• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bottom of Hull Scratches

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Recently noticed numerous scratches in the bottom of the hull from the bunks. I assume this is normal, but I’m OCD and these scratches are giving me anxiety. Anything I can do to prevent this in the future? Best way to get these scratches out now is just buffing them out? Can I do anything like putting the trailer further into the water in order to stop the hull from hitting the bunks so hard?

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I saw somewhere, that you should make sure when you back your trailer in to pick up your boat, that you back in deep enough to put your bunks under water first and then pull back out to the correct loading depth. The wet bunks will scratch less than dry bunks.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1 bourbon 1 scotch 1 beer....lol I have same issue, but I’m learning to cope they are underwater anyways. I try to be careful

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The keel of the hull is what sees anything other than just water. It will wear over time. Even with a keel guard, any beaching will dull the gelcoat. Landings on the trailer will dull it too. The keel of my boat is very “seasoned”, so much that I would never try buffing it out to see myself in the gelcoat, yet every time I fill it up, someone at the gas station always says “nice boat, man”. My advice is to not worry about the business end of your boat and enjoy putting it to good use, while still avoiding or fixing any unfortunate abuse. Your other option is to never use your boat and keep it in mint condition in your garage without any of the memories. I am pretty OCD too and a perfectionist for sure; but my wife of 20 years as loosened me up and I have come to truly appreciate the wear and tear we have accumulated through our life together and the boat is similar now that we have enjoyed it for so many years.
4FF050D0-C25D-4EB0-BAA8-F05587241BE7.jpeg
jetboaters.net Charleston to Hilton Head trip pre-launch at WO Thomas ramp (5/12/18)