• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat repair/how to get gloss back

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just finished a repair on hull using spectrum color paste, can’t seem to get the gloss back even after using Meguiars marine wax. And suggestions appreciated. Thanks

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
After I do repairs with the spectrum paste i then use a mequiar's 49 oxidation remover with a DA polisher in the general area of the repair to try and blend the repair into the original gelcoat then, sometimes takes a couple of coats before the shine starts to return then I use a high gloss liquid by Meguiars using a DA polisher, somtimes takes 3 or 4 coats depending on how deep I had to make the repair, once I see the the gloss return I use a Mequiars pure wax carnuaba liquid. I am sure there are other products but this kit has worked for me on 2 different SX190/195. Making repairs by the previous owners....
1593383227964.png

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What was your finish regimen after the repair? Did you wet and and with what grit? Rubbing compound? Polish?

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For Spectrum repair, wet sand thoroughly at each grit level, 220/400/600/800/1000/1500. Find block, contour or DA to sand with. Avoid sanding with finger or hand backed pressure if possible. Tape off nearby areas that don’t need repair. Follow up with cutting compound 3000 like 3M Perfect-It on buffer to remove 1200+ sanding scratches. Polish with final stage polish. Protect with Rejex or wax.

During sanding phase, note that anything you negative will show at the gloss phase.

I spent 5 hours working on black gel coat repair today. Scratches were from previous owner beaching a couple times. Will post final photos later
83AFD411-5631-471D-AEAF-B7A72A784DD5.jpeg3F524213-650F-4C7C-B11E-E3089F981530.jpeg

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Although wet sanding is faster (can be faster, unless you make a mess of it), since you are asking questions (indicating no real past experience) I would suggest you start with a random orbital double action polisher and polish. A RO DA polisher is very forgiving, and modern polishes should easily handle the task.

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What was your finish regimen after the repair? Did you wet and and with what grit? Rubbing compound? Polish?
As per spectrum instructions including wet sanding at 220, 400 & 800, then rubbing compound and then Meguiars marine wax.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After the rubbing compound, I did polish to get it shiny. I used Griot's, but there are several options.

Then I went for the wax.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were you able to get the gloss back? How did working with the Spectrum Paste go?

I am going to attempt a repair much like @Markk and I think I will try sanding up to 1500 grit, since I only have a Griot's DA polisher. Doubt that will get out 800 sanding marks out. Curious how his turn out.

I ran too far down a shallow river, knowing full well I should have stopped and turned around. Too late. :(

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That doesn't look too bad at all. Especially on the bottom. If you mess up the repair and don't get it all glossy, who is going to know?

Besides, no glass impact there--in fact most of those are not even through the gelcoat. A great repair to start to learn. Pick one of those scratches, get you some Spectrum, a dremel tool, and some Saran wrap. Once you do one, you will be doing the whole bottom there and wondering why you paid anyone that much to do this...

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got all the materials including meguiars in a above post, orbital dual action Polisher and extra pads. Plan to follow the plan above.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My black repair is fighting me. Got the scratches to disappear and returned to glossy, now just fighting to get the deep gloss I want.

Waiting for delivery of 3000/5000/10000 sanding supplies to get my complete gloss back.

I also consulted my body shop friend. He said using 3M ultra thick Wool pad is critical for deep gloss. Wool for the cutting power. Thick to help keep heat under control. Must proceed with caution, too much heat transfer and the gel coat will burn.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A couple things I learned from this repair with gel coat.
1. Don't attempt with 90+ degree temperatures. The paste went off shortly after mixing it (probably 5 min total) and didn't have much time for even spreading
2. With 90+ degree temperatures, I found myself rushing the process.

I sanded with 320 grit through 2500. 2500 definitely made it easier to get glossy with my Griot's DA with microfiber cutting pad. I used 3M rubbing compound from Advanced Auto, followed by Meguiars #83 I had laying around. I haven't finished polished yet, or waxed since I was spent. The heat just about killed me. :)

I have a few defects since it went off so quickly, but overall I am pleased. Hope you guys find success with yours.
Thanks @tdonoughue for the encouragement.

Attachments

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that is a great result, especially for a first gelcoat repair. Nicely done!

Yes, that heat can be hot...

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an update on my project with spectrum paste. Feel much better now. Was a tough spot to fix, not completely satisfied but better thanks the “missing chunk”!

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No one but you would ever know there was damage there... Nicely done!

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10k grit? Wow! I didn't even know there was such a thing. I bet copy paper is rougher...

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length