• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Can I pick your brain.....

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As I have mentioned on the forums, I am very new to the boating scene, especially the jet boats. But from what I have read, and in talking with a local dealership, I like what I have heard about them. Unfortunately if I talk to others that don't have a jet boat, I feel like I am having to defend them. Maybe once an outboard owner always an outboard owner? I was hoping, if you don't mind, that I pick your brain a bit, as I try to learn more and more about these boats.

We currently have two smaller kids (8 & 6). I think for the most part we would be tubing, learning to water ski, maybe some fishing, and in general cruising around. Some of my family members and neighbors have pushed the idea of a pontoon/tri-toon, but the kids and I like the idea of a speed boat. Maybe with some feedback it will help with our decision....

I know the saying is to buy your second boat first. Buy the best boat you can with the funds that are available. So I am looking at sizes ranging from 19' to 24' (max allowed on our lake for speedboats). Its a bit of a range, and honestly I think I like the idea of a 21', but I could be persuaded.

For those that have 19' boats...
- Do you feel as though the 19' with the single engine is sufficient? Though I guess that sort of depends on what you are using your boat for.
- Not knowing how many are in your family or your needs, what made you get the 19'?
- Have you had any regrets or limitations in the 19'?
- Cost to run it/ maintain it cheaper than a boat that is 21' or 24'? Or is it marginally different.

My concerns (whether true or not)...
- Limitation on the amount of people on the boat. Honestly don't see more than 8 at once. 8 out of 10 times it will just be our family of 4, but there will be times with 6. I think the idea of a pontoon is that you have more space. But I don't see people getting up and moving around a lot while out cruising. Conversing while cruising might be easier if you are close, as I have struggled at times to hear people on a pontoon boat and we are out cruising.
- Engine - is two better than one? The single engine is supercharged correct? Is that going to require more maintenance than say two engines? I like the idea of being able to "limp" back on one engine if need be.
- Is there enough get up and go with the 19? I know that is personal as some are more speed/thrill freaks than others.
- For those that have never driven a boat or docked a boat, is the smaller boat easier to maneuver? When we have rented pontoons, I am always the driver. I don't want my wife to feel as though she can't drive the boat if I am not around, or if I want to go skiing, she will be comfortable driving.
- If we were to go with a smaller boat, will we outgrow it too quickly? I would rather try to get a bigger boat that we keep longer, than a smaller boat which will require us to upgrade later, as the kids get older and want to do more. I know the saying is to get your second boat first, but budget comes into play on that.
- Depreciation - I know that right now, boats don't appear to be depreciating too much, and in some cases it seems like they are appreciating in value. I have read that a 15 year loan is not uncommon for these boats. Does that mean that the boats in general hold their value (in non-covid years) so that you aren't underwater as soon as you pull out of the dealership?
- Other reasons to get a jet boat over a pontoon boat, or even a boat with an inboard/outboard motor?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

I can give you my perspective of a guy coming from owning multiple open bow, cuddy and cabin cruisers. I'm recently coming from a single engine 28ft Cabin Cruiser this year.

1. First of all, I really love this boat and I get tons of compliments even from people with 40+ foot boats. It is tons of fun.
  2. I chose the 24ft because I wanted the extra room even though I never have more than 6 people in the boat. I know I can fit more if I want.
  3. I did want the twin engines as they are much easier to maneuver the boat when you learn how to use them properly.
  4. You can do anything in forward (and probably more) than any boat I have ever owned
  5. Reverse takes some getting used to. It drifts way to much for my liking, but I am used to it after about 5-6 trips out and can dock it in my wet slip with zero problems. I still will probably get lateral thrusters because I would like to have more control in currents and windy conditions.
  6. for your question is a smaller boat easier to maneuver and I would say no. Maybe marginally but practice and getting used to the way the boat handles is the most important factor.
  7. these boats have their idiosyncrasies, but the maintenance is much easier then anything I have ever owned.
  8. I'm not sure the speed ratings on a 19ft, but the 21 and 24ft boats have no problem with speed. I hit 50 with 4 people on board.
  9. As I just purchased this year, I was trying to get a 21ft brand new, but knowing that I wouldn't be able to get one until 2022, I went with a boat a few years older that was larger. I don't regret my decision. In my opinion it's the perfect size to do what I want.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a 19 ft. boat, one of "those" and after careful consideration, chose it over an SX210. BTW there's another thread similar to this one - don't have it handy though.

