• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a Harbor Freight Trailer

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had my X5 for a few months now, and the regerts of not buying a truck have set in. The x5 is great, but sometimes you need a truck bed to haul large items for the house, yard waste, etc. So to avoid the financial hit of trading already for a.mew and overpriced truck, I chose to spend money on a trailer. But since I have an HOA, it has to be sneaky, enter the folding trailer at Harbor Freight. It's a 4x8 utility trailer that folds up to be about 5" tall, and like 18" deep standing vertically, then it rolls around on casters.

I waited around for one.of.their no exclusion coupon deals and finally picked one up over the weekend. They have two versions, a 1720# one and an 1170# one (give or take on don't remember the real numbers). I got the lighter duty one, but supposedly the only difference is the hubs and the coupler (the larger trailer uses bigger wheels and tires and a 2" coupler). I wanted the bigger one, but they were sold.out and weren't going to be getting more until at least September. Per the store, their trailer line is discontinued anyways, and they'll be coming out with new ones, so who knows. If that's true and those new ones are better, I'm sure I can sell this one and buy and build a new one.

I have not yet finished building it, but here's a few things I've learned. Their instructions are total trash. Only the pictures are worth looking at, and those are out of date. You kinda have to decides how you would build the trailer yourself. It's got some spots that are kinda cheap, and the paint quality is ok at best, but it's a $400 trailer, so I'm satisfied. A lot of people complained about the hardware, but it seemed decent to me. It's all metric 8.8 bolts, with a clear zinc finish. Yellow zinc would have been nice, but again, $400. I was initially planning to install a 2" ball coupler on it, but as it turns out the holes for that are not in the right spots. I'm debating on drilling the second hole out for it, but I may just buy a 1 7/8 ball and be done with it. I also plan to clip the safety chain in half and make it into 2 separate chains instead of one looped chain, and add some latches to keep it securely folded when stored.

Anyways, for $400 its not bad. I wouldn't use it for heavy loads and long highway rides, but for light use around town I think it's a great value. Hopefully it keep me from ordering a new f150 with a coyote and a Whipple.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I really like Harbor Freight! They have a lot of good items for the money, just bought a nice tile saw for $240 ($60 off their regular price). Hope you enjoy your new trailer!

Jim

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS - Did you end up getting a hitch on the X5? If so, what did you end up doing? The quotes I received for the StealthHitch installed were $1700 and $2200 depending on the wiring harness (standard or Active) - both options were the same labor wise ($500 for 4hrs). Since our other vehicle has a factory hitch, I struggle with the expense.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't put a hitch on the X5. Ran into the same issue, the stealth hitch is expensive and my 21 had the prewiring deleted - unacceptable to me on a 100k when new vehicle. I'd have to get the more expensive wiring option because of it, which is just a can bus decoder that doesn't do any of the nice stuff the factory setup does like turning off the rear parking sensors when hooked up to a trailer. There was a diy OEM conversion harness, but it looks like quite a bit of work. Here's the link.

I expect to trade the X5 in around 18 months. It will be out of warranty and I will either have to buy an aftermarket warranty or trade it. It's a nice car, but BMWs are just horrific about not giving you value for the money. The only thing that is really "worth it" to me now is the power. The interior is nice but honestly it doesn't blow me away. Mine is fully loaded minus the trailer hitch and alcantara roof (and air suspension but I consider that a downgrade), but the stuff that you have to pay extra for on this car is absurd. I don't see myself buying another BMW.

Our Expedition has a tow package, and I kept my TBSS which also does, so I don't see myself spending the money and time to add a hitch to my X5. Frankly, if the dealer offered to buy it at the right price I'd drop it off with them today and go back to the TBSS until I found a truck or other sport SUV.

The X5 is nice, don't get me wrong, it's just... How to put this politely... For people who never get their hands dirty? That's just not me, I prefer to do things myself than pay people to do them. I should have just bought a truck or a hellcat SUV, but I was being cheap and thinking "if I'm gonna spend 70k on a truck I may as well spend that on a real luxury SUV". I was wrong, for me at least.

I'm gonna say all this and then eventually decide that using this little trailer and buying a hitch is cheaper than trading for a new truck anyways. A Whipple kit is 10k, that's a lot more than the $2k or whatever to add the tow hitch lol.

