• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

boat lines

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was trying to find a newbie section where stupid questions like this Are already answered but I didnt see one so I'm gonna ask it here.... my boat.. 2008 sx230... came with zero lines. I took one nylon 15 foot line out of my jet ski before I sold it but other than the rope for the anchor that's all I have.. that and two bumpers... how many lines should I have and how long... I'm not looking to be a water boyscout with 50 different lines and enough total length to fast rope my boat over a water fall but I would like to be a little prepared!

Id just buy a 100ft spool from amazon or something and keep it onboard with a knife. Then you can figure it out as you go. Minimumm 1 anchor, max 2 imo. A few short lines for docking and thats about it.

Just went to Walmart this weekend and got 2 1/2 x15 ropes. they were like $15 each but they worked great. I spray paint the ends of my ropes bright colors so they dont end up on other peoples boats and then you have to say, is that my rope?/ kinda awkward. You can kinda see the yellow on the cleat of my old rope in my pic below. I started doing that cause I used to leave my ropes on my slip, one season I was out more than I was in and suddenly my ropes were gone. I knew where they went but really had no way to identify them so I got smart and 3 bucks worth of spray paint

I carry 4) 1/2" X 15' dock lines. Some docks require two spring lines, one bow and one stern. Usually I only use 2 but I'm prepared for anything.

I'm guilty of having far too many dock lines, both fixed and stretch. Be prepared!!

@bronze_10 i would also recommend having (4) 15' dock lines. I usually use 3 dock lines when in the slip (1 bow, 2 stern). But sometimes I need the 4th one if there isn't a bow cleat at the slip. I also use 6 buoys, but could get away with only 4.

i dont anticipate being docked in a slip.. more like the courtesy dock but you never know.. seems like 4 15' ers it is!

I also carry four 15' dock lines along with two 100' anchor ropes.

These are the $9 dock lines

And the $22 anchor ropes
41xp-2yr7kL._SY450_.jpg

The dock lines are available almost everywhere. I find the Unicord 455976 anchor rope to be much nicer than most anchor ropes.

Ok question/Hijack. How do you keep the ends of your ropes from coming unraveled. Thats the reason I need to replace my lines

Buy the premade lines with eyelets and the bitter end is sewn up.

And if you are making dock lines from 3 strand anchor line here's what you can do. Wrap electrical tape around the rope tightly where you want to cut. Tape two areas with about an inch of bare rope in between. Cut the rope in this bare area which leaves the tape holding both ends tight. Now grab a lighter or torch and melt the ends until you get a nice ball of goo melted that will hold the 3 strands from letting loose. This works for your anchor rode as well.

@scokill Thanks for costing me $33:bucktooth:

There is nothing better for tying up to other boats. You can adjust with each loop and they are tight, but stretch to adjust to any size fender. I use for quick tie up at dock but use rope for extended period.

You guys are a bad influence in my life. Or at least in my wallet.

The advice I was given when I got my boat was to get the 'double braided' lines. I got them and have loved them. Relatively tangle-free. I got 4x dock lines, as well: two hefty ones (I don't recall the size) and two 'properly' sized for my 24 foot boat. I usually use the hefty ones...

Personally, the stretchy ones make me nervous, so I have never purchased them. I think were I to use them, they would only be with a real line as a backup to it (with extra length, of course). But that is just me.

The advice I was given when I got my boat was to get the 'double braided' lines. I got them and have loved them. Relatively tangle-free. I got 4x dock lines, as well: two hefty ones (I don't recall the size) and two 'properly' sized for my 24 foot boat. I usually use the hefty ones...

Personally, the stretchy ones make me nervous, so I have never purchased them. I think were I to use them, they would only be with a real line as a backup to it (with extra length, of course). But that is just me.

Stretchies are great for short term calm water convenient docking. Not ideal for long term or tie ups. I felt the same as you and normal bungee lines suck, but these are awesome. And, no I don't own stock in them!

Back