• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat recommendations?

nickyb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Was originally looking to buy a Sea-Doo Speedster but after learning I cant leave them in the water, its a hard pass for me.

I have a young family, 6 and 3 year old, looking for a small used boat, just not sure where to go from here. I was going to buy the Speedster for 6K, but willing to take a loan out on something more expensive, if its worth it? Would leave it on a mooring for a week at a time, would use it realistically 8-10 days a year. Any input would be great!

Fresh or salt water? Because there is no issue leaving them in fresh water besides esthetic issues on powder coated surfaced. My boat lives in the lake 5 months of the year. Been like that since 2017 (Scarab, has a Sea-Doo/Rotax engine just like the Speedster). I leave it unattended for weeks at a time. I just put a solar panel trickle charger to ensure the battery stays topped up. That's it.

Fresh or salt water? Because there is no issue leaving them in fresh water besides esthetic issues on powder coated surfaced. My boat lives in the lake 5 months of the year. Been like that since 2017 (Scarab, has a Sea-Doo/Rotax engine just like the Speedster). I leave it unattended for weeks at a time. I just put a solar panel trickle charger to ensure the battery stays topped up. That's it.

Fresh, I researched all weekend and apparently its not recommended to leave for an extended period of time because of the carbon seal? I really wanted the boat to, but reading about people waking up to a sunk boat scared me off.

lol yeah, there are a lot of myths. If your carbon seal is working properly AND you follow proper procedures, they don't just randomly leak. Assuming the engine/drift shaft is properly aligned, that you're running the boat out of water for no more than 2 min (in fact, I always run mine less than a min at most for everything I do), AND you don't damage the seal suddenly by sucking up debris such as a rope... then it stays bone dry.

Buying a used boat adds a new element in there because you need to ensure it was properly treated before you got it. Look for signs of carbon seal wear (look it up online, tons of example, but in essence, a black line) and of course, when you put the boat in water, look to see if any water comes in. Sometimes when you start the engine, a small leak can become bigger. So ensure to run the engine in water and watch the bilge. Make sure it was dry before.

I'm on my original carbon seal, 2015 boat. 275h. Sits at the cottage at a dock each summer (Canada). Still perfectly dry. I wouldn't let this dictate not to get this boat. Look at all the other features/price/etc. If a carbon seal is damaged, just take that into account and get it replaced immediately. Then you'll know it's in great shape. But I'm no Sea-Doo fanboy. Buy the best boat that is best for you. But I can give you tips on taking care of the carbon seal. But it's all very simple.

Many people think leaving their Sea-Doos (PWC) in the water is a problem, but it isn't in fresh water just like my boat has proven. People just don't understand why their seals leak and blame it on the fact the seal has a faulty design and let's water in.

I know the speedsters are fast, zippy, and fun as hell...buuuuuut.....if you are going to be going out with the family I'd consider going to a 19' boat (or larger). Will it always just be you and your kids only? How much room in there after throwing in all the required gear plus coolers etc...? Is there room to move around once you stop to swim, eat lunch, relax? What about watersports?
There are a lot of variables (like if you live on the lake you don't need to pack anything and you can switch people on a whim), and the things I listed are for the way WE boat, so I am not the authority on what you need but we found the largest you can afford and still fits the bodies of water you play in is key. From experience with a 17' boat there was no room to do anything but sit with four people and their coolers and towels as once we got in the water we are in it for 6-10 hours.

I know the speedsters are fast, zippy, and fun as hell...buuuuuut.....if you are going to be going out with the family I'd consider going to a 19' boat (or larger). Will it always just be you and your kids only? How much room in there after throwing in all the required gear plus coolers etc...? Is there room to move around once you stop to swim, eat lunch, relax? What about watersports?
There are a lot of variables (like if you live on the lake you don't need to pack anything and you can switch people on a whim), and the things I listed are for the way WE boat, so I am not the authority on what you need but we found the largest you can afford and still fits the bodies of water you play in is key. From experience with a 17' boat there was no room to do anything but sit with four people and their coolers and towels as once we got in the water we are in it for 6-10 hours.

Well, the kids are only 6 and 3, and we stay at my sisters house a few times a year on the lake. They have a big pontoon boat and jetskis, but i hate asking to use any of them, especially while they are not there. So room for 4 is fine, but now im starting to look at other boats where i dont have to worry about it sinking. Im in a bit of a pickle, because I would be towing whatever I get with an Acura MDX, so cant go to heavy. The Speedsters a tiny boat, but it would've fit well for my current needs.

I would rent a boat, but renting for a boat around me is $2k-$2500 depending on what you get. Would rather put that money towards a my own boat.

I'll do some more research, but something with a tower/speakers would be awesome as well.

Well, the kids are only 6 and 3, and we stay at my sisters house a few times a year on the lake. They have a big pontoon boat and jetskis, but i hate asking to use any of them, especially while they are not there. So room for 4 is fine, but now im starting to look at other boats where i dont have to worry about it sinking. Im in a bit of a pickle, because I would be towing whatever I get with an Acura MDX, so cant go to heavy. The Speedsters a tiny boat, but it would've fit well for my current needs.

I would rent a boat, but renting for a boat around me is $2k-$2500 depending on what you get. Would rather put that money towards a my own boat.

I'll do some more research, but something with a tower/speakers would be awesome as well.
You can get into an AR190 for under $30k now. If you go back to the '12-'16 model years you can get into the low $20k range. They're great small boats for families on lakes. Cheap to own, operate, and tow. Get you that tower and speakers, as well as less concern for sitting in the water for long periods of time. My '17 AR190 is ~3,200lbs on the trailer ready to go. Your MDX should handle that acceptably.

