• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow roller

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry if this has been asked before. The bow roller is not supposed to turn, right? I switched my stock roller with the stoltz that everyone recommends, I see that when I load and unload the boat there's a lot of friction between the roller and the boat. The original roller left some marks on the boat and I don't want to make it worse. Thanks

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The center part of hte bow roller should turn. make sure the metal 'wings' that the bow roller mounts to are spread apart enough to allow the center part to move. I had to spread the 'wings' apart when I installed my Stolz bow roller.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The center part of hte bow roller should turn. make sure the metal 'wings' that the bow roller mounts to are spread apart enough to allow the center part to move. I had to spread the 'wings' apart when I installed my Stolz bow roller.
I'm not sure mine does. I'll check it out, thanks.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The problem with switching the rollers is that the stoltz center section is slightly wide than the "wings". When I replaced mine, I found that just prying the wings out was not the solution. I found the wings still made contact with the roller. You actually need to pry the wings out where they are mounted to the winch arm, but then from the middle of the wing, bend them back so they are straight.

That solved my problem.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The problem with switching the rollers is that the stoltz center section is slightly wide than the "wings". When I replaced mine, I found that just prying the wings out was not the solution. I found the wings still made contact with the roller. You actually need to pry the wings out where they are mounted to the winch arm, but then from the middle of the wing, bend them back so they are straight.

That solved my problem.
So the middle part is supposed to roll? Mine was a tight fit like yours, I just left it alone. I will have to pry open the wings. Thanks

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with Ramp N Clamp. I've been pretty happy with that. No bow roller.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I ended up cutting a 1/2" off each side of my Stolz roller. Perfect!

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just took a look, and my boat doesn't make contact with the center piece, only with the side wings. Those don't turn either, are they supposed to? Maybe the bolt is on too tight. Thoughts.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just took a look, and my boat doesn't make contact with the center piece, only with the side wings. Those don't turn either, are they supposed to? Maybe the bolt is on too tight. Thoughts.
Possibly, worth a try to loosen the bolt. You definitely want the boat resting on the center piece.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What are you guys buying(part numbers?)? I have the opposite problem where my center piece looks too small. My center rolls but the ends don't if I tighten the bolts. Right now the bolts are tightened. I am not sure if the end pieces are supposed to roll or be tightened or if it matters.

I believe I have the 4" center roller from Stoltz

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I went with Ramp N Clamp. I've been pretty happy with that. No bow roller.
This will work even if you don't power onto or off the trailer right? I kinda just push the boat, tie up then park the trailer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It isn't imperative that your bow roller "rolls" if you have a stolz. It is going to be firmly gripped even if it is cut to fit, because you will tighten the thru bolt that secures it. You can add spacers and get more room, but you will then have to modify not only the roller, but the bolt may be too short. This isn't rocket science, and you don't put enough of a load on the two to three inches your boat slides up the roller. And under loaded weight against the roller, it can turn enough even if you can't turn it by hand. Secondly, the new hulls have a very wide bow and they will not contact the center roller often, just like your noticing @Av8tor07 . I don't want to downplay the endorsement for ramp n clamp, but I hated it. I still had to do the same amount of work, as it would have play in it if I didn't use the winch strap. It is very important that your boat is not only secure on the trailer, but that it can't move ANY on the trailer when traveling. Even a 1/2" forward and back will cause scuffing on your hull. This is just an example of what works for one, isn't necessarily a solution for another. Some want that bow roller to roll, some don't even want to fool with a bow roller, we all have a choice to find the product that works best for us!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are you guys buying(part numbers?)? I have the opposite problem where my center piece looks too small. My center rolls but the ends don't if I tighten the bolts. Right now the bolts are tightened. I am not sure if the end pieces are supposed to roll or be tightened or if it matters.

I believe I have the 4" center roller from Stoltz

That center section is not the right roller that comes with the 4" Ultimate kit. It honestly looks like they sent you the new RP-355 3.5" roller intended to work on some Shoreland'r trailers for 19' boats as those stock rollers measure 3.6" width. You can see in this thread comparing a 4" Ultimate to the new RP-355 https://jetboaters.net/threads/stoltz-ultimate-bow-stop-roller-dont-care-for-fit-fixed.10472/. Typically a Stoltz Ultimate-4 comes with RP-444 center roller and two RP-434 bells on the outside.

Last edited:

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That center section is not the right roller that comes with the 4" Ultimate kit. It honestly looks like they sent you the new RP-355 3.5" roller intended to work on some Shoreland'r trailers for 19' boats as those stock rollers measure 3.6" width. You can see in this thread comparing a 4" Ultimate to the new RP-355 https://jetboaters.net/threads/stoltz-ultimate-bow-stop-roller-dont-care-for-fit-fixed.10472/. Typically a Stoltz Ultimate-4 comes with RP-444 center roller and two RP-434 bells on the outside.
Mine is exactly as you described it. Wings are 434 and center is 444

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am almost certain mine is RP-444. I will be looking at it next week. I wet slip my boat and the trailer is in open storage. Not that it matters for this topic, but I blew my tranny on my expedition so I am getting one rebuilt with upgrades, that should be ready Friday. I then will pull my boat, pull my pumps (because I feel like something is in there) and take a look at my bow roller.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Michael Rasmussen

RP-444 doesn't have that cylindrical section in the middle. It goes into a more "V" shape.
image.jpeg

RP-355 has the cylindrical section in the middle.
IMG_20160801_101008981.jpg

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are probably correct, and that is why there is a gap between my center roller and the bracket. Time to order the 444 or I should check to see if that IS what I ordered, because I thought it was.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It will have the model number stamped in the roller. Just check it and see what it says but it looks like the newer one for the 3.5" roller.