• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Calling SW Florida owners

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I said I would not get a boat for my place in Naples but Im starting to consider a recent 242. There is a rack marina near by so it could be stored inside and out of the water. Im a bit spoiled and part of that is laziness as I only run my current boat in fresh water. It stays on the trailer and goes in for 2 days at a time. That situation requires very little upkeep but its easy to do while on the trailer.
I worry about the salt destroying my "south" boat as it would be in a rack and not so easy for me to work on. Also do you run into "sea weed" much in the gulf that could cause havoc with our jet drives?
Getting the marina to flush it properly after I use it is also a concern. How do I get the batteries charged while in the rack?
I need to get to the marina and ask them some questions but wanted to hear from my fellow SW Florida owners as well.
Tell me all the things you deal with.

I’m a northern Gulf guy, not sure how bad the seaweed get down south but usually in late July/Aug the weeds start. It’s not to bad, I’ve only had to stop once to clean them out. Usually I make it to my destination and then clean them out. Mine stays on the trailer but the upkeep isn’t to bad. Just requires a good rinse after the water. My ramp has a wash rack you drive through and sprays everything down. I get home and do another rinse, then a coating of salt away and rinse that off. Then I flush each motor, 1 minute of salt away and a couple minutes of fresh water. Your marina should be somewhat familiar, as any salt water boat needs to be flushed after use. (I would think, not 100% sure) I would ask your marina what they do when they put the boat away.

Only other things I do you can do on the water for the most part. Spray the seats with vinyl guard once a month, Yamaha Lube on the clean out ports etc

I'm sure they will want you to be their for the flush...........most yard boys will not be familiar with Yamaha flushing/ running engine before water turns on and off before engine stops. Now if the marina and rack guy is good they might do it at a reasonable cost.

As for weeds been boating in FL salt for 8 month in bays and canals have not sucked up anything yet(75 hours) knock on wood. Not a problem yet but I sure my day is coming.

Most racks don't have plugins for batt chargers..........insurance/ fire thing. I would always bring a portable starter pack with you. Like mention above seat protectant spray and if gone for long periods of time rack it with the cover on.

Hope this helps a little

I have had boat at marina years ago and there is no special care unless you are there.
They will not take time or effort with the small stuff and it's expensive. Trust my bigger issue.

Some marinas charge a minimum length vs per foot now which sucks for me with 19'

How far from ramp is house. Does home not have space for secure parking? I know it is a big boat, is trailing out of question for their storage(connivence).

I go often and launch at Goodland in Marco Island. Turn North around Dome Houses to Hurricane Pass. Its a 30min ride.

I'll watch boat and house for ya if you need a caretaker. :winkingthumbsup"

Im in Lely, No place for a boat there and no tow vehicle so the rack is the best option given my home and vehicle situation.

Im in Lely, No place for a boat there and no tow vehicle so the rack is the best option given my home and vehicle situation.

Yeah, kinda stuck like chuck there.
Call around and talk to each one in your area. See what amenities each one offers and or place in indoor rack highest one up. Keep people from looking inside on bottom.

Maybe when I get down there you could show me around the water? I was considering the one on Capri next to Island Gypsy as its just south of me. Only problem is I dont start getting down there till late October

Maybe when I get down there you could show me around the water? I was considering the one on Capri next to Island Gypsy as its just south of me. Only problem is I dont start getting down there till late October

Still a lot of boating time left as water usually holds temperature late in season
The domes will be south of you and hand out spot Hurricane pass is north of you as you exit to ocean

West coast is the only place where you can beach boat and walk miles of empty beach looking for shells.

its a ride but you can go as far North to Ft Myers and cut across to Sanibel/Captiva

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.39.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.39.58 AM.png
    899.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.42.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.42.01 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
@Evil Sports. I would certainly call around and see how each marina works.
  1. Availability & Pricing
  2. Contract (some are month to month, others require an annual contract)
  3. What services they include in their pricing model
  4. Do they fuel the boat, or do you?
  5. How much notice do you need to give to get your boat in the water or on a rack
For example, this season, I started keeping my boat at a small marina on the ICW by Ponce Inlet (east coast). Their process is as follows…

I can call ahead, and generally the boat will be in the water within 15 mins, or on a rack. They will not pump fuel, but will tie your boat up at the fuel dock and lend a hand, and bill your account. Upon return, if you arrive by 4ish, they will pull your boat out of the water and put it on a wash rack. There I flush my engines, and clean the exterior. I have a cheap generic cover I put on it, to help keep oil/dirt out while its in the stack house (I’m on the 2nd tier, and they stack ‘em 3 high). They also request that I lower my Bimini (not required if one the 3rd rack). I can also have the boat left on the rack overnight and hook up my charger if I like. If I arrive after 4:30ish, the boat will most likely sit in the water overnight, and they will pull it in the AM, and rinse down the exterior before putting it away (I have NEVER done this).

My parents keep their boat (I/O) up in Hernando Beach (North of Tampa). Their Mariana operates as follows….

On busy weekends, you need to have your boat scheduled to be in the water. If you don’t show within 15-20 mins, they pull it. Mid week, I think they just require a hours notice. They will gas the boat up for you and bill your account. Upon return, while the boat is in the water, you have access to hoses, and can rinse/scrub the interior of your boat if you chose. Upon removal of the boat, while on the forklift, the crew will flush the engine, scrub the exterior of the boat, and rinse, then put her away. There is at least one AR 240 at the marina, and and older SeaDoo, I’m not sure how/what they do for flushing those.

I have also noticed that throwing the crew some beer money generally results in a more attentive staff.

I have taken my SX210 out on the West Coast Gulf/TB/ICW four times. One time, the sea grass was prominent, and I also sucked up some form of large twig. The sea grass would get caught in my impeller/twig (which I was unaware of until I was back on land), and at one point caused enough cavitation that over temp alarm went off. [I was unaware of the back-up trick at that time] On my other outings, no issues.

As for protecting the boat - I would suggested treating/spraying down all the hose clamps (don’t forget under the clean out ports) and engines with a corrosion inhibitor. Consider AGM battery(ies), as from what I’ve seen posted here, they seem to charge quicker while underway, and superior longevity to flooded cells, and keep some damp-rid containers onboard for helping with moisture in storage compartments.

Back