• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Break in with stock oil or synthetic?

Onefast96svt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve yet to break in my AR240. I need to install my motion pro magnets so...Should I drain oil install synthetic and magnet or just drop filter install magnet and top off? I will be running synthetic after break in oil change.

What’s y'alls experience with Yamaha YES warranty? Is it still valid if you do your own oil change and keep records?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I normally break in cars and trucks with the oil they come with then switch to synthetic. In 91 I bought a little Nissan Sentra SE-R I brought it home from the dealer and put mobile one synthetic oil in it. I also change the oil every 3000 miles with mobile one. At about 60,000 miles I got noticeably more power and better gas mileage about 2 miles per gallon better. I figured that’s probably when the motor broken so now I break and motors first then switch to synthetic oil. I was 18 to say I drove that car hard was an understatement.

Onefast96svt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too know the meaning of driven hard, mustangs all my life from 16. Only 2 pedal positions off and on! I just like to do things right from the get go and figured there might be a benefit from day 1.

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
For years, my new vehicles that come with dino oil, get replaced with dino oil for the first 2-3 changes. Reasoning is, I want to see some metal shavings during oil change, ensuring that cylinders and piston surfaces are mating properly. From then on out, it's a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Some new engines come with special break in oil from the factory, some may not. I don't know what's in these as the factory fill. Yamaha recommends Yamalube 4W 10w-40 (conventional) oil, and because of that I'd stick with it through the first 10 hour change and at least through the next 50 hours to get the rings seated. You want a little bit of wear during break in. Try to vary the engine rpm and load a lot through the first 10 hours.

If you go with synthetic before that you may find oil consumption is higher during the life of the engines because the rings didn't seat properly. If you want to use the Yamalube Advantage (20 years/5,000 hour) warranty then you'll have to always use Yamaha oil and filters, keep receipts, and upload them. If you don't care about that extra warranty, and just want to keep the YES warranty the manual lists several acceptable oil types: 10w30, 10w40, 20w40, 20w50 and temperature ranges. If you do the work yourself keep receipts and document everything you do, it should not void the YES warranty. Oil changes on these boats are so easy I can be done in less time than it would take to hook up the trailer and put the boat on it.

Onefast96svt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for heads up guys. I figured about the rings seating, should thought about that first.