• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat buying advice... anyone close to Shelbyville?

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found a used 2017 Ar190 for sale locally. The marina is sellng it for the owner. They say it has roughly 30hrs. Not much other information. I have seen it in person, but it has the mooring cover on. The contact says they only do ride and drive after a offer has been accepted and a contract with a deposit is put down.
This and odd to me, I am a serious buyer. The setup to me makes me uneasy I don't think it's wrong just different for me. Could I get your thoughts?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That sounds like Skipper Buds to me. I got into the same argument with them on a boat last year that they were selling on consignment. I said piss on them, i'm not giving you anything until I get to see what it's worth.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m with you. I wouldn’t sign anything without being able to try it.

If they won’t budge and you’re really interested, how about you give them a postdated check to show you’re serious? If you like it, you’re fine, if not, put a stop payment on the check.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not trying to get caught up in the promise of a nice boat asking for 27k, sounding like willing to accept offers. First time boat buying as well, so I'm cautious

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Will they take the cover off for you at least? Can you have something in the contract that allows you to bail after a certain amount of time or for various reasons?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My guess is that they are trying to discourage looky loos and joyriders. I totally get that and I'd want the same if it were my boat being sold by the marina. However, the contract needs to have a clear and easy path to return of your deposit if you decide not to proceed for any reason following the sea trial. Absent that, I would not proceed.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve bought two cars during this Covid mess and in both situations, I could not test drive until a price was agreed on. However, I was not committed to buying after the test drive. Your situation seems a bit extreme or maybe the terms were miscommunicated.(?)

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as there is a clear out for any reason after the test drive and the deposit is refunded I would be okay with it.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What’s included with the boat? Any extras, any mods?

I just looked on the Yamaha website and a new AR190 is $33k. I didn’t look at the details and have no idea if any dealers in your area even have a new one but the asking price doesn’t seem like a great deal to me. So all the more reason to be clear that you won’t commit without a test drive.

I also checked Nada Guides for used boat prices and the average retail for this boat is around 23-25k. If the hours are as low as they say, then closer to 25 might be reasonable. Check this out for yourself as the ask for your zip code and I used mine which is in upstate NY.

Good luck.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat is essentially stock from the looks on the outside. They did add a wakeboard hanger on the tower. Haven't seen the interior yet, waiting on the seller. Mods are nice but the are generally for the person who is selling not the buyer. Hard to put to much stock in that. I have so many questions and the marina may not know the answers.
ECU check, compression, service, etc

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not that big a deal ...just put in the contract that final sale is contingent upon a joy ride and inspection..

Write a check...

This is all so simple..don’t worry.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does it have a Connext screen? Yamaha has had lots of problems with these screens. Make sure you check this out carefully and ensure everything works.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed the nozzle looked worn
The impeller looks to be in good shapeIMG_20200701_162533.jpgIMG_20200701_161910.jpg

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The water outlet you have pictured is broken...and should be replaced, not a big deal you can repace them with billet aluminum ones from ADA racing I agree the impeller and housing looks in good shape. I would take a look a NADA for the price $27k seems at the top end for the year and model. SO it would be a starting point and work from there. Good luck I agree with the above comments just right the offer contingent on inspection and sea trail it will all work out.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Call me old-school but based on the OP's description this is buying a pig in a poke.

Now, if they'll uncover it and let you do a thorough inspection, I can understand them wanting to control the joy rides.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with the thought on wanting rides for serious buyers. I contacted him and made an offer contingent on the interior and sea test.
Want to look at the engine oil for the milky color. Not sure how i could request a compression test on this situation. I don't have those gauges. Seller maybe hesitant to pull plugs and sell as is. Would a marina have someone who could do such test? Or even check the ECU?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a compression tester sitting around somewhere. I can mail it to you after this weekend (have to dig it out of a box in the basement). Likewise you can rent one for free from AutoZone, just leave a deposit and off you go. No idea how to check the ECU, and not sure I would be worried about that at any level. This boat is pretty simple overall with analog gauges and cable throttle and steering.

I bought my BRAND NEW boat without a sea trial. But I climbed all over it, and checked everything I wanted, and had a significant amount of trust in the quality of my dealer. When I bought my '98 Rinker years ago. I plunked down a deposit as soon. As I saw it, and made a final offer that was contingent on a sea trial. Showed the guy the check before we dunked it in the water, but held it in my hands (truck console) until after the test drive.

$27k feels like a decent price. It's low hours for the year, and the limited inventory has driven prices up a bit. It was a $30k boat brand new, and it's still got a ton of life left of everything checks out.

Which lake is it on and when do you plan to take a drive? If you can find another member to go along, that will help with troubleshooting and evaluating.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The seller got back to us and was firm on the asking price. Something seemed a bit off about the situation to us. We thought this was a sign for us to let it go. Not getting much detail from the seller was suspicious. Granted it's only been for sale a few days so he is willing to let it be shopped a little.
I appreciate the forum posts here. Sound advice on how to aproach it.

Learned allot from the forum just reading through as many post as i can to become more knowledgeable. Hope i would be able to help in the same way at some point.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone close to Shelbyville willing to go and give me some advice on first time on a jet boat?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@trace or @MutherTucke are both in Shelbyville...might want to reach out.