• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Box Anchor or Sand Spike? What say you?

mspis65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Looking to start purchasing things for my "on order - don't know when it will get here" Yamaha 252 SD.
I was looking to go with a traditional anchor in the Anchor locker and either a Box Anchor or Sand Spike to secure the back end when at the beach or Sandbar.
Any suggestions as to which will be better? We will be in the Gulf so there will be waves but nothing crazy.
Thanks in advance.

For stern options, I keep one of these spikes from West Marine and a basic mushroom anchor. The two combined were less than the cost of one name brand ShoreSpike or one box anchor. I like that I have a couple of different options and I also have the ability to use both together with my bow anchor to give three points of anchoring if ever needed. I've never used a box anchor but people obviously rave about them. Personally, I'd be hesitant to have that sharp thing underwater off the back of my boat.

Note, I'd never use a mushroom anchor as my main bow anchor, but it works fine for throwing off the stern in shallow water.

For front anchor, I highly recommend either the G7 or FX7 from Fortress. The G7 fits as is, I think the FX7 may need the bar trimmed down just a hair to fit in the anchor locker space of a 252. They're super light and hold well. I have a G7 with 6 foot of 1/4" hot-dipped galvanized chain attached and have the chain wrapped with a chafe sleeve for extra protection against it hitting the boat while throwing or gathering the anchor.

I have the "large" box anchor for the bow and a "small" box anchor for the stern and the combo works perfectly even in wind/chop.

I purchased both from "Slide Anchor" but the cheaper versions on Amazon look OK (its pretty much a galvanized hunk of metal) but you have to make sure that the bolt that secures the arm to the anchor doesn't back out - most people just add a longer bolt and a lock nut.

The "small" version of the box anchor worked great on my previous boat ('06 SX230) but it would not hold my current boat once the wind/chop picked up so I bought the "large" which has been rock solid - they do not make a "medium" size. Box anchors can be folded to save space but I just leave both of mine under the port side bow bench seat. The large is a pig at 26lbs but you basically drop it in the water and forget about it - no measuring out rope/chain to get it to set correctly. Many on this site have good luck with other types of anchors but I'm lazy. :)

I never beach my boat so I gave no experience with the sandspike thingee's.

Looking to start purchasing things for my "on order - don't know when it will get here" Yamaha 252 SD.
I was looking to go with a traditional anchor in the Anchor locker and either a Box Anchor or Sand Spike to secure the back end when at the beach or Sandbar.
Any suggestions as to which will be better? We will be in the Gulf so there will be waves but nothing crazy.
Thanks in advance.
I went with the Sand Spike option and have no complaints. It looks as if we boat in the same area and I have anchored off the local islands with no issues. I am thinking of a Box Anchor also just to test it out for its holding power.

Here is how I store my Sand Spike in the wet storage area of the boat. Credit for this idea goes to @Sotally Tober

SandAnchor.jpg

Nice storage location! That area is made a bit more difficult to access on mine because of the cushions that sit on top of the hatch so I keep mine on the floor next to the captain's chair against the gunwale. That way, it's also handy as a weapon in case we're ever boarded by pirates! :D

... That way, it's also handy as a weapon in case we're ever boarded by pirates! :D

lol, Best reason to have the sand spike I have seen so far, lol

I went with the Sand Spike option and have no complaints. It looks as if we boat in the same area and I have anchored off the local islands with no issues. I am thinking of a Box Anchor also just to test it out for its holding power.

Here is how I store my Sand Spike in the wet storage area of the boat. Credit for this idea goes to @Sotally Tober

View attachment 161039
I love this idea.

Back