Last edited:

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have any issues getting a title for your trailer. Here in PA they are so restrictive I was unable to get a title for a trailer purchased from HF. When I communicated with DMV the woman on the phone very bluntly told me, if its registered (which they were able to do at purchase) we will send you a renewal. Just complete the renewal and it will be registered in Pa again. However we can not title the trailer. So for the past three years I have a registered trailer with no PA title.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I
Did you have any issues getting a title for your trailer. Here in PA they are so restrictive I was unable to get a title for a trailer purchased from HF. When I communicated with DMV the woman on the phone very bluntly told me, if its registered (which they were able to do at purchase) we will send you a renewal. Just complete the renewal and it will be registered in Pa again. However we can not title the trailer. So for the past three years I have a registered trailer with no PA title.
Haven't looked into it yet. Honestly I debated on being a total criminal and not worrying about it. I see a lot of trailers around here without plates or anything, and it's just gonna go from the house to Home Depot or the dump a couple miles away.

That said, the process looked easy and inexpensive so I'll probably do it just to be legit.

EDIT: Looked into it slightly more. Looks like trailers under 2000lbs don't get titles in FL. They gave me some sort of paperwork that looked like a title at the store. Will have to look at it when I get home.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Understood, here in PA its nuts, they almost force you to be a criminal. Apparently PA doesn't accept the POA paperwork so they don't title unless you do the special inspection and pay an astronomical amount. I was told to title in Maine or New Hampshire for a year then transfer to PA. Haven't done it. Figure if they keep sending me stickers I have no need for a title.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Understood, here in PA its nuts, they almost force you to be a criminal. Apparently PA doesn't accept the POA paperwork so they don't title unless you do the special inspection and pay an astronomical amount. I was told to title in Maine or New Hampshire for a year then transfer to PA. Haven't done it. Figure if they keep sending me stickers I have no need for a title.
I figure a title is really for selling stuff. If you can register it without a title, then the title is optional.

RNYCLV

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figure a title is really for selling stuff. If you can register it without a title, then the title is optional.
Couldn't agree more, and if I end up selling it will be to a friend who doesn't care either.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't put a hitch on the X5. Ran into the same issue, the stealth hitch is expensive and my 21 had the prewiring deleted - unacceptable to me on a 100k when new vehicle. I'd have to get the more expensive wiring option because of it, which is just a can bus decoder that doesn't do any of the nice stuff the factory setup does like turning off the rear parking sensors when hooked up to a trailer. There was a diy OEM conversion harness, but it looks like quite a bit of work. Here's the link.

I expect to trade the X5 in around 18 months. It will be out of warranty and I will either have to buy an aftermarket warranty or trade it. It's a nice car, but BMWs are just horrific about not giving you value for the money. The only thing that is really "worth it" to me now is the power. The interior is nice but honestly it doesn't blow me away. Mine is fully loaded minus the trailer hitch and alcantara roof (and air suspension but I consider that a downgrade), but the stuff that you have to pay extra for on this car is absurd. I don't see myself buying another BMW.

Our Expedition has a tow package, and I kept my TBSS which also does, so I don't see myself spending the money and time to add a hitch to my X5. Frankly, if the dealer offered to buy it at the right price I'd drop it off with them today and go back to the TBSS until I found a truck or other sport SUV.

The X5 is nice, don't get me wrong, it's just... How to put this politely... For people who never get their hands dirty? That's just not me, I prefer to do things myself than pay people to do them. I should have just bought a truck or a hellcat SUV, but I was being cheap and thinking "if I'm gonna spend 70k on a truck I may as well spend that on a real luxury SUV". I was wrong, for me at least.

I'm gonna say all this and then eventually decide that using this little trailer and buying a hitch is cheaper than trading for a new truck anyways. A Whipple kit is 10k, that's a lot more than the $2k or whatever to add the tow hitch lol.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Yes, with BMW's there are millions of ways to configure a vehicle, and its tough to find one with all the options one seeks, as some of the options are contingent on others. One bizarre example is the X7, it doesn't come with climate vents for the 3rd row unless you either select the "cold weather package" or if you add the 3rd row A/C option ala carte. If your mind changes, look into an extended warranty before its out of warranty. You can get them through the BWM dealership to ensure its a plan that the dealerships service department works well with. I would also venture to say that most of the routine maintenance can be completed by a DIY, just might need a took like BimmerLink/Code to reset the service intervals or code the battery.

Good luck with the trailer and the trips to HD!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I was thinking about a diy kayak trailer (before buying my new aluminum utility trailer} seems that about 2/3rd’s of the trailers for sale didn’t have titles. In many states they will do a vin search at the inspection statio or office and title it as homemade.

When using the trailer, if you have a registration and a tag, would a title even be needed?

Jim

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right, Title not needed, just keep the certificate of origin and create a bill of sale if you ever sell it. You may not get a title in many states with a "light" trailer, but you will hopefully get a plate and registration from DMV so it will be road legal. Don't sweat the fact that they won't give you a title, it's not needed in many states.

