• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cam fault/sensor position fault or is it this thingamajig?

_____

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
2009 212x, has a cam position sensor fault, cleaned/swapped the sensor with the other engine. Fault didn't move with the sensor to the other engine. I noticed this 'thing' on the port engine, the sensor harness is clipped into it which is clipped to the boat harness. Any idea what it is for, or called and if it's actually supposed to be there? Don't see one on the starboard engine.

Attachments

• 0407211907_HDR.jpg
    0407211907_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So, checked the manual, I believe it's the noise filter for the cam position sensor. Will have to shoot the wires and see how they read. May just replace it regardless. Any idea if there's one on both engines??

Last edited:
1617895285776.png

Strange,
I checked my manual and found this about the noise filter but nothing in the schematic about where it is located,

I would guess there should be one on both engines, maybe get a picture a little further back so we can get an idea where your's is and another member can check their MR1

I looked at the other engine, and didn't see one, but I didn't look too hard, honestly. This connects (in line) with the cam position sensor. The CPS is under the airbox, towards rear of engine. (Jet ski image for reference) The CPS cable crosses over the engine to port side and clips into the noise filter cable then the noise filter connects into the boat harness. Not sure if there's one on the other engine, you'd assume right?InkedIMG_0779_LI.jpg

This is from 2007 SX230HO Service Manual #4. I think each engine has one.

Attachments

• Noise Filter.PNG
    Noise Filter.PNG
    205.8 KB · Views: 20
Still have code 24 on the port motor. Ugh

Had it two shops, they tell me it's good then put it in the water and 24 come up immediately. The last shop added a bunch of grounds to the wiring harness.

Now it won't rev over about 7200 rpms. Really getting extremely frustrated with this.

Could use some help.

If the timing chain is off would the motor run well? It seems to be running strong otherwise.

Also, the first shop replaced the ECM.

Can anybody confirm the part number for the wiring harness for a 2009 212x is:

6B5-8259L-13-00

Think this is my only option

Talked to the shop again.
Suggested swapping the sensor again with the other motor, and if that doesn't work.... He said he's seen it where a wrong gasket has been used and if it's too thick, can affect the sensors ability to read the position. Makes sense I guess.

As the motor was rebuilt, wouldn't surprise me.

Oi. Rebuilt... was it throwing the 24 only since rebuild? Did you have it rebuilt or was it a prior owner?

The ECM replacement is pretty significant. Not a cheap little swap, there.

I would think if the timing chain were off you would hear it in the motor... Running rough, etc. But maybe if it is off by only one link it might not be bad? But I suspect it would be noticable. And adding grounds to the wiring harness would not change it. If adding the grounds affected something, I think you are back to an electrical problem, likely.

Here is a theory: both cam sensors are bad (say, low output), but the noise filter on the port side is making it so that no signal gets through at all. Can you directly connect without the noise filter and see if it works? Otherwise, it may take buying a new sensor to test that theory... That all said, this theory is pretty unlikely IMHO. But it is all I can think of right now...

Yeah, ran it without noise filter too. If both were bad, I'd get 24 on both motors

Agree. Problem is then I don't have a helpful idea...

Back