded in the reply as well as below.

Hi Guys, sold my 08 212SS recently (great boat) and bought a 2019 242X-E. The 242X is currently at an offsite storage so can’t get some measurements but I would like to eventually get it into my 8’ tall garage door but I’m in need of some answers to the following Q’s pls. I searched the form and could not come up with definitive and clear answers. Your help here is greatly appreciated.

1. Can the Bimini frame (not canvas) be easily removed for winter storage? I know it a PIA if I had to do this every outing but I’m looking to this twice per year so no big deal. Are there steps and watch outs outlined somewhere?

Yes. 1 large Allen head bolt on either side. Plus disconnect the wire harness for the bimini frame that includes solar charger and anchor light wires. And, unscrew the front knob, obviously.

2. If so, I assume the tower can then fold down providing a lower overall height than the 10’ listed in Yamaha’s specs with the frame on?

I got mine under a 9’ 10” door with bimini on, but it was close. Daughter says maybe 1-2” clearance. She had to stand on boat and hold the bimini level, as it’s default position has the rear of the bimini resting too high.

3. What is the new height of the tallest part with tower folded? And what is that part? Is it the Window or back of the folded tower? Or middle of the folded tower? Or ?

Highest part is still going to be the tower. If the front of the tower comes down to the windshield, it’s possible that the tower base may be the highest point. Not real sure, but the base is very wide and the back sticks up a lot when folded

4. If I do the tower cable extension mod, can the tower (minus the Bimini frame) fold down lower yet and what is that new lower height?

Yes, that would help. Also, the existing cable length gives a little more travel than the shipping brackets do. Extending the cable length would definitely help more. Not sure on height

5. If the entire tower and Bimini frame are removed, what is the height to the tallest part, in this case the windshield?

Don’t know. It’s possible that the rear of the tower base could be the highest point. It’s really wide and sticks up. Take a look at my pic below to see what it looks like folded.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I’m not sure on measured distances with bimini off, but I’m going to guess that you’d easily be able to get close to 8’. It looks like the 242 Ltd S has a folded height of 8’6”. Thats the same tower minus the bimini, correct.

79D4E18D-1880-4246-A918-A1E894586895.png

Here’s mine folded, with bimini and a rope holding the bimini in a better position. Rafters are 10’2”.
693534CA-21E6-4FFB-A274-814B2F50FCC8.jpeg

If you had asked 3 weeks ago, I could have done better measuring since I’ve been without the bimini all summer. Lol

If you take it off, you’ll need 3 people all fairly tall. 1 to hold both the front and back and the 3rd to take out the bolts. It isn’t heavy, but even the barest drop will scratch the powder coat. It’s more delicate than you think it should be.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 when your removed the Bimini frame or installed what was the bolt like that attaches to the tower I was looking at mine and there was an Allen head set screw that i did not notice at first , I removed this but the large bolt was very tight and couldn't loosen it up with a regular allen wrench. What I was looking into is the squeeking noise when going over waves seems to come from this location. I wanted to back out the pivot bolt and grease it up to help eliminate the noise. Great to hear Yamaha took care of the tower

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmm, I don’t remember the set screw. Yes, very tight.... and in my case the bolt was bent which made getting it out even harder. It eventually turned, though. Allen wrench was on the verge of twisting, but held tough. I did not have to use an impact driver or anything.

Found a couple pics. I see the set screw hole now, maybe I did loosen that... can’t remember.

592022A0-1555-433C-9934-1799FD8B2D49.jpeg

8387B408-9F83-469C-BE9C-737B7E5CF682.jpeg

AFC83CC3-1262-4BEB-AC4E-422BF6877437.jpeg

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @BigAbe75, what happen there? Did that snap off while trying to take th bolt out? If that is the case, I am concerned now about removing it as I don’t want to risk having the same issue.

Also with Bimini cage off, you think the height of the tower folded down should be identical to a 242S? I am not 100% sure but I think they have the identical boat hull however, is the trailer and bunks the same and thus 242S is sitting at the same height as the 242x?

Do you know the 8’6” is to what feature on the boat? Window or the back of the tilted tower? Thx

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks @BigAbe75, what happen there? Did that snap off while trying to take th bolt out? If that is the case, I am concerned now about removing it as I don’t want to risk having the same issue.

Also with Bimini cage off, you think the height of the tower folded down should be identical to a 242S? I am not 100% sure but I think they have the identical boat hull however, is the trailer and bunks the same and thus 242S is sitting at the same height as the 242x?

Do you know the 8’6” is to what feature on the boat? Window or the back of the tilted tower? Thx
@Cambo linked to my original thread above, I think. But basically, I’m not positive of the order of occurrence, but the knob came loose while traveling and allowed the bimini to float while being trailered. This resulted in the bimini being caught by trees and ultimately an overpass and busting off at the weld where the bimini attaches to the tower.

I certainly would not expect anything similar to happen with normal removal of the frame.

I’m not sure what it would be similar to, but it seems reasonable that it would be similar to the 242 S. I do, however, think that you can gain some clearance by doing the cable mod to let the tower hang lower. I would definitely assume that the trailer and bunks are the same on all the 24’ boats of the same year. I have seen a thread here somewhere where someone was exploring moving the bunks out wider in order to allow the boat to rest lower on the trailer. I don’t recall how that turned out.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Ky2fl22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good info! I need to remove mine to repair a side bar. Looks like I’m going to need a big ass allen wrench. Thank you for the info. Need to repair this and one of the solar panels thanks to Ian. :mad:
1671125873828.jpeg

1671125907715.jpeg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think there is an allen head set screw that locks the large allen bolt.