• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bumpy rides and speed on plane.

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I just bought my first boat ever last month and this is as much time I have learning about it, and of course it is a Jet Boat!

I learned how to get the boat on plane but sometimes I’m riding with my small kids and while I understand all the benefits of being on plane I want to know if after I get on plane which usually happens when I’m doing about 20MPH, can I lower the speed to let’s say 10MPH and still stay on plane? Or I have to be going fast speed (20MPH or more) to stay on plane?

Another question is how to handle the bumpy rides. I usually slow down 2-3 seconds after the boat starts to get bumpy and then of course the boat comes back to normal ride, but then I can’t get on plane! Haha I’ve read that I need to trim the engine to avoid bumpy rides, but of course we can’t do that with jet boats. Any suggestions on how to smooth the bumpyness while going fast? Also, any chance of capsizing with the bumpyness or worst case is that passengers or me, or both will be kicked out of the boat, or none of this could even happen?

Thanks a lot!!!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
you could slow your planing speed with trim tabs, otherwise your stuck with 18-20mph planing speed. If its that rough A: you probably shouldn't be out there, B: you should slow to off plane speeds and plow through it. C: sometimes going faster is the answer depending on the period and size of the waves.
If you are at the point of capsizing you shouldn't be out there. pick your days accordingly.

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
you could slow your planing speed with trim tabs, otherwise your stuck with 18-20mph planing speed. If its that rough A: you probably shouldn't be out there, B: you should slow to off plane speeds and plow through it. C: sometimes going faster is the answer depending on the period and size of the waves.
If you are at the point of capsizing you shouldn't be out there. pick your days accordingly.
Thanks! It hasn’t been roughed at all any of the days I’ve been out. The bumpy rides is because the boat is going about 20MPH and at that point on that particular instance, it got bumpy. I’ve slowed down and then try to get on plane again and there is no bumps at all.

I’ve never being even close to capsizing. Again, I’ve been been is bad or rough conditions. Again, whenever the boat gets bumpy, which is normal for any boat no matter the conditions, I would slow down about 2 seconds later. I was just playing scenarios for people with experience and knowledge on this topic on the possible scenarios that could play out if I don’t slow down. It looks like you are not in this group.

I appreciate your opinion but bumpy rides aren’t about the conditions for any boat. According to tons of articles and videos I’ve read and seen, all boats get bumpy when going at a certain speed.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I appreciate your opinion but bumpy rides aren’t about the conditions for any boat. According to tons of articles and videos I’ve read and seen, all boats get bumpy when going at a certain speed.
I'm not sure what you mean by this...... If the conditions are good, the boat is smooth no matter the speed. I can tell you from experience that trim tabs help immensely on Yamaha boats. Where I was going around 20mph through decent chop, now I'll go 28-32 with no issues at all. Can you tell us what kind of jet boat you have?

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
I'm not sure what you mean by this...... If the conditions are good, the boat is smooth no matter the speed. I can tell you from experience that trim tabs help immensely on Yamaha boats. Where I was going around 20mph through decent chop, now I'll go 28-32 with no issues at all. Can you tell us what kind of jet boat you have?
The normal weather conditions maybe good but bigger boats creating huge wakes on your path isn’t something you can control (and not a reason not to go boating), especially if you are trying to make it to the boat ramp and that is the only path to make it.
I wasn’t aware of trim tabs and now educating myself about it.
14’ Four Winns Jet Boat

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Or even going through your own wakes. I’ll give you this example, I was on a lake a couple of days ago, the water was very quite, no waves at all of any type and I was the only one out there. I did a nice ride put the boat around 25MPH and it went smooth, on my way back I had to go through my own wakes, so it was bumpy. This is the kind of help I’m looking for, how to handle these situations. Of course, if the weather isn’t good I’m not going to be out there, especially being a newbie and much less with my small kids.

