• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini top and wakeboarding

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When wakeboarding on a 2017-2019 Ar210, do you tow with the rope above or below the Bimini? Otherwise, do you take down the Bimini and strap it to the tower first? Today we took down the bimini but I don’t want to do this if we can wakeboard with the Bimini up

The manual on my 16 ar240 states you can use tower tow point with the bimini in the lowest setting

Above. The rope might rub a little, but no significant wear that I've noticed three years in. Once the rope is taught, doesn't really contact the bimini.

We have a 212x and tow with the rope over the bimini. We get it to the second lowest setting, haven’t managed to get it down to the lowest setting. The fabric is really stiff!

The other suggestion I saw was to tow with the Bimini closed, but connect the back posts to the tower at the lowest setting.

We have a 212x and tow with the rope over the bimini. We get it to the second lowest setting, haven’t managed to get it down to the lowest setting. The fabric is really stiff!

The other suggestion I saw was to tow with the Bimini closed, but connect the back posts to the tower at the lowest setting.
I couldn't get my bimini to the lowest or thd middle setting till i took an inch and a half off the front two tubes that extend forward from the tower

yeah, it’s not easy. We get to the middle setting by me pretty much hanging off the back of the Bimini and my wife clicking one side down a setting.

I was finally able to get the fabric to stretch to the lowest height on the rear legs on our 2018 212X. There's a leap of faith involved the first time because you have to press down on the frame above the rear leg pretty hard, one side at a time, while releasing the button on the leg. You can feel the fabric stretch.

After it is set up on the lowest position, if you leave the boat in the sun for a couple of hours it will go in much easier the next time.

Towing is from above the Bimini. Also, if you want to tow with the Bimini furled, leave it in the cover and tip it back on the rear legs in the lowest position. Then tow above the furled Bimini. Thanks to @PJ73 for the furled Bimini tip--it didn't occur to me, but works great.

Jeff

Last edited:
When wakeboarding on a 2017-2019 Ar210, do you tow with the rope above or below the Bimini? Otherwise, do you take down the Bimini and strap it to the tower first? Today we took down the bimini but I don’t want to do this if we can wakeboard with the Bimini up
Yes, we tow with the bimini deployed all the time, AR240 boat but same bimini. When wakeboarding/skiing with any 60+ft rope it is a non issue as the hull tends to pitch the bow up a bit and the rope goes over and does not touch the bimini.

However, during hard wake surfing starts (much shorter rope) with much more aggressive angle the rope can touch and ride over the bimini's edge. We have used a trailer guide pole protector sleeve or attach the rope on the (surf) side of the tower, either works.

--

Doesn't the rope drag/rub against the bimini/supports when circling around and picking up riders?

I couldn't get the top down to the lowest setting this weekend. We were only able to get the middle point and my 115 lb. wife was hanging from the thing. The rope still rubbed and we had to move it back up to the highest holes. Any other ideas to getting the mounts in the lowest position to have my tow rope at the top above the bimini other than cutting the poles up front? 2017 AR190

I used a pipe cutter and took off approximately 2 inches from the two poles that go forward. Just pull off the black caps cut and reinstall the caps. Easy peasy

You have not need to put the top back in the other positions? You probably can't get it back in that position now right?

What about wetting it to get the canvas to stretch? Has anyone gotten it to stretch enough to attach at the lower points?

Yes. Please see my post #7 above from last year. We just put it up in the lowest position on our 2018 212X a couple weeks ago. No wetting involved.

We hadn't deployed the Bimini in a year, so it was tight. We initially put it in the second position and left it in the hot sun for half an hour. Then we leaned on it till it went into the lowest position, one side at a time. Then we towed above the Bimini with no problem.

Jeff

Thanks again to all....it rained yesterday so I put up the bimini to get it wet. The wife and I were finally able to stretch the top enough while it was wet to get the top in the lowest position. It is dry now and I will see how it does when we have to put it back out and wakeboarding from the top now. I can't wait to get out there and try it!!

Ok for anyone experiencing a similar issue. We were able to get the bimini back down to the lowest position with a little needed force. The tow rope was attached from above the bimini and wakeboarding was great. I am glad I asked the group. Wife now has a new board and I have mine all to myself! The next thing will be to add RideSteady gps. I wiped out pretty hard without it....At one point I was being pulled around 20mph +......ouch!

Back