• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral Vortex 243 (2015) - posting codes every other start (p0201,p0202,p0203,p1030)

gulshome

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey all- hoping someone here has some insight, i find little to no real knowledge of Vortex details out there in the googleverse.

tl;dr: I have a twin 200hp rotax 1503 Vortex VRX - only the port engine is throwing codes - seems to be injector or ECM related (0201,0202,0203), and can find NOTHING about p1030. I've found several code lists that call it ECM Heater, I'm stumped as to what that means. My story begins below...

Boat is 5 y/o had been mostly great so far (O2 sensors went, had a leak in the exhaust, and a dead touchscreen - the Medallion system, all repaired under warranty). Batteries are the original and I noticed the port isn't holding a charge as well as it used to. I did an oil change, was going to have the dealer take care of the battery install - i haven't had much free time. I started it up yesterday, and the port stalled. At this point it posted all those codes (0201, 0202, 0203, 1030), and I noticed the voltmeter was showing down round 11v. I assumed the battery died and the ECM (or Medallion garbage) was unhappy. Got new batteries, replaced them both - I bought the Candoo Pro as well - and was able to clear all the fault codes. She started right up. Let it idle for about 5 mins, and stopped it. Just to be sure things look swell, I started her back up and the port threw all the codes again. Quit for the day after that - assuming that it may need to be plugged into shore power (have a Promarine battery charger installed) - maybe those "new" batteries were sitting on the shelf for a bit and need topping off. I'm stumped. Was hoping to take her out tomorrow, but it's not looking good.

If that was insult to injury - I removed the "key" that goes on the cut-off switch by the throttle, and stepped on it - hoping superglue cures it, but if not, anyone know where to get another? I assume in the current state of all things Vortex that may be a difficult task.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm exhausted at the moment, if I forgot any relevant deets to solve this please just shout.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!!! Tons of good stuff and people to help keep you safe and on the water.

I do know when the batteries go low all kinds of crap starts appearing. Seems as though you may have taken care of that but are dealing with the after effects. Best to keep your onboard charger plugged in all the time. I also have the CanDoo to clear codes but wish I got the BUDS instead (it does everything and at that time was the same price $400).

The p1030:
1599331611818.png

The other codes:
1599331785634.png

For BRP parts search this site. You can get/find most thing there.

There is also a Chaparral FB group that has lots of great info. You should check it out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Others can benefit from your findings.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I see you already on the FB group. Did they suggest anything?

gulshome

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you for all the help Dean! No, haven't made it to facebook yet, I use facebook about once a year. I need to grab an adult-style beverage before this boat drives me insane. Will check FB later tonight. Something still has me thinking electrical - we lost shore power at my marina at one point and the battery drained (I left the battery on switch on by accident, and the radio killed it) and the same sort of behavior happened - except it threw a heck of a lot of codes then - like a dozen different codes. There's zero way this boat has an injector problem spontaneously with ALL port-side injectors when it was running fine 5 mins before. Moreover only port side. Now if only my local Chaparral dealer would still service this stupid boat, I would just pay them to do all this, frankly. I'm on Lake Norman and "The Boat Rack" (where I bought) states they no longer even have diagnostic equipment. Shame on Chaparral and for me believing they wouldn't screw their customers.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
This is not you on FB?
1599333995902.png

gulshome

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not I, but I love that someone either 1) did that for me, or 2) has the same problem - any chance you have an actual link to that? Unless it's against the rules to link to FB.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Appears Keith Coffin did it for you. Do you know him?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
There are relays that will prevent an engine from starting. Several posts that mention it here and on FB. Do a search and you'll see. Good luck.

gulshome

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Don't know Keith, going to check the fuses and such, but it actually will start - if I clear the codes it will start right up. If I stop it, then start again - it will throw the codes. I can clear them, lol, and lather rinse repeat. So, it appears to me the engine is fine. I did see a post about corrosion, but the bilge is clean as a whistle, no corrosion on any cables to the engines/ecm I could see. I worry the ECM when flaky due to low voltage, but we'll see tomorrow after charging for a day.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@HELP Thread revival...hoping to take the boat out today but my port engine will crank but not fire and I am getting the same 4 codes (P0201, P0202, P0203, P1030).

I accidentally left the battery switch on after our last trip weeks ago. So it is safe to say the batteries were probably drained but I did not try to start it. However, I did just replace the batteries earlier this summer and the boat has been sitting in my driveway on a charger since Thursday.

Any thoughts? I do not have a way too clear the codes without getting it into the service shop. Fuses and wiring all look good.

UPDATE: Pulled the fuel rail and I was getting zero spray from the injectors. Bad ECM?

Last edited:

ashbone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@HELP Thread revival...hoping to take the boat out today but my port engine will crank but not fire and I am getting the same 4 codes (P0201, P0202, P0203, P1030).

I accidentally left the battery switch on after our last trip weeks ago. So it is safe to say the batteries were probably drained but I did not try to start it. However, I did just replace the batteries earlier this summer and the boat has been sitting in my driveway on a charger since Thursday.

Any thoughts? I do not have a way too clear the codes without getting it into the service shop. Fuses and wiring all look good.

UPDATE: Pulled the fuel rail and I was getting zero spray from the injectors. Bad ECM?
Did you ever get a resolution to this?