None of what I read mentioned the conditions of the water when the boats get bumpy. So, thank you for bringing this up and explaining in the proper way —it made think of that day I created my own wakes and realized the bumpyness is conditions related. All of my issues have been with other boats and my own wakes thus far.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Or even going through your own wakes. I’ll give you this example, I was on a lake a couple of days ago, the water was very quite, no waves at all of any type and I was the only one out there. I did a nice ride put the boat around 25MPH and it went smooth, on my way back I had to go through my own wakes, so it was bumpy. This is the kind of help I’m looking for, how to handle these situations. Of course, if the weather isn’t good I’m not going to be out there, especially being a newbie and much less with my small kids.

None of what I read mentioned the conditions of the water when the boats get bumpy. So, thank you for bringing this up and explaining in the proper way —it made think of that day I created my own wakes and realized the bumpyness is conditions related. All of my issues have been with other boats and my own wakes thus far.
To me this sounds normal. My suggestion is to get a bigger boat with a V shaped bottom. I believe yours is more flat causing this bumpy ride.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When we approach other wakes (or our own from turning around) we just slow down a bit (no coming off of plane). Once we bounce over the wake, back to cruising speed. The angle that you approach wakes is important as well. You'll learn what angle works best for you with a little more experience.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
When we approach other wakes (or our own from turning around) we just slow down a bit (no coming off of plane). Once we bounce over the wake, back to cruising speed. The angle that you approach wakes is important as well. You'll learn what angle works best for you with a little more experience.
This is a good point. Typically try to come into the wake at a 30-45° angle. When about to hit the wake (I always tell everyone to hold on) turn away hard to lean the boat slightly on its side and roll over the wake, then quickly straighten out the boat. It takes practice but if done properly it'll be smooth. I never slow down unless everyone has a drink in their hands or the wake is over 3'. Banging on the other side is not fun.

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
To me this sounds normal. My suggestion is to get a bigger boat with a V shaped bottom. I believe yours is more flat causing this bumpy ride.
Thanks! This is also what I was looking for... how normal it was...

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Thank you! Appreciate the good tips.
Another scenario I just thought of:
Yesterday in the Bay Area we had wakes from a few bigger boats, now I know what to do with them. The ocean’s waves were 2-3 inches high at most, and most of the time (I guess when there was no waves at all), the boat was smooth, but when the waves got a bit higher (probably 2-3), then it became bumpy. I would consider 2-3 inches being normal whether conditions. I have a chart on the waves tier and how dangerous they could be. I also check the Small Craft Advisories, all good yesterday.

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
You are able to slow down and stay on plane?

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
This is a good point. Typically try to come into the wake at a 30-45° angle. When about to hit the wake (I always tell everyone to hold on) turn away hard to lean the boat slightly on its side and roll over the wake, then quickly straighten out the boat. It takes practice but if done properly it'll be smooth. I never slow down unless everyone has a drink in their hands or the wake is over 3'. Banging on the other side is not fun.
Perfect! You guys are so helpful!

I was approaching them completely wrong. I was going into them straight ahead. I’ll keep this in mind.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So a few more considerations...

First, it depends on where you are boating, too. If you update your profile for your location, we can give you more specific help. Ocean is very different from river is different from lake...

Second, understand that when we say, 'on plane' that is a planing hull coming out of the water and riding on top of the water. If there is chop, riding on top of that will necessarily be bumpy. If there are waves, your passenger comfort will depend on whether you are with or against the waves (or taking them on your beam). A planing hull is different from a displacement hull, like a canoe, that slices through the water. Displacement hulls are a much smoother ride, use much less energy to maintain speed, and can't go at high speed (the water friction on the hull limits them). (Then there are combination hulls and so-forth, but you get the idea). Most jet boats are planing hulls, so your ride is going to depend upon what you see as the surface of the water ahead of your boat. It takes a bit to learn what to look for to see a big bump in chop--but once you do you can either steer to avoid the worst (as they said, 30-45 deg angle is better) or decrease speed to take it a bit better.

