• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Borrowed Boat, ran over weeds. Need advice. - SeaDoo Islandia Overheated, engine replaced

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not to be off but if I was your buddy no offense I wouldn't let you borrow my boat knowing it had issues and your family would be on board. For the simple fact if something happened to the you or your family I would be devistated. If something happened to the boat it is my boat and I would not want money or assistance in fixing it, though I always appreciate the offer. Saying that I hope you and buddy don't have hard feelings after this as it is something not worth losing friendship over, and you sound like a good friend.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would never loan my boat nor as a friend would I want to borrow a boat....
that being said, you are not responsible for the operational state of your friends boat. According to your posts you really did what could be done to troubleshoot the issue on the water and you played it safe by taking the boat back instead of running it for a day or whatever. Your friend had a motor issue related to a faulty water pump...not your fault. An accident resulting in damage to a boat due to your negligence or lack of knowledge is different from this situation.
You carry zero liability here...you seem like a good friend who is worried about doing the right thing but your friend isn't doing the right thing if he is expecting you to pay for a new motor or even a portion of a new motor.
Just The Dwarf's $0.02.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
If it is a SeaDoo and has twin engines they have to be Rotax early versions did use Merc but only singles

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMO if what you have written is true and the boat never indicated an overheat while you continued to run the motor, that damage shouldn't have occurred during your use and the owner likely cooked it himself.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Would his insurance cover something like this? If the answer is no because the water pump was failing, then I think that should be an indicator of how at fault you are with the weeds. The fact that he knew it had problems (as already mentioned) and loaned it to you is kinda stupid on his part, sorry to say. Also, why did it take a month to come back to you? Not saying he is misleading you, but this seems fishy.

Good on you for trying to assume whatever responsibility you have.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
(assuming these were rotax engines and similar to what I'm familiar with) - what's the chances the "water" in the engine compartment, wasn't actually coolant? And that water pump was actually leaking? The weeds I could see contributing to the water box melting, but boy it sure sounds to me like this thing shouldn't have been on the water to begin with. Very hard to speculate based on what I've read, but it sounds like this thing needs an engine due to a lack of preventive maintenance, not because of anything you did.

Ronald

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Id meet with him buy his 2 beers. And that is it. The boat kept taking on water and he did nothing, and thrn lent it out...im not sure i know anyone that would do that. Good thing it did not catch on fire...and good for you on your future boating fun.. and if i lent my boat out..id cover mechanical cost..and woyld provide a dos and donts kinda list..and my number on speed dial. Good luck.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man that stinks that happened and I think your offer to even contribute at all should be more then enough payment I would never except money from one of my friends to repair my boat unless they wrecked it or something crazy that was obviously their fault. I agree the second your friend handed you a hand pump to drain the engine compartment that was the first sign the boat was not being taken care of. If a simple inexpensive part like a bilge pump isn't working and his solution was to get a hand pump instead of replacing makes me wonder what all he was neglecting on it. 7k seems steep for a new or rebuilt motor.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The SeaDoo's have a closed cooling system. I believe the weed ingestion issue to be separate from the water pump issue. The weeds would affect thrust and muffler cooling and may have strained the engine enough to cause an already compromised water pump to finally fail. Does the SeaDoo have a computer that can be read as the Yamahas do? If so possibly the codes or downloaded files from that engine may show a history of engine overheating which would lead up to this failure. If that's the case he should have known to have it fixed. You do pose a tough question though. While I do agree with others, that the boat owner should bear most or all of the responsibility due to an indicated lack of maintenance to his boat, only you can put a value on your friendship.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is this sea doo boat a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I know these boats along with some of our older Yamaha boats are known for the oil injection line coming off and frying a motor quick. I just replaced the oil injection lines on my sea doo ski and they were brittle. I also have a 92 sea doo ski that is exactly what cooked the motor.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this sea doo boat a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I know these boats along with some of our older Yamaha boats are known for the oil injection line coming off and frying a motor quick. I just replaced the oil injection lines on my sea doo ski and they were brittle. I also have a 92 sea doo ski that is exactly what cooked the motor.
I do not believe that anyone was selling two stroke jet boats in 2007.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
07 Seadoo would have Rotax 4 TEC engines 1.5 4 stroke closed cooling on engine with raw water exhaust NA and SC versions. I think same engine the new Scarab and Chaps use. @Bruce only 2 smoke left is Merc Optimax Sportjet 200hp DI v6, Still being produced

AJDerzie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Zero responsibility. The water pump would have done the engine in regardless, especially without an overheat alarm. So how much is a poorly maintained 9 year old motor worth? I don't think your buddy should be asking you for anything. it's not just a liability thing but a friendship issue. Why would he strain your relationship over a failing motor that you did your best to keep alive? The fact that you are asking our opinion means that you know what he is doing is not right. You will resent him once you reach in your pocket. I hope he drops it.

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
That's the spirit :thumbsup:!

And here is my 0.02. If I were in your shoes, I would want to know what would happen if this was a rental boat and you were renting it for a fee from a rental company. Would they/could they hold you accountable for the engine's meltdown, assuming a similar scenario of events in the water.
A best answer to these questions would help me guide my approach with my buddy.

--
A clogged intake on a seadoo would not overheat the engine they are closed loop cooling using the ride plate as a heat exchanger. The exhaust is cooled by jet pump water and clogged pump intake can over heat the exhaust. With that said imo u pay for any exhaust damage and he pays for engine damage. And don’t lend or borrow a boat in the future