• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Decision Help - 2007 vs. 2008 model

wingen5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ran across this forum while searching for my first boat and have it narrowed down between two options.

2007 Yamaha SX230 HO (asking price = 20k) - standard equipment, clean interior, wake tower installed, roughly 300 hrs

2008 Yamaha AR230 HO (asking price = 22k) - COBRA fins, upgraded sound system w/ subs on wake tower, marine radio, 170 hrs, interior is ugly color (orange) but in great shape

Both have trailers. I'm wondering if anyone would have insight to why one would be better than the other. Is the noise difference that noticeable between those models? Seems that's the biggest thing I've found mentioned in multiple places online. I'm going to ride in the 2007 tomorrow morning, but wondering if that 2k price difference should not be a deterrent in just getting the 2008 if there is some type of massive difference that I'm just not thinking of yet.

I've had boats most of my life, but they always belonged to family (dad, uncles, etc...) but now that I live in an area with 3 good sized lakes, a river and easy access to the Gulf I am looking to invest in my own ride. Mainly looking to run around on the water w/ friends, pull a tube and then fish some from it (due to wife preferences a true fishing boat isn't an option and I'm fine with that).

Would love any and all input from folks...thanks ahead of time and regardless of which one I finally end up getting I'll be back with plenty of questions I'm sure.

Attachments

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just from the pictures I can see pros and cons to each of these. If I recall correctly, there is little difference between 2007 and 2008 models. I’m sure you know this but the AR came with the tower from the factory. They both have the exact same engines and will sound the same.

The SX looks like it was kept in the water and has a painted trailer. If you are using it in the Gulf, that trailer will last a year at best.

I also noticed the file name on the AR says “POPYachts” and they are not only overpriced, but horrible to deal with from everything I’ve read and heard.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based off your use, the sx is all you would need. The AR is setup for wake boarding and adds no value for tubing.

That said, you're getting 2k more boat in the AR with stereo and other mods.. Plus half the hours and a reinforced wake tower VS an aftermarket in the sx. Its worth the 2k IMO, if you can easily see and test it and it checks out.