• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow and anchor chain

We're just really careful to hold the chain away from the bow when we drop and retrieve. I've thought about applying that clear 3M film they use on car bumpers up on that area, but hasn't been an issue for me yet.

Nope . I hold the chain away from the bow when I drop and retrieve. But our lake is only 20' deep so I don't use more than 5' of chain and then rope to tie off.

+1 ^^^ We are extra careful when deploying and retrieving the anchor for that reason... Although we’ve still nicked a few small spots putting it away once in the boat... really looking forward to lining our anchor locker properly so that we can get the anchor out of our starboard bow storage, to where it belongs... going to double up a similar mat to what’s in our ski locker bottom in ours to keep any dings or fiberglass damage to a minimum...

I run a "Navy Anchor" style with a rubberized coating without any chain. Has worked really well for us, even in current up to about 6knts or so on the Ohio. While our boat is tiny and requires very little holding power, I have friends with much larger boats and the same setup. Using more scope in current helps to ensure the anchor has plenty of "side pull" to keep it set.

Small box anchor...no chain needed. Works great in mud, sand and weeds...

My bow gets marked up if I am not super careful. I run with 6-ft of chain. Obviously tough to do when the boat is rocking.

I have found that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleans up the marks on the white really well.

5 feet of chain for anchor rode with 3/1 scope minimum, more as needed on rougher days to keep the anchor dug in.
I don't pull the rode across the gunnel to avoid chain marks.

Brought up on the ocean in Maine so well maintained anchor/mooring tackle essential to boating safety.
Each to his own but I'm amazed at what some boaters will call "anchor line"...dry rotted poly ski rope does not an anchor line make.

Small box anchor...no chain needed. Works great in mud, sand and weeds...
Same here....except I actually use the 13lb baby box. It holds extremely well even with several other boats tied to ours. No chain and only 2:1 line/depth.

May want to try a 13lb Mantus with 2:1 anchor line, no chain. Those things stick like glue.

im trying to use the original style so it can fit properly in the anchor hatch. but with the boat rocking and trying to pull the anchor out chain always bangs the bow. im gonna try same style heavier anchor with no chain and see. thanks

im trying to use the original style so it can fit properly in the anchor hatch. but with the boat rocking and trying to pull the anchor out chain always bangs the bow. im gonna try same style heavier anchor with no chain and see. thanks
I think I would try the coated chain before I tried a heavier anchor. I have never had luck getting a danforth style anchor to bite without a chain. Just my $.02.

The chain is more important than the anchor weight, IMO.

Back