1. Yes, I find the single non-supercharged 1.8L engine sufficient for my uses.
2. Both new, it cost $14K less than the SX210, it's easier to maneuver in/out of the sloped gravel driveway (for the boat), uses 1/2 the gas at low speeds, and I rarely have more than four in the boat. The latter point is perhaps most important.
3. No regrets, after a few aftermarket refinements/additions and getting used to driving it.
4. I do a lot of low-speed putting around, between stints at cruise speed. The SX190 uses 0.8-1.0 gph and the SX210 would use 2.0 at low speed. At cruise there's less difference. Engine maintenance is 2x the cost on a twin as well. There's very good TowBoatUS coverage where I live and boat, and I'm relatively unconcerned about being stranded "with only one engine."

Don't get me wrong - I like the larger twins, and just can't justify the one-time nor ongoing costs. That's now/foreseeable future. Things could change. I'm certainly in no hurry for the next few years anyway, given the terrible supply chain problems and backed-up orders (now into 2023 for 19 footers I hear).

Your concerns:

1. Most I've had it in so far are four adults. It's comfortable and very spacious for that many. Max I'd go boating with in this one is six adults. If I boated with > four regularly, I would have bought larger, or be looking for one about now. :) One thing to keep in mind is the more in the bow, the slower it goes. It also can get pretty uncomfortable in the bow during heavy chop, though ironically having more people up there makes it more smooth. NB: the "planing plate" that comes with the Cobra Jet fins helps the most with chop on this boat.
2. The 19 ft. Yamahas come in both normally aspirated, like mine, and supercharged. I didn't feel the required premium gas, maybe 7-9 mph higher top speed, many thousand $ higher price and higher long-term maintenance costs (for the supercharger) were worth it.
3. It leaps out of the water very nicely. I just did the "ribbon delete" mod and haven't yet tested it wide open. Usual max speed before it was around 36-39 mph. This is very subjective - how much power you need. Where I usually boat the speed limit is 25 or 30, and the boat has plenty of oomph so far to get around anything I've needed to.
4. It's more sluggish/slippy feeling to maneuver vs. a prop boat. You get used to it though. Add-on "fins" tremendously help and are a must-have.
5. If you anticipate expanding your uses/regularly having more people aboard, get the bigger boat now.
6. At least these Yamaha boats seem to hold their value very well, assuming you take good care of it.

Ah, jet vs. pontoon. Almost a month ago I rented a 24' pontoon on Lake Shelbyville (IL) and had eight aboard. It had only a 60 hp outboard and was pretty sluggish, topping out at 11 mph full load, or 18-19 mph when all but three of us were left on it. I saw one pontoon of no more than 26 ft. with a 350 hp outboard, and it was nicely scooting along. The jet is a lot more *fun* and fast, riding atop the water. Depends on your use. If all you do is load up the boat with people and go to a sandbar, a pontoon is a good match. I think of them as a "party barge."

Last edited:
@The Canuck We need to get you guys out on the water for a test drive. You'll know right away if the 19ft is for you or not. Wife is onboard for a weeknight date in the near future. If we could get @sunbyrned coordinated (and he's wiling, kinda putting him on the spot here, sorry buddy) we could get you a ride in a 19ft and a 24ft the same night.

I'll try to answer your questions below.

