• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a trailer too small?

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Heyyy dudes

been on the hunt for a galvanized trailer for my 190 but im starting to come to terms with the very good possibility I won't be able to find one

Ive contacted countless boat dealers in my area and ONE has a couple galvanized ez-loaders on the lot. Problem is, they're small.

from what I gather, they fit boats 14-18ft and up to 2300lbs, with an overall width of 90" which is narrower than the boat! I understand the stock shorelandr is 104" wide. this is a big difference.

I have verified the bunks are adjustable, so I CAN raise them to allow the 190's chine to clear the wheel wells, but im wondering if I should even do this.

boat will be parked in kaneohe, HI and will be mostly used in kaneohe bay which is less than a mile away, with occasional use in hawaii kai which is a 30-45min drive.

option 2 is to just send it with my painted trailer and possibly treating it later, as Oahu has sandblasting and hot-dip galvanizing facilities. but I can only imagine what a pain in the ass that would be.

what do you guys think?

117688850_10216270366343451_393681784036238692_o.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Assuming money isn't an issue here. Go with Option #3 and find a custom aluminum trailer and ship it with that.

Getting a trailer too narrow, and raising the boat is asking for trouble IMO. I would avoid that.

Next best is to ship with the painted trailer and kick the can down the road a bit. Only concern is EVERYTHING is more expensive on an island, and replacing the trailer there is going to be harder or more expensive than it is here on the mainland.

What's your timing and budget look like?

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
was trying to get it shipped by October. im not rich, so money is definitely a factor. this is a 2012 190 with 140 hours that I got for 18500.

what do you think my painted trailer is worth?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
was trying to get it shipped by October. im not rich, so money is definitely a factor. this is a 2012 190 with 140 hours that I got for 18500.

what do you think my painted trailer is worth?
I have no idea what it's worth to be honest. I've seen guys get new aluminum trailers for $3-4k for the 24ft boats. I would think you should be able to work out a trade at some level with a custom manufacturer for a tradein on an aluminum unit.

@Betik has a custom Aluminum Trailer. Maybe he can help?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Weird that a painted trailer would even be on any island in HI. I would go aluminum for sure - the resale value on that will be better too.

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Weird that a painted trailer would even be on any island in HI. I would go aluminum for sure - the resale value on that will be better too.
Its not on Hawaii yet. I’m still in California

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would aim for $1k to $1.5K on the existing trailer.
a new aluminum defiantly on the 3 to 4 range. Mine was $3.25K so for your 190 I expect you can get one for $3k. @JBehrens has a 190 and he got a kick ass trailer for it. I am sure you can find the I fly cousin of his trailer for $3k.
At the end of the day it all depends what you put on it. My trailer now has costed me $6k with electric/hydrolic brakes and the other bells and whistles. Truth to be told we like it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you should try and get your current trailer galvanized here in CA, chances are the labor will be less expensive than HI. Buying anything in HI is gong to more expensive.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It sucks because you don't have many options and you don't have the luxury of being patient. I would get a custom trailer and it will be better than any OEM trailer you'll find. I wouldn't ship that painted trailer to Hawaii under any circumstance because you'll pay shipping and then it will depreciate to $0 soon as it comes off the ship. Better to sell it here.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would aim for $1k to $1.5K on the existing trailer.
a new aluminum defiantly on the 3 to 4 range. Mine was $3.25K so for your 190 I expect you can get one for $3k. @JBehrens has a 190 and he got a kick ass trailer for it. I am sure you can find the I fly cousin of his trailer for $3k.
At the end of the day it all depends what you put on it. My trailer now has costed me $6k with electric/hydrolic brakes and the other bells and whistles. Truth to be told we like it.
For what you are looking to do an aluminum trailer is going to be the way, no question. Mine is in the salt all the time and I never have to worry about it. Yes it will cost you a little more, I paid ~3k for mine but it has a lifetime warranty and is built like an absolute tank (It also only took them a week to build after I gave the go ahead). Any decent aluminum trailer should also tow better than the stock galvanized trailers.

Kokopelli Trailers built in Phoenix Arizona: Kokopelli Trailers – Custom Boat Trailers

Here is more info about the trailer:
Mod 2: Aluminum Trailer
The painted trailer was a major downside and would have been toast after one trip in the saltwater. Did some research and talked with @AZ Native who recommended Kokopelli Trailers out of Phoenix, Arizona. After a few calls and quotes, they built a custom all aluminum trailer for the 190. This thing rocks, Uriah and his team really know how to build trailers and set out with a high level of craftsmanship that is backed by a lifetime warranty. I didn’t know how much of a difference the trailer would make but it really is a huge difference. Makes use in the saltwater/long river trips easy.

Kokopelli Trailers – Custom Boat Trailers

Did a single day turnaround trip to Phoenix to pickup the trailer. Made the transfer at Lake Perris a few weeks later.
IMG_8399.jpeg
IMG_8728.jpeg

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Kokopelli Trailers built in Phoenix Arizona: Kokopelli Trailers – Custom Boat Trailers

Here is more info about the trailer:
looks like this is the route to go! Another dealer recommended this place as well. I called yesterday and didn’t get an answer, and was honestly hesitant about having one built because others quoted 9 weeks. 1 week is perfect! Crossing my fingers.

Thanks dudes!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looks like this is the route to go! Another dealer recommended this place as well. I called yesterday and didn’t get an answer, and was honestly hesitant about having one built because others quoted 9 weeks. 1 week is perfect! Crossing my fingers.

Thanks dudes!
Good luck with the trailer.

Also......are you actually a pro wake skater? If so there aren't many of you out there. There aren't many people that even know what a skate is, I seem to be constantly educating people on what it is and how to ride it.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Another vote for getting an aluminum before you go and ditching the painted one now.

I wouldn’t dip the painted trailer in saltwater but a few times. It will not last long enough to have it sandblasted and galvanized once in Hawaii if you try to use it for a little while there.

prowakeskater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good luck with the trailer.

Also......are you actually a pro wake skater? If so there aren't many of you out there. There aren't many people that even know what a skate is, I seem to be constantly educating people on what it is and how to ride it.
lol, no pro here. im more of a wakeboarder anyhow.

bad news on the trailer. everyone seems to be backed up, including Kokopelli. Im still waiting on a quote

that small trailer is looking more and more attractive

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Know the width of your boat trailer to learn your travel considerations for your boat trailer and avoid risks. Some boaters plan ahead to avoid disasters, others go for impromptu travel schedules.