• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a 2018 Scarab

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am buying a new 2018 Scarab 215! Does anyone have any insight on the engine options? Are the twin 250 really useful or more just a waste of money over the twin 200?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am buying a new 2018 Scarab 215! Does anyone have any insight on the engine options? Are the twin 250 really useful or more just a waste of money over the twin 200?
I put about 20 hours on a 215 - 300HP and then I had my 215HO with 400 HP in which I put about 125 hours.

imho: If you will be using the boat in flat water and like to run WOT all the time then MAYBE you can use the extra horsepower and get a few more MPHs. In reality the hull will not allow you to run anywhere close to WOT in any wave action or choppy water (too harsh). The 300 HP normally aspirated version has plenty of pull and acceleration and you don't have intercoolers or superchargers (better value/better reliability/*less maintenance). If I was buying a 215 again I would go normally aspirated. *At minimum the superchargers have scheduled overhaul at 200 hours.

I like to go fast too (fellow 1199 rider) but in my engine history on my 215HO I put less than 10% of the 125 hours over 6500 RPMs (my conditions were rarely those were I could go that fast with that hull without fusing my spine) and I could have done better on the normally aspirated version... Go test drive both and decide, but WOT speed and HP alone are a poor indicator for me in this boat. The 255 is another story, heavier boat, better hull design and balance, 500 HP is ok.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rick215HO arent you busy with a write up or something ?

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You better look up carbon seal and scarab boats before you drop serious coin man.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the 255 with the twin 200's. I'm glad I saved the $5k and went for the 200's over the 250's. I think in reality the 200's are actually 208hp and the 250's are actually 242hp. I agree with the post above, figure out how often you will be going WOT and how choppy your lake is.

I don't want to get into a Yamaha vs Scarab debate, but if you look around this great site you will see for yourself that both manufacturers have their issues. Par for the course in the powersports industry.

Last edited:

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 215 with twin 250 HPs and I love the acceleration they provide. I would not be happy with the 200s after experiencing what I have with my 250's. It's definitely a personal choice but consider resale also, you will have more potential buyers with 500HP.

I also drive a 600+ HP 997 Turbo S and many others here would be happy with the acceleration of a Mustang.

It's a personal choice.

Walt

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
*At minimum the superchargers have scheduled overhaul at 200 hours.
I think, this is a old information, as this thread is telling since mid 2016 they should be maintainencefree.
New maintenance free supercharger

Can anyone confirm this?

PS: I'm very happy with twin 250's in my 215. Like Walt says, it's a personal choice and i love the acceleration and speed :winkingthumbsup"