Some of my family members and neighbors have pushed the idea of a pontoon/tri-toon, but the kids and I like the idea of a speed boat
Some thoughts on this even though it isn't a question. Tri-Toons have a ton of space and do MOST things really well. We were looking at a 'toon at one point. We didn't get one because the wake shape is garbage for wakeboarding. They're expensive in larger sizes and motor HP range. They tow terribly (They're big sails). If I had a wet slip to leave the boat for extended periods, a toon is about all I would consider. They're reasonably hard to sink, and it's not a maintenance issue if left in the water for long times. Many toons will run in the 35+mph range when equipped with the right engine. Don't completely dismiss them because they don't look cool, they're FAR FAR more spacious than a bowrider, and are the right tool for the job in a LOT of applications.
I know the saying is to buy your second boat first.
I HATE this advice. I hate hate hate it. If you aren't a boat person, or otherwise don't know what you need or want, why buy any more than you have to to "test the waters" so to speak. You see people doing one of two things with a boat after the first season. They are upgrading to something bigger, or they're selling to do something else. Rarely do you see people buying a giant/expensive boat with zero experience, then keeping it for decades. Those people have either had a boat before, been around a boat before, or otherwise were able to really narrow in on what they wanted.

Neighbors across the street bought a boat a few years ago. Had it one season. NOPE; boating isn't' for them. Sold it the next season and put in a pool. They liked the water, but not the lake. Neighbors next door rode with one season 5-6 times, decided boating IS for them. Sold their camper, found a new campground near the lake, bought a new camper and a 24ft Tri-Toon. They're boaters now. They had enough experience to buy the right boat the first time after riding on ours, not liking the ride, then riding on a friends toon and liking it better.

