• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2016 242 Limited SE Today

ttaylo5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a deposit on a 2016 242 Limited SE with a dealer about 2 hours away. I am supposed to see it for the first time and complete the purchase this afternoon. I asked for a test drive. The sales guy said we will put it in the local river and run it. This is my first ever boat purchase. Any advice on what to look for when inspecting the boat before purchase? Do you recommend I buy an extended warranty through the dealer? Thanks in advance.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on finding a boat right now!!! After it's warmed up check the oil and make sure it looks good, not milky. Check to see if everything works. Look under the hull for exposed fiberglass. See if the cleanout plugs come out easy or hard if they come out at all. I'm sure that someone else will chime in with more to look for.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolute best advice I'm capable of giving......Leave your emotions in the truck.

You're going to look at your first boat, it's going to be shiny and nice and look amazing, and you've spent days thinking about fun times on the lake with the family and lounging in the water with the stereo on, or catching air off the wake, or any other number of things. DO NOT fall in love with your new boat until you sign the papers. Be prepared to walk away if it isn't the right boat, has issues that make the deal less than ideal, or you just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about how it's been cared for.

Check everything you can think of. Looks at every square inch you can get your eyes on. Open compartments, turn levers and knobs, check under the carpet, check inside the storage areas, look at the trailer, look at the tires/hubs/fenders/lights/coupler. If it "looks" well maintained, it probably is. You can see the true maintenance by look past the obvious things, and looking at the details. Are the pivots well lubricated, or have they just been pressure washed? Is the brake bleed screw rusted shut, or has it been moved recently? All those tiny details are a part of the story of the boats past, you want a good story, not a neglected one.

Good luck. Take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously :D :D

ttaylo5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Absolute best advice I'm capable of giving......Leave your emotions in the truck.

You're going to look at your first boat, it's going to be shiny and nice and look amazing, and you've spent days thinking about fun times on the lake with the family and lounging in the water with the stereo on, or catching air off the wake, or any other number of things. DO NOT fall in love with your new boat until you sign the papers. Be prepared to walk away if it isn't the right boat, has issues that make the deal less than ideal, or you just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about how it's been cared for.

Check everything you can think of. Looks at every square inch you can get your eyes on. Open compartments, turn levers and knobs, check under the carpet, check inside the storage areas, look at the trailer, look at the tires/hubs/fenders/lights/coupler. If it "looks" well maintained, it probably is. You can see the true maintenance by look past the obvious things, and looking at the details. Are the pivots well lubricated, or have they just been pressure washed? Is the brake bleed screw rusted shut, or has it been moved recently? All those tiny details are a part of the story of the boats past, you want a good story, not a neglected one.

Good luck. Take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously :D :D
Thanks for the response, Kwik. I assume when you are talking about the brake bleed screw, you are talking about the trailer. How often are you supposed to bleed the brakes on a trailer? I wasn't even aware of this. Sounds like I have a lot to learn about required maintenance. I sense owning a boat may become way more overwhelming than I anticipated because I don't know how much I don't know.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like everyone has mentioned, got eyes on everything. Typically people who do care for boat and they are well maintained do take the time to maintain the "hard things" like the brake bleed screw. Look at joints and hinges, what kind of shape are they in. Look at any clamps on hoses low inside the engine bay. Check the steering is smooth, same with the throttles to make sure nothing gets hung up or is difficult to move or stiff. Checking oil after it is warm is always a good idea as others have mentioned above.

Check everything that has a latch, knob, opening, button, light etc and verify it comes on and works. Nav lights, blower fan, radio, bilge pump, etc.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely check oil before and after. If they changed it it will be clean at first. Once running it it turns milky theres a problem.

Ask for compression and look at numbers. Should be 180 across all 4 with 10% b/w cyla is okay

Also, post pictures

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’d recommend taking a level-headed friend with you. Someone not emotionally invested in the purchase. Good luck!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response, Kwik. I assume when you are talking about the brake bleed screw, you are talking about the trailer. How often are you supposed to bleed the brakes on a trailer? I wasn't even aware of this. Sounds like I have a lot to learn about required maintenance. I sense owning a boat may become way more overwhelming than I anticipated because I don't know how much I don't know.
Don't worry about the maintenance. We have a ton of resources here to help, and a great community. Just know to ask lots of questions.

I would bleed the brakes once a year or so on the extreme end of the scale and once every 3-4years on the lighter side. Depends on how much you tow.