Let me know if you have any questions, we're on season 8 with ours. It's been a fantastic boat for us, and I'll sing it's praises to anyone that will listen.

I guess my main question is should I wait till the fall, theres not a lot of inventory near me at the moment, so im sure I could save a couple bucks.

I guess my main question is should I wait till the fall, theres not a lot of inventory near me at the moment, so im sure I could save a couple bucks.
Buying boats is a lot like buying stocks. Timing the market is exceptionally difficult. Buy when you're ready and don't worry about getting the best deal possible. Worry more about having a good dealer nearby, and getting the boat you want.

The biggest difference between the 20ft SeaDoo X20 (Challenger 2000 hull) and our Yamaha was the higher freeboard. The speedsters, sportster and challenger hulls were low in the water.

What that means to the folks in the boat is a wetter ride. Not impossible to stay dry, but the expectation was you were gonna get splashed occasionally. My wife loves the fact that we stay dry, when we want to stay dry much easier in our Yamaha. (old 2 stroke yamahas were low as well)

For the parent of small children, you will be worrying about them being tossed around or overboard much more as well. Constant contact may be required in both, but at least with the four stroke yamaha hulls, you will not be worried about them going overboard nearly as much.

As someone else mentioned, getting into a newer model SeaDoo, or at least a 190 series Yamaha would make sense if that is a concern. I have seen 190 class boats back to pre-covid pricing in that sub $15K range. Folks asking over $20K for 10 year old AR/SX190 is just insane.

I found s great deal on a ar192 fron a boat dealer “certified preowned” but its 1000 miles away.
I could fly down to check it out, and either ship it or drive it back.
im sold on a boat, i need one lol

You can get into an AR190 for under $30k now. If you go back to the '12-'16 model years you can get into the low $20k range. They're great small boats for families on lakes. Cheap to own, operate, and tow. Get you that tower and speakers, as well as less concern for sitting in the water for long periods of time. My '17 AR190 is ~3,200lbs on the trailer ready to go. Your MDX should handle that acceptably.

Let me know if you have any questions, we're on season 8 with ours. It's been a fantastic boat for us, and I'll sing it's praises to anyone that will listen.
I'll 2nd this and say my 2018 SX190 was a great boat for our small family, even bringing some friends along for a day of fun! Other than steering upgrades and basic maintenance, very easy boat to enjoy! Good luck!

Personally, I would travel 1,000 miles for a new boat, but I don’t think I would for a used boat unless it was something pretty uncommon. I currently see a lot of used 19’ Yamahas here along the east coast.

Jim

Personally, I would travel 1,000 miles for a new boat, but I don’t think I would for a used boat unless it was something pretty uncommon. I currently see a lot of used 19’ Yamahas here along the east coast.

Jim
agree 100% 192's should be well under $18K to be a good deal, as that was pre-covid pricing. Older AR190 boats should be less than $15K. Here in MN, folks are in back to school mode. Private colleges will be starting in the next few weeks and some schools will go back into session. The used market is filling up, and as folks have to start looking for winter storage, they will be more apt to sell than store. Shop further North. To the OP, where are you located?

The boat market will flip even more when the Yamaha dealer show happens next month. It's the very reason Northern boat dealers are trying to clear out stock. Don't bother driving any distance for a 192 unless it's a steal. A 195 may be a different story.

I'll 2nd this and say my 2018 SX190 was a great boat for our small family, even bringing some friends along for a day of fun! Other than steering upgrades and basic maintenance, very easy boat to enjoy! Good luck!
I would 3rd on SX190
I loved being able to park it in the garage.
Maintenence is a breeze.

I remember reading your mechanicaly capable.
I have the service manual somewhere in my thread if you need it.

2015+ are not known to have a timing chain failure as they were beefed up that year.

I prefer less technology so having no connex screen would be my choice. Those touch screens came out in 2019 iirc

Last edited:
2015+ are not known to have a timing chain failure as they were beefed up that year.

More specifically, late model 2015 and newer had an updated timing chain and components to make up for potentially weak components in the earlier build 2015 models.

This was not a known issue in 2010-2014 model years of the 1.8ltr engine. And in fact, the effected model year had only enough issues to warrant a Technical Service Bulletin and not a full Recall. That TSB was never issued to the 2010-2014 1.8ltr engines.

When the few that failed gave way, they got lots of attention as it's a catastrophic failure and expensive to fix. But there were very few. (chicken little syndrome)

This has been discussed fully on this forum. I would not shy away from any 1.8 engine, but the early 2015 builds would be the ones I would if I had to.

Turns out the boat 1000 miles away has some cosmetic issues, so i pretty much threw that option out.

There is a 2017 ar195 near by for 24k with 250 hours on it, which would be the absolute top of my budget. I feel like im getting carried away and fomo is getting to me, but this is the best deal i could find around here. Dealer near me wants 30k for a 15 ar190 for 30k lolol

Think my best case is to wait till the fall, especially because we only have a month, maybe two max in new england. Was hoping to have something on vacation in 3 weeks but that dream is starting to fadd

The right one will come up once you narrow down search

I sold my 14SX190 for 22K+. Took a lot for me to get it restored but the next owner had all the the gremlins worked out.

The 195 are supercharged which need premium or not and the SC clutch is a wear item. Also burns more gas.
The NA 1.8 are not known for speed but are reliable. Mine would hit 45mph+ under best conditions and weight distribution.

We bought our boat in the winter with stipulation of a good water test. It’s not fun to wait that long but the good deals will start to show in the offseason.

It would be helpful for you to add your location into your profile. That way other folks could give you more specific information when the reply to your questions.

Jim

Back