• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a Newer AR What Do I Look For

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I currently have a 2005 AR 230. It's been great, but I found a local 2013 AR242 Limited S for sale with 60 hours and I'd appreciate advice on what to look for when I check it out. My 2005 has the non-HO engines so I'm expecting better performance. Basically what goes wrong with the later models and is there a significant improvement in performance. I've received a lot help on this site with the 2005 AR. I trust your input.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Only issue that has come up with that boat (to my knowledge) was the timing chain possibly failing on 1.8's from years 2010-earlier2015 but it sounds like it's rare honestly, compared to how many have been just fine.
You can search the timing chain issue on here to get more info. The AR boats with the folding tower had a bolt/pin fix on the later models, but the LS is a different style tower and should be fine.
The power is more, but the weight it too, so figure you're not going to all the sudden be going 65 mph! Huge difference to the non-HO motors though!

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The input is appreciated. I went ahead today and bought a 2013 242 Limited S with 93 hours, private sale ($37k). It's been baking in the Arizona Sun for 5 years, so as soon as I get it polished (black hull with oxidation issues) I'll be changing my avatar. Just towing it 30 miles today I can tell it's heavier than my 2005. Black is a bad Arizona color, but they look nice when they are clean.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The input is appreciated. I went ahead today and bought a 2013 242 Limited S with 93 hours, private sale ($37k). It's been baking in the Arizona Sun for 5 years, so as soon as I get it polished (black hull with oxidation issues) I'll be changing my avatar. Just towing it 30 miles today I can tell it's heavier than my 2005. Black is a bad Arizona color, but they look nice when they are clean.
Congrats!

I think the lack of input actually speaks volumes! It's kind of hard to name any persistent issues, @Speedling listed one with TC braking which is very rare in N/A 1.8s. There used to be an oil cooler bolt issue - but that was before your MY, and has been fixed in 2013s.

The one thing to watch - anchor compartment has exposed front wall and is not very well designed, so if/when the anchor gets loose in rough water it can literally pound a whole in the bow/hull. Solution: either pad the compartment like crazy or move the anchor away.

Keep us posted!

--