Buy the boat that is at the right stage for your boating life, and try to hedge your bets so that when you move on to the next thing, you don't lose your butt on this one. Gently used from a rural seller in a buyers market is usually the way to do this. My first boat was a '98 Rinker 182 I bought in 2007. Boat was 9yrs old, but was stored inside. I had it 7 seasons and sold it for a few grand less than I paid for it. I suggest a starter boat with few options that is easy and cheap to purchase, own, and operate while you learn boating first, then upgrade!
- Do you feel as though the 19' with the single engine is sufficient?
Yes 100%. 85% of the time it's just the wife, 2 boys, the dog and myself. Tons of space and adequate power for cruising and watersports with that load. 10% of the time it's us + a friend of the boys or two. 3-4 trips a year we want the full 8 persons capacity. 4 adults and 4 kids is SNUG. 8 adults is down right cramped for space. Only a few times a year we're usually playing "shuttle bus" to party cove and just hanging out all day.
- Not knowing how many are in your family or your needs, what made you get the 19'?
We went to the dealership to purchase a 2016 242 Limited they had "leftover" from the year before. Brought home a brand new 2017 AR190. The ability to store it in our garage (and save on storage costs), as well as tow with a smaller vehicle sealed the deal for the 19ft for us. We were between the 195 and the 190. Got the 190 based on fuel usage, and the 195 in stock had a red tower we didn't like. I'm on the fence about that, but have no regrets about the length decision.
Sorta. Kinda wish I had gotten the 195 for the power/speed. Really only when I'm drag racing someone, or have 8 adults on board. So like 2-3 times a year. We're starting to want to entertain on the boat again, and the capacity limitations are in our face now. We have some friends with 3 kids, and we're one spot short now that we have two kids. A capacity of 10 would cover all but 1-2 trips a year. With that said, now that I've had my boat at my home for the last 5 seasons, I'm not sure I can go back to storing it somewhere else. I love being able to prep/tinker/modify/drink on the boat whenever I want. Can't fit a 24ft in the garage. If I raise the header I can fit a 21ft in there. We'll see.
- Cost to run it/ maintain it cheaper than a boat that is 21' or 24'? Or is it marginally different.
Marginal Difference. Oil changes and spark plugs are double for a twin engine boat. With that said, they're $85/engine for all the supplies. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the cost of owning a boat. I was on the gulf this spring and running 12 gph at WOT and 36mph. @Sean R reports getting the same 12gph in his 212S at the same 36-ish mph. He's not at WOT, and I am. Typically you'll see around that 10-12gph when running dual 1.8's at cruise. Boattest has a lot of data on this, I would consider what kind of range you need/want, and go from there.
- Engine - is two better than one? The single engine is supercharged correct?
The singles are either supercharged or not. 190's are NOT. 192's and 195's ARE. No maintenance difference between supercharged and non-supercharged. Two - vs- one.....Meh. On an inland lake in KY you don't really need that "get me home" security of a second engine. I'm going to jinx myself here and say I've never been towed in. I have towed a few in, but not many. Good maintenance on a reliable platform will curb a LOT of that concern. Yamaha engines are pretty bulletproof, and the driveline in these is remarkably simple compared to an I/O. Even then you can usually call a marina for a tow if you have to. A BoatUS membership is $125/yr and covers on the water tows. If you're in the Gulf, or other salt water. I get the security, however I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on that. Others might disagree, but that's where I sit.
- Is there enough get up and go with the 19?
I think there is plenty. We recently had a guy here that bought a 190, and HATED it. Of course he put twelve people on it and attempted to go wakeboarding, but that's another story. We need to get you a ride on mine and @sunbyrned boat so you can feel what kind of power there is in a single 1.8, and a dual 1.8 setup. Personally our little 190 is plenty for us. Had 5 adults and 3 under 10yr old kids on Saturday of last week. It planed slower than I would have liked, but it still planed, and then ran a respectable 36mph up the Ohio River. I'm not winning any speed contests that way, but it's certainly fast enough that it doesn't feel "slow" for the people on board.
- For those that have never driven a boat or docked a boat, is the smaller boat easier to maneuver?
Might not be a fair answer here. We had an I/O 18ft bowrider for 7 seasons before getting the Yamaha. The jet boat is different. It doesn't steer as fast or as intuitive as our I/O did. Once you learn it, you can spin it within it's own length, walk it sideways, and other moves that I wouldn't dream of in the I/O. The I/O was better than a pontoon, and the jet is better than the I/O. Buddies pontoon turns like a bus. It's terrible. Our Yamaha spins on a dime, sometimes even when you don't want it to. The smaller boat will inherently fit places you wouldn't attempt to fit a 24ft into. Typically there's enough space for either though, so it's not really a pro or a con, just kinda is what it is.
- If we were to go with a smaller boat, will we outgrow it too quickly?
Hard to say here. Really depends on where your boating life takes you. If you become very social with boating, and find another family that loves to go and you really click with. Yea, you might outgrow it quickly. If you end up just being single family boaters, or you find other families with their own boat, you might love the smaller boat for years. This is a super hard one to answer. We're coming up on the end of our 12th season owning a sub 20ft boat. We're just NOW looking to get something bigger. Honestly though, the 19ft Yamaha hits above it's weight class in interior space, so we went from a tiny '90's era layout to a modern wider layout in the AR190, and are just now looking to grow in length for more seating and more power.
- Depreciation
In general. Yamaha's depreciate VERY slowly compared to other boats. They are an excellent value, i.e. you get a lot for what you spend. I went 15yrs on mine, and pay a little more. With COVID market I'm not upside down. With a "normal" market, I might be close to break even on mine after 4.5yrs of payments on a 15yr note. I searched for used boats when we bought in 2017, however we couldn't find any that were any more than about $5k less expensive than used ones in the 3-5yr old window. Loan rates were better on new, so it made it an overall LESS expensive purchase, even with the longer term. I'll refer to my above statement for a first time boat buyer. Get something that is already a ways down the depreciation curve, and enjoy it for a few seasons without losing a ton of money to see if you like it. If you LOVE boating, upgrade to the latest/greatest boat in a few years. If you're just kind MEH on it, then keep what you have, or sell and move along.
- Other reasons to get a jet boat over a pontoon boat, or even a boat with an inboard/outboard motor?
I don't think I'll ever own another style of boat than a Yamaha, until I get into "live aboard" sized boats. Maintenance is a breeze. The driveline is dead simple, and easily worked on. The rear platform area is hard to beat. They're light to tow, but still durable enough to take on the ocean if you want to (Someone took an SX190 to Bimini a few years ago, these are tough boats). Again, they're a great value. You can really stretch your smiles per dollar a good way with a jetboat.

