• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can anyone recommend a good shop?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s looking like I’ll be replacing my engine soon and am looking for a good shop to deal with that’s not going to gouge me.

The Yamaha dealer is looking to get $1k just to tear down the engine, and I don’t even want to think what they’ll charge for a new one...

I’m probably going to buy a long block from SBT and need someone to put everything in/together.

I’m in Indiana, but will be willing to drive to parts of Kentucky, maybe even Ohio and Illinois.

Let me know if you have somebody you’d recommend.

Depends on where you are in IN, but I bought my boat From Spend A Day in Russels Point OH. They have been there for 50+ years. They sell and service a LOT of boats, they are a Yamaha dealer and have been forever. Great service team. I used them a few times and know 50 people who use them and recommend.

@AboveTheBest
Can you help us understand why your boat needs an engine?

I would contact Jerry Gaddis of Greenhulk, too. I am pretty sure he sells long blocks 1.8 and would be most competitive on pricing and service.

That said, this sounds crazy! If it is not the Timing Chain... what could it be...?

--

Still trying to figure that out now, the problem is that I need to find someone capable of finding the problem without charging me $1k to tear the engine down (which is what my dealer is asking).

If I need to buy a $3.5k long block and another $1k’ish to put it in, I’m not thrilled with the idea of paying that much to tear the old one down to the crank.

Insurance is involved, but I don’t have much hope for them picking up the tab.

This is way beyond my abilities, in general, but something I would consider is to pull the valve cover. That would give me some insights onto what maybe going on, certainly if it is a TC, no? The cover goes back on with like 8 bolts, it would need a new gasket though.

--

I agree I would at a minimum pull the valve cover and inspect the timing chain. It really sucks you've had a string of bad luck with your boat. Hopefully you can get it sorted and maybe take it back out before the season is up. Have you done a compression test? I know you said the dealer told you compression was down but what were the numbers? I would run down to the auto parts store and pickup a compression gauge set. They're like $15-3o. I wouldn't rely on what that dealer told you since it sounds like they want to gouge your wallet. You can at least narrow down if you have internal damage by seeing if you've actually dropped a cylinder. It would read 0 compression.

For those who don't venture into the 19' forum here is @AboveTheBest thread of his unfortunate luck this season Huge Power Loss. Any help y'all could provide I'm sure he would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
They told me the numbers for the compression test but I didn’t write them down.
One cylinder was at 170, and the other three were around 130/110.

I’m going to talk to the insurance guys again and hopefully I can at least get them to pay for the diagnostics/tear down. Otherwise I’ll probably pull the valve cover myself and see what I can see.

They suggested trying to put a scope in the engine and try to inspect the cylinders that way, so that’s another option too.

I found a guy on Greenhulk that has a shop in indiana. He has 19 skis ahead of me, but eventually he’ll get me in. I told him I just need it ready to sell in the Spring.

After looking around at the Greenhulk store and noticing a Riva part called the “Yamaha crankcase repair thrust plate” I wondered if maybe the shaft got shoved forward and damaged the internals at the crank.
I talked to the mechanic (Mike) and as soon as I mentioned it he knew exactly what I was talking about.

I’m sure he’ll diagnose it more when he tears into it but it seems like there are two possible outcomes: 1. New SBT longblock, or 2. The engine gets sent to Greenhulk (not actually Jerry but his repair guy Chris) to see what can be salvaged.

I’m hoping to come out of the whole thing for under $5k, but only time will tell.

I’m duplicating this post on my thread on the AR190 board, and will continue to update that with whatever happens.

I found a guy on Greenhulk that has a shop in indiana. He has 19 skis ahead of me, but eventually he’ll get me in. I told him I just need it ready to sell in the Spring.

After looking around at the Greenhulk store and noticing a Riva part called the “Yamaha crankcase repair thrust plate” I wondered if maybe the shaft got shoved forward and damaged the internals at the crank.
I talked to the mechanic (Mike) and as soon as I mentioned it he knew exactly what I was talking about.

I’m sure he’ll diagnose it more when he tears into it but it seems like there are two possible outcomes: 1. New SBT longblock, or 2. The engine gets sent to Greenhulk (not actually Jerry but his repair guy Chris) to see what can be salvaged.

I’m hoping to come out of the whole thing for under $5k, but only time will tell.

I’m duplicating this post on my thread on the AR190 board, and will continue to update that with whatever happens.
This is crazy! I am very curious what you will find out.
Sorry this is happening to you!!!

--

Back