• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a 2010 AR240

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hi evreyone,

I am buying this Boat next wednesday if my monday dealer inspection and sea test is Ok.

Few questions

#1. How many hours did you see the most with those 1.8 H.O. engine ?

#2. What is the total weight with trailer ?

#3. I have to pick it up 6h drive away, should i Rent a F150 for 300$ or pull it with my 2013 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 (towing capacity 5000lbs) ?

#4. How many liters of fuel do you burn on a typical day (Beach, cruising, tubing) ?

Thank’s in advance !

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My sx230 was about 5500 pounds give or take, so I would expect an ar240 to be closer to 6000. You're renting a truck, no way around it.

I can't comment on hours, but a lot of these 4 stroke yamaha engines will run into the thousands of hours on rental skis. Anecdotally the 1050cc engines are more reliable than the 1800s, but there may be really no difference.

I've been out cruising around every weekend and several weekdays for the past month and have burned 20-26 gallons. This is on the smaller mr1 ho engines, which again are supposedly a bit more efficient, so you might burn 30 gallons in that amount of time with use similar to mine.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That’s fuel (30 gal) for a day ?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No probably like 4 to 6 gallons a day.

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used my 2015 Highlander to pull my 2016 AR240 until I bought my 2018 F150 w/ 2.7 Ecoboost. Lots of numbers, lol.
Will it do it, yes. Is it ideal, no. I live in Indiana were it is very flat. If you do pull with the Toyota, make sure your trailer brakes work well.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s fuel (30 gal) for a day ?
I run through about 20 gal in a day. But that includes a lot of fairly high rpm activities. Tubing and other various tow sports. Unless we’re with other boats, any swim stops only last an hour or two... so we’re usually in motion.

My gas usage has been comparable to my former I/O. Uses a little more, but I don’t feel like it’s a lot more.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I have the same year/model with the HO motors. Dry weight per the owners manual says 3369lb so add in a dual axle trailer and you are at 5500lb minimum with an empty gas tank. So yes you need a full size truck for that distance.

I do a ton of tube pulling so I suck through a lot of gas. 20-25 gallons if I have a full crew and do water sports. Much less if it’s just my fam and we’re hanging out at the sandbar—it’s all about your boating preferences.

I have about 230 hours on my engines with NO sign of slowing down. I can still top out at 52mph (GPS) on a calm day. Make sure you check your oil cooler bolts, they are known to break off on this model year. https://jetboaters.net/threads/another-oil-cooler-bolt-sheared.1282/

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thx for all replies !!

I’m canadian, so a gallon is 3,78 liters???

Anyone can confirm that ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi evreyone,

I am buying this Boat next wednesday if my monday dealer inspection and sea test is Ok.

Few questions

#1. How many hours did you see the most with those 1.8 H.O. engine ?

#2. What is the total weight with trailer ?

#3. I have to pick it up 6h drive away, should i Rent a F150 for 300$ or pull it with my 2013 Toyota Highlander AWD V6 (towing capacity 5000lbs) ?

#4. How many liters of fuel do you burn on a typical day (Beach, cruising, tubing) ?

Thank’s in advance !
Congrats - these are about the most versatile, reliable, and simple to maintain boats in that size in existence.
Good advice on oil cooler bolts, those need to be taken care of. Check @Amar Nanduri posts on that - there is a quirky issue with the cooler o-rings that he posted good info about.

1. most all rental companies use Yamaha, plenty of rental skis with 2,000+ hours; with regular maintenance, these boats are generally mechanically (almost) bulletproof

2. and 3. 5,500lbs+
I would not tow with Highlander unless very short distance and no other choice. You will not be safe and the highlander will not thank you, transmission, suspension, and breaks being just some of the limiting factors.

4. As a general rule, you can plan on burning approx. 10-12 gph doing most activities/cruising.

--

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@swatski is correct. I have faced the oil cooler bolt issue and replaced the bolts. I have written up a detailed post with pictures on the issues I faced and how togo about replacing the bolts.
I loved this boat and would not hesitate to buy this model again. I took this boat to Bimini and back in 2017 without any major issues.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’ll ask the dealer to look into those Oil cooler

Thank’s All for the replies very helpfull

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
All I can comment about is towing with the Highlander. I currently tow a SX192 with it. I traded down from a Ram 1500 to prevent myself from upgrading to an AR240 for three more years. There is absolutely no way I could imagine towing anything bigger with the Highlander. It gets the job done but struggles. Yes the Highlander is rated at 5K but my rear suspension also sags to the point of needing airbags. No way brakes will hold up for you. With the 8 speed tranny I run 3500-4000rpm to maintain 70mph.