@The Canuck We need to get you guys out on the water for a test drive. You'll know right away if the 19ft is for you or not. Wife is onboard for a weeknight date in the near future. If we could get @sunbyrned coordinated (and he's wiling, kinda putting him on the spot here, sorry buddy) we could get you a ride in a 19ft and a 24ft the same night.

I'll try to answer your questions below.

Some of my family members and neighbors have pushed the idea of a pontoon/tri-toon, but the kids and I like the idea of a speed boat
Some thoughts on this even though it isn't a question. Tri-Toons have a ton of space and do MOST things really well. We were looking at a 'toon at one point. We didn't get one because the wake shape is garbage for wakeboarding. They're expensive in larger sizes and motor HP range. They tow terribly (They're big sails). If I had a wet slip to leave the boat for extended periods, a toon is about all I would consider. They're reasonably hard to sink, and it's not a maintenance issue if left in the water for long times. Many toons will run in the 35+mph range when equipped with the right engine. Don't completely dismiss them because they don't look cool, they're FAR FAR more spacious than a bowrider, and are the right tool for the job in a LOT of applications.
I know the saying is to buy your second boat first.
I HATE this advice. I hate hate hate it. If you aren't a boat person, or otherwise don't know what you need or want, why buy any more than you have to to "test the waters" so to speak. You see people doing one of two things with a boat after the first season. They are upgrading to something bigger, or they're selling to do something else. Rarely do you see people buying a giant/expensive boat with zero experience, then keeping it for decades. Those people have either had a boat before, been around a boat before, or otherwise were able to really narrow in on what they wanted.

Neighbors across the street bought a boat a few years ago. Had it one season. NOPE; boating isn't' for them. Sold it the next season and put in a pool. They liked the water, but not the lake. Neighbors next door rode with one season 5-6 times, decided boating IS for them. Sold their camper, found a new campground near the lake, bought a new camper and a 24ft Tri-Toon. They're boaters now. They had enough experience to buy the right boat the first time after riding on ours, not liking the ride, then riding on a friends toon and liking it better.

