• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini question

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Is the bimini top frame on the 242 limited (no tower) designed to be in the upright stowed position for high speeds? I know the bimini should not be extended for any high speed running but can you leave it in the upright position? We usually put it all the way down before doing any higher speedy stuff.

Thought maybe someone had an experience or reason why it's better down or ok to leave up.

I leave mine up when transporting down the interstate with no problems. It is retracted with the boot on and no problems at all. The only time I put it all the way down is when I store it for the winter with the storage cover on it.

Stowed with the boot on is fine at high speeds. We always had the bimini up on our limited (not s) when on the water but stowed it (upright) when exceeding 40 mph. It's suppose to be fine to 45 mph but I never wanted to push it.

Stowed upright with boot on is what I figured but wasn't sure about flex or tork on the frame components as the boat bounces around.
Thanks for the input.

I had an SX 230 (no tower) and usually had the bimini in the up position but stored in its boot while boating, mostly to keep it out of the way (so people don't have to step over it to get in). The down side being people would some times use it as a brace and its not as strong a brace as when it is down. I trailered with it down because I didn't like seeing it shake while trailering and thought it may eventually detach completely. Also the stock canvas cover couldn't be used when the bimini was in stored in the up position.

Back