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At first I thought you bought a HF trailer to tow the boat, I was gonna say Danger, Will Robinson...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS I support this decision. SUV+Trailer is the ticket.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some States don't issue titles for trailers, jet ski's, etc. What you get is a "transferable registration." My Son bought a stand-up Jet Ski from a guy in NY that came with a transferable title. Took it to the NJ DMV and they issued him a NJ registration that is transferable.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS I support this decision. SUV+Trailer is the ticket.
Yeah, we'll see how long it lasts. It certainly has it's perks, don't mind thrashing a $400 trailer like I would a $70k truck, lol.

One other thing I neglected to mention before, you have to undo like 6 bolts to fold it. Not a huge deal, takes a couple of minutes, but not as simple as a lot of other folding stuff. It makes sense though, it still has to hold a bunch of weight.

A few other thoughts. This things heavy, 250 pounds probably. I think I would have paid another $200 or so for one made of aluminum if it was noticably lighter. The 1700 pound version deletes a cross member at the tongue the lighter duty version keeps. I think I want to get a replacement on plate to have one mounted both top and bottom. I may see about getting the 1700 pound coupler mount too.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My local U-Haul has some great trailers for under $35-40 a day. I sold my truck and happy with my choice to go with a Hemi SUV. I’ll gladly rent a trailer on occasion when hauling bigger stuff.

Appreciate your dilemma as I’ve had a cheap North Star 5x7 and hid that under my wood deck, until I replaced the deck with a concrete slab and fence haha.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My house in NC had a big deck that I never did anything with except rake leaves under it. It's only now that I recognize what an awesome storage area it could have been. Other than the spiders. The spiders part was less than ideal, probably a big reason I never did anything with it.

After thinking about the X5 more, I've come to the conclusion that it's a great vehicle, I just expected more out of a "luxury" vehicle that was 100k new. Nothing it has or does feels like it's some head and shoulders different, it's just that little bit nicer.

That got me thinking, what am I even comparing it to? Nobody else is making similar ho to the M50i or M60i except the even more expensive Germans. Hellcat Durango was on my radar as was Trackhawk, but they were more money and are out of production. Explorer ST is the only sporty domestic SUV left that comes loaded, and it's way down on power, but can make big power modded and tuned... Until it blows up. Tahoe RST with the 6.2L doesn't offer you cooled seats, which is a hard no in Florida. It's also down on power, but you can at least bolt up a Maggie. Jeep doesn't even offer an SRT Grand Cherokee anymore, I'm most disappointed with them.

Anyways, I'm already looking at mods for my trailer lol.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finished the initial build on it over the weekend. A few thoughts.

I hate the wiring. It's just not ideal. I ran ground wires to the lights (HF would have you just ground to the painted trailer frame), but the wiring they ship with it is kinda junk.

When folded it takes up a bit more space than I expected. It's not huge, and I still got it to hide away in my utility area, but it's bigger than you think, it's a bit over 6 feet tall in my configuration.

That leads me into some of the mods I started with. 5" casters to replace the like 1.5" ones it came with. It took swapping the bracket around to get them to fit, but they're on and they will roll on my grass (not easily mind you, but it goes).

The folding aspect of it is a little sketchy. When you fold the back half up, it's only held up by tension on the hinge. The tighter you make that hinge, the more it holds.it up, but also the harder it is to fold. I'm going to install a pair of toggle latches to solve this issue, that way there's no way it could fall even if the hinge tension were loosened. It also would help tie the two halves together and make it easier to push around on the casters.

The two halves have 4 carriage bolts you have to undo and 2 hex bolts that have to be removed to fold it. That's the sort of stuff that is easily lost, lol. I'm gonna add a little storage box or pouch for that stuff. I'll also probably add a few more bolts between the two halves, the two halves are bolted together with just a single pair of 8.8 M10 bolts.... But there's room for like 6-8.

I decided to not mess with the 1 7/8 coupler. I bought a 2" couple, and one set of holes doesn't line up. So I'm gonna drill it out and make the new holes for it, might add a top one too because the coupler has a spot for it.

Also, big shout out to tractor supply. I went to Lowe's and home Depot looking for some grade 8 bolts, and they were a mess. No bolts, no nuts, everything stolen, a cavalcade of problems. Tractor supply had what I needed (though sadly they didn't have nylock nuts in grade 8 yellow zinc) and it was 80 cents since you pay by weight. The same bolts were gonna be $10 at home Depot/Lowe's. Dunno why I even bothered going anywhere else first.