Buy the boat that is at the right stage for your boating life, and try to hedge your bets so that when you move on to the next thing, you don't lose your butt on this one. Gently used from a rural seller in a buyers market is usually the way to do this. My first boat was a '98 Rinker 182 I bought in 2007. Boat was 9yrs old, but was stored inside. I had it 7 seasons and sold it for a few grand less than I paid for it. I suggest a starter boat with few options that is easy and cheap to purchase, own, and operate while you learn boating first, then upgrade!
- Do you feel as though the 19' with the single engine is sufficient?
Yes 100%. 85% of the time it's just the wife, 2 boys, the dog and myself. Tons of space and adequate power for cruising and watersports with that load. 10% of the time it's us + a friend of the boys or two. 3-4 trips a year we want the full 8 persons capacity. 4 adults and 4 kids is SNUG. 8 adults is down right cramped for space. Only a few times a year we're usually playing "shuttle bus" to party cove and just hanging out all day.
We went to the dealership to purchase a 2016 242 Limited they had "leftover" from the year before. Brought home a brand new 2017 AR190. The ability to store it in our garage (and save on storage costs), as well as tow with a smaller vehicle sealed the deal for the 19ft for us. We were between the 195 and the 190. Got the 190 based on fuel usage, and the 195 in stock had a red tower we didn't like. I'm on the fence about that, but have no regrets about the length decision.
Sorta. Kinda wish I had gotten the 195 for the power/speed. Really only when I'm drag racing someone, or have 8 adults on board. So like 2-3 times a year. We're starting to want to entertain on the boat again, and the capacity limitations are in our face now. We have some friends with 3 kids, and we're one spot short now that we have two kids. A capacity of 10 would cover all but 1-2 trips a year. With that said, now that I've had my boat at my home for the last 5 seasons, I'm not sure I can go back to storing it somewhere else. I love being able to prep/tinker/modify/drink on the boat whenever I want. Can't fit a 24ft in the garage. If I raise the header I can fit a 21ft in there. We'll see.
Marginal Difference. Oil changes and spark plugs are double for a twin engine boat. With that said, they're $85/engine for all the supplies. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the cost of owning a boat. I was on the gulf this spring and running 12 gph at WOT and 36mph. @Sean R reports getting the same 12gph in his 212S at the same 36-ish mph. He's not at WOT, and I am. Typically you'll see around that 10-12gph when running dual 1.8's at cruise. Boattest has a lot of data on this, I would consider what kind of range you need/want, and go from there.
- Engine - is two better than one? The single engine is supercharged correct?
The singles are either supercharged or not. 190's are NOT. 192's and 195's ARE. No maintenance difference between supercharged and non-supercharged. Two - vs- one.....Meh. On an inland lake in KY you don't really need that "get me home" security of a second engine. I'm going to jinx myself here and say I've never been towed in. I have towed a few in, but not many. Good maintenance on a reliable platform will curb a LOT of that concern. Yamaha engines are pretty bulletproof, and the driveline in these is remarkably simple compared to an I/O. Even then you can usually call a marina for a tow if you have to. A BoatUS membership is $125/yr and covers on the water tows. If you're in the Gulf, or other salt water. I get the security, however I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on that. Others might disagree, but that's where I sit.
- Is there enough get up and go with the 19?
I think there is plenty. We recently had a guy here that bought a 190, and HATED it. Of course he put twelve people on it and attempted to go wakeboarding, but that's another story. We need to get you a ride on mine and @sunbyrned boat so you can feel what kind of power there is in a single 1.8, and a dual 1.8 setup. Personally our little 190 is plenty for us. Had 5 adults and 3 under 10yr old kids on Saturday of last week. It planed slower than I would have liked, but it still planed, and then ran a respectable 36mph up the Ohio River. I'm not winning any speed contests that way, but it's certainly fast enough that it doesn't feel "slow" for the people on board.
- For those that have never driven a boat or docked a boat, is the smaller boat easier to maneuver?
Might not be a fair answer here. We had an I/O 18ft bowrider for 7 seasons before getting the Yamaha. The jet boat is different. It doesn't steer as fast or as intuitive as our I/O did. Once you learn it, you can spin it within it's own length, walk it sideways, and other moves that I wouldn't dream of in the I/O. The I/O was better than a pontoon, and the jet is better than the I/O. Buddies pontoon turns like a bus. It's terrible. Our Yamaha spins on a dime, sometimes even when you don't want it to. The smaller boat will inherently fit places you wouldn't attempt to fit a 24ft into. Typically there's enough space for either though, so it's not really a pro or a con, just kinda is what it is.
- If we were to go with a smaller boat, will we outgrow it too quickly?
Hard to say here. Really depends on where your boating life takes you. If you become very social with boating, and find another family that loves to go and you really click with. Yea, you might outgrow it quickly. If you end up just being single family boaters, or you find other families with their own boat, you might love the smaller boat for years. This is a super hard one to answer. We're coming up on the end of our 12th season owning a sub 20ft boat. We're just NOW looking to get something bigger. Honestly though, the 19ft Yamaha hits above it's weight class in interior space, so we went from a tiny '90's era layout to a modern wider layout in the AR190, and are just now looking to grow in length for more seating and more power.
- Depreciation
In general. Yamaha's depreciate VERY slowly compared to other boats. They are an excellent value, i.e. you get a lot for what you spend. I went 15yrs on mine, and pay a little more. With COVID market I'm not upside down. With a "normal" market, I might be close to break even on mine after 4.5yrs of payments on a 15yr note. I searched for used boats when we bought in 2017, however we couldn't find any that were any more than about $5k less expensive than used ones in the 3-5yr old window. Loan rates were better on new, so it made it an overall LESS expensive purchase, even with the longer term. I'll refer to my above statement for a first time boat buyer. Get something that is already a ways down the depreciation curve, and enjoy it for a few seasons without losing a ton of money to see if you like it. If you LOVE boating, upgrade to the latest/greatest boat in a few years. If you're just kind MEH on it, then keep what you have, or sell and move along.
I don't think I'll ever own another style of boat than a Yamaha, until I get into "live aboard" sized boats. Maintenance is a breeze. The driveline is dead simple, and easily worked on. The rear platform area is hard to beat. They're light to tow, but still durable enough to take on the ocean if you want to (Someone took an SX190 to Bimini a few years ago, these are tough boats). Again, they're a great value. You can really stretch your smiles per dollar a good way with a jetboat.
You are a wordsmith 2kwik4u, that would have taken me all day to write and I would have gotten my wife to proof read it first. I think you were spot on. The original post was so long I skipped over it but when I saw you replied I gave it a read. ?

