• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat half full of water

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have heard stainless steel and saltwater do not make a good combo too susceptible to corrosion. In every boat that I have seen either has brass or plastic plugs. After having one of my plastic plugs leak when it was tightened down pretty good decided it was time to pull them. Compared to previous plastic plugs I don't like the bigger threads on these new ones. The older ones had finer threads like the garboard plugs do and seemed to seal up better.

Davidrbjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
ok so do you carry a wrench on you or can you finger tighten the garboard plugs and it be enough?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You can ask @Danielmailin as he already did this and I have not replaced mine just yet. If you are taking your boat in and out of the water you may not need to do it. I leave mine in a boat slip so I don't want any chance of those silly things leaking on me while I am away.

I will most likely just carry a wrench which is what we used to do on an older ski boat we had many years ago.

Last edited:

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My little Mako has the one you mention on your Amazon link...it has worked just fine for about four years now.
I hate the plastic ones as well.
My FSH seems to have something interfering with the rear plug on the port side. That plastic tab that keeps the plug from falling out is hitting something inside and it is a bear to get that plug in straight. I'll be making some changes as well in the near future.

Davidrbjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
My little Mako has the one you mention on your Amazon link...it has worked just fine for about four years now.
I hate the plastic ones as well.
My FSH seems to have something interfering with the rear plug on the port side. That plastic tab that keeps the plug from falling out is hitting something inside and it is a bear to get that plug in straight. I'll be making some changes as well in the near future.
Mine does the same thing i looked in the hole and looks like some loose fiberglass pieces from the factory.
I like these plugs for the garboard too
http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Garboard-Plug-With/dp/B004UOV5R4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I might just do the stainless steel plugs because i doubt i will be in saltwater much.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yeah, either way you'll be better off than the factory plugs.
I'm a trailer boater too so I'm constantly in and out with my drain plugs.
Here in CO, your boat doesn't touch the water without a mandatory state run pre-launch inspection.
"Pull your plugs for me sir. Where were you last? Let me inspect your live well. Please show me your anchor line. Do you have a receipt for those minnows? Ohhh, three drops of water came out of that plug, you'll need to pull over here for a full decontamination."
I kind of get it but it's a pain.

Davidrbjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Yeah, either way you'll be better off than the factory plugs.
I'm a trailer boater too so I'm constantly in and out with my drain plugs.
Here in CO, your boat doesn't touch the water without a mandatory state run pre-launch inspection.
"Pull your plugs for me sir. Where were you last? Let me inspect your live well. Please show me your anchor line. Do you have a receipt for those minnows? Ohhh, three drops of water came out of that plug, you'll need to pull over here for a full decontamination."
I kind of get it but it's a pain.
wow i have never heard of that before that would make taking the boat out for a short trip a pain.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So as not to hijack this thread about boat leaks...I sent you a link for your reading enjoyment.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Probably a good thing between all the crap the barges have transported through here and up to Michigan. Zebra mussels and Asian Carp are awful to deal with. Its ok to hijack useful info.....don't go to Colorado to boat...lol