Third, remember that waves, if you are dealing with them, are periodic. What that means is that there will be speeds that are very bumpy, where your boat is in the harmonic, and speeds below and above that speed that may be less so. So you need to try some options, including speeding up a bit. Generally, speeding up will be more bumpy, but there can be times when speeding up will put you just out of the harmonic of wave action and you will actually get a better ride.

Fourth, as you are figuring all of this out... a) smaller adjustments are better than big ones, b) the fewer people on the boat for whom you need to 'perform' the better, c) remember (in that connection) that the weight of your boat matters, too; so a boat full of people and fuel will not bounce as much as one with just you and a 1/3 tank of gas.

Hope that helps some.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks! It hasn’t been roughed at all any of the days I’ve been out. The bumpy rides is because the boat is going about 20MPH and at that point on that particular instance, it got bumpy. I’ve slowed down and then try to get on plane again and there is no bumps at all.

I’ve never being even close to capsizing. Again, I’ve been been is bad or rough conditions. Again, whenever the boat gets bumpy, which is normal for any boat no matter the conditions, I would slow down about 2 seconds later. I was just playing scenarios for people with experience and knowledge on this topic on the possible scenarios that could play out if I don’t slow down. It looks like you are not in this group.

@trader0817 ......I respectfully disagree. @Dixemon @Dean P @redthumper9 have ALL given you EXCELLENT excellent advice - listen to it!!!!! I have driven every boat imaginable and here are some facts: there is a difference between "bumpy" and "porpoising". Bumpy refers to going through normal waves or chop from other boats. This can be handled by slowing down or approaching the waves/chop from a different angle. Porpoising occurs when a boat moves up and down due to imbalance that can be rectified by trim tabs if available. If you don't have trim tabs you can often rectify porpoising by increasing your speed or shifting people or weight in your boat to another area. Aftermarket trim tabs can be purchased but should not be necessary. It is NOT normal for a boat to be bumpy - as in uncomfortably so - 90% of the time I boat it is not bumpy, the boat just skims along the surface. Depending on the number of people in my boat (2020 SX195) the wind and the water surface I can ride nicely on plane anywhere from 15 MPH to 22 MPH. More people, bigger wind or rougher water usually require more speed. Sometimes when there are one foot waves I will hear the boat hull go through them but this is NORMAL and in no way dangerous. These boats are very stable so if you have fear of having people ejected or capsizing you have no business out in that kind of weather. Be careful what you read on the internet - the members on this forum are far more knowledgeable than 99% of the posters on the internet. Jet Boats are NOT like I/O boats (boats with out drives and propellers). They are safer and more stable. Take some time and read the posts on this forum. You will learn a lot, be a better and safer captain and enjoy your boat a lot more! :cool:

Last edited:

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my family has a 9 month old and a 4yr old, I’m really careful with the baby on the boat. I’m in a very busy ICW and bay with some massive boats and a Navy of overweight under powered rental pontoons. I’m standing probably 80% of the time looking for wakes and waves. I slow way down to cross wakes which helps out a lot, for normal sized boats/wakes I bring it back to 20 ish, (my boat is 24ft, so I got some hull and length on you) biggest concern is not having the babies head bouncing all around.

If I’m crossing a big wake from a cruiser/big center consul/off shore boat, I slow down to off plane speeds, and kick in a little throttle a second or so before hitting their wake, it’s gets the bow up enough so it doesn’t get stuffed and cuts the waves a little bit to keep us from rocking all around.

I did cross the wake of 70ft+ plus off shore boat going opposite direction, they were throwing a big wake, I had the throttles to the stops going about 50mph running from a storm, do not recommend. It would have been a lot more fun if I was in someone else’s boat and not my brand new boat worrying about damage after we got airborne a few times. (Kids/wife were not with me for that one, I would probably be dead)

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
So a few more considerations...

First, it depends on where you are boating, too. If you update your profile for your location, we can give you more specific help. Ocean is very different from river is different from lake...