If you’re questioning if a 19 will be large enough then I’d buy at least the 21. Not to crap on @2kwik4u at all, but if you’re already worried about it then it’s going to nag at you in the back of your mind forever.

These boats are not particularly quiet to do a lot of cruising in. This is my primary, maybe the only, dislike of the boat.

If you’re questioning if a 19 will be large enough then I’d buy at least the 21. Not to crap on @2kwik4u at all, but if you’re already worried about it then it’s going to nag at you in the back of your mind forever.....

Not necessarily worried, as I just don't know what it feels like inside a 19 vs. a 21. Thankfully @2kwik4u will help decide that for us when he takes us out. I went to a local dealership that had a 24' on the floor. It had a sold sticker on it, as well as the mooring cover. Sales guy wouldn't even take off or crack open the cover for me to look at the interior from afar, for fear of the owner coming in. Hopefully that new owner got a good deal, cause the hull of the boat was heavily scratched.

It is very difficult to get a sense of what the boats are like when there are none around to look at, and you have not been around them before. Hence the questions. I know with people offering up to let me/us look at them, take us out on them, etc. will be a big help. Thankfully we are not in a rush, and can wait. Would be nice to have something by next spring. I also am hopeful that the boat show will happen this year, and we can explore more (granted I doubt any would actually be available.).

Not necessarily worried, as I just don't know what it feels like inside a 19 vs. a 21. Thankfully @2kwik4u will help decide that for us when he takes us out. I went to a local dealership that had a 24' on the floor. It had a sold sticker on it, as well as the mooring cover. Sales guy wouldn't even take off or crack open the cover for me to look at the interior from afar, for fear of the owner coming in. Hopefully that new owner got a good deal, cause the hull of the boat was heavily scratched.

It is very difficult to get a sense of what the boats are like when there are none around to look at, and you have not been around them before. Hence the questions. I know with people offering up to let me/us look at them, take us out on them, etc. will be a big help. Thankfully we are not in a rush, and can wait. Would be nice to have something by next spring. I also am hopeful that the boat show will happen this year, and we can explore more (granted I doubt any would actually be available.).
They look 2x as big in the dealership on a trailer as they do once you’re tied up to the dock.

I think I cited the wrong person above but doesn’t matter. Glad you’re getting a test ride!

They look 2x as big in the dealership on a trailer as they do once you’re tied up to the dock.

I think I cited the wrong person above but doesn’t matter. Glad you’re getting a test ride!
100% agree with this. Our boat looks huge on the trailer and tiny in the water.

I’ll be glad to help in any way I can. Just let me know. Any excuse to get the boat out works for me.

I think the 19fters look bigger in the water.

I have a 2016 AR192. For the most part it’s just me and my wife. (Empty Nesters). when we have our two sons, it’s a bit tight with space at times. we are considering a 24+ ft Yamaha For our next boat. When boat traffic is high, the larger cruisers and surf boats will create wakes that impact the ride dramatically in a negative way. Speed is not an issue. Maintenance is not expensive. Costs are half than a double engine. There’s no perfect boat but bigger is less of an issue.

I have a 2012 242 LS. It's my first boat, I LOVE IT!

I have 4 kids, 3, 6,12 and 18. They all love it! We go wakeboarding, tubing, wake surfing, out to lunch, out to watch the sunset/sunrise.... hoping to do some fishing soon.

sometimes we have friends, family, strangers on the boat, having the room is nice. I'd never go smaller. I bought a 24' to be able to fit two families. We do that with no problem.

ive limped home on a single motor a few times... I was so thankful I had the second motor. Unless I'm buying a super air nautique, I will always lean towards more than one motor.

I can go where other boats can't. Around here, it gets shallow fast... I couldn't imagine doing it with a prop in the water.

the swim platform can't be beat. No prop to worry about with kids, we sit right on the water and enjoy the heck out of life.

You can put a toilet in a 24'.... admittedly, I bought one and have never installed it. I use the head for storage. I also learned that there is a big difference between peeing IN the water and peeing INTO the water. Location, location, location.

the boat is so maneuverable with two motors. I can spin it on a dime, crab it straight sideways...it's tons of fun. It does take some getting used to... but with practice, you can put the boat anywhere you want it.

only maintenance I've done is routine maintenance and I also had to replace the throttle cables. When people ask me what BOAT stands for, I tell them Best Of All Times.

my only regret, I didn't buy it sooner.

my only wish, I bought one with integrated ballast... I want the new 25'....just need to sell the house first. Worth it.

I think the size more depends on your intended use. I bought the 24' coming from a 21' with a 200 HP outboard. The main reasons being that I mostly boat on a huge lake with limited help and I wanted the ability to limp back to the boat ramp with one engine if need be. Also, this lake can get nasty with wind and chop. In 2019 I had my AR240 in 8' swells and saved people off a sinking 21' boat similar to my previous boat. I wouldn't have attempted that in anything smaller. Economy will never be a factor in a boat, they all suck. Those who aren't familiar with our boats all think of jetboats as the little flat bottom boats with a blown big block taking up the whole stern, this is not the case with the Yamahas, obviously. Other than that, I think @2kwik4u summed it up better than I can.

I think the size more depends on your intended use. I bought the 24' coming from a 21' with a 200 HP outboard. The main reasons being that I mostly boat on a huge lake with limited help and I wanted the ability to limp back to the boat ramp with one engine if need be. Also, this lake can get nasty with wind and chop. In 2019 I had my AR240 in 8' swells and saved people off a sinking 21' boat similar to my previous boat. I wouldn't have attempted that in anything smaller. Economy will never be a factor in a boat, they all suck. Those who aren't familiar with our boats all think of jetboats as the little flat bottom boats with a blown big block taking up the whole stern, this is not the case with the Yamahas, obviously. Other than that, I think @2kwik4u summed it up better than I can.
Def agree with this, look at where you boat. I think my decision to go with a 24 is that I boat in the Chesapeake Bay and it can get snotty fast. On the best days there is chop and while a 19 or 21 foot boat can handle it, it's a little more comfortable in the 24.

I would think ahead when deciding on the size of your boat. Your kids are young and they will get bigger and want to bring their friends, toys etc. I was undecided myself between the 19 and 21. In the end, the only advantage of the 19 for me was that it would fit in my garage. Not sure about the 19, but my 21 has hella storage. If I was doing saltwater, I definitely would go with the 24.

Hey @The Canuck ... I'm just thinking ahead for you... in a few years, you'll be wanting to join a group that is going to Bimini, Bahamas, so get the 24 footer.

Hey @The Canuck ... I'm just thinking ahead for you... in a few years, you'll be wanting to join a group that is going to Bimini, Bahamas, so get the 24 footer.
I'm still somewhat convinced I want to take my 190.......Although after seeing the video from this year, I suspect I'll send the wife and kids over by ferry :D

Thank you all for the insight. I am sure I will have more questions once @2kwik4u & @sunbyrned take me out.

Do most people trailer their boats or are they stored on a lake? Any issues with them being in the water a majority of the time at the dock? I mean they are designed to be in the water, so it should be fine minus some scum build up.

Back