Second, understand that when we say, 'on plane' that is a planing hull coming out of the water and riding on top of the water. If there is chop, riding on top of that will necessarily be bumpy. If there are waves, your passenger comfort will depend on whether you are with or against the waves (or taking them on your beam). A planing hull is different from a displacement hull, like a canoe, that slices through the water. Displacement hulls are a much smoother ride, use much less energy to maintain speed, and can't go at high speed (the water friction on the hull limits them). (Then there are combination hulls and so-forth, but you get the idea). Most jet boats are planing hulls, so your ride is going to depend upon what you see as the surface of the water ahead of your boat. It takes a bit to learn what to look for to see a big bump in chop--but once you do you can either steer to avoid the worst (as they said, 30-45 deg angle is better) or decrease speed to take it a bit better.

Third, remember that waves, if you are dealing with them, are periodic. What that means is that there will be speeds that are very bumpy, where your boat is in the harmonic, and speeds below and above that speed that may be less so. So you need to try some options, including speeding up a bit. Generally, speeding up will be more bumpy, but there can be times when speeding up will put you just out of the harmonic of wave action and you will actually get a better ride.

Fourth, as you are figuring all of this out... a) smaller adjustments are better than big ones, b) the fewer people on the boat for whom you need to 'perform' the better, c) remember (in that connection) that the weight of your boat matters, too; so a boat full of people and fuel will not bounce as much as one with just you and a 1/3 tank of gas.

Hope that helps some.
Thank you so much!! This is very help. While I couldn’t reply yesterday, I did get to read it and apply all tips received from you and most others. My ride yesterday was a lot smoother than before and waves sometimes were about 3-4 inches high, which were bigger that the last time. But with all of your tips, I was to handle it much better. I’m looking into the trim tabs for my boat.

I’m going to update my profile but in the meantime I live in FL in the Tampa Bay Area. I’ll be mostly boating in lakes, the Bay Area, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.

As of this post it’s been mainly lakes and the Bay Area.

All of your tips have been super helpful and can already feel an smoother ride.

@Dean P
Here is pic of my bow, do have a V bow:
595AFC78-4B1E-4633-BFA7-E3367FE403D0.jpeg

FD2AD36E-FCC0-44DE-91CD-98BFE1F69D77.jpeg

trader0817

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
@trader0817 ......I respectfully disagree. @Dixemon @Dean P @redthumper9 have ALL given you EXCELLENT excellent advice - listen to it!!!!! I have driven every boat imaginable and here are some facts: there is a difference between "bumpy" and "porpoising". Bumpy refers to going through normal waves or chop from other boats. This can be handled by slowing down or approaching the waves/chop from a different angle. Porpoising occurs when a boat moves up and down due to imbalance that can be rectified by trim tabs if available. If you don't have trim tabs you can often rectify porpoising by increasing your speed or shifting people or weight in your boat to another area. Aftermarket trim tabs can be purchased but should not be necessary. It is NOT normal for a boat to be bumpy - as in uncomfortably so - 90% of the time I boat it is not bumpy, the boat just skims along the surface. Depending on the number of people in my boat (2020 SX195) the wind and the water surface I can ride nicely on plane anywhere from 15 MPH to 22 MPH. More people, bigger wind or rougher water usually require more speed. Sometimes when there are one foot waves I will hear the boat hull go through them but this is NORMAL and in no way dangerous. These boats are very stable so if you have fear of having people ejected or capsizing you have no business out in that kind of weather. Be careful what you read on the internet - the members on this forum are far more knowledgeable than 99% of the posters on the internet. Jet Boats are NOT like I/O boats (boats with out drives and propellers). They are safer and more stable. Take some time and read the posts on this forum. You will learn a lot, be a better and safer captain and enjoy your boat a lot more! :cool:
Thank you! I appreciate sharing your experience and providing some tips. Just to clarify again, I have no fear of capsizing as I clarified in the previous post and this is because I’m out there in good weather conditions and I used to slow down a lot after 2-3 seconds on bumpy rides —now I don’t slow down so much but apply the tips received from most of you, especially the one about the angles and how to approach them. I already had much smoother rides yesterday.

BTW, 2020 SX195, very nice boat!!