• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine/ engine temperature alert

Georgi Slavov

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so last weekend I took a longer trip than usual. I run for about 45 mins straight at about 6300-6500 rpm. Once I arrived I shut the engine off. About 3-4 minutes later I had adjust my docking and Shortly after I started the boat I got a check engine and continuous beeping noise as well as engine temperature sign too.
I shut it off immediately checked the engine , oil and all was good. Started it back up and water was coming out from the side so pump was working and after I restarted it it did not give me the alert not the check engine was on. Water coming out of the side was hot at first. I raised the Rpms to 3 k to I creSe the flor and it cooled off. I run the boat after that and I this never happed again.
Anyone else had a similar experience? Did I do something wrong? Should I be concerned ?
Thanks
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so last weekend I took a longer trip than usual. I run for about 45 mins straight at about 6300-6500 rpm. Once I arrived I shut the engine off. About 3-4 minutes later I had adjust my docking and Shortly after I started the boat I got a check engine and continuous beeping noise as well as engine temperature sign too.
I shut it off immediately checked the engine , oil and all was good. Started it back up and water was coming out from the side so pump was working and after I restarted it it did not give me the alert not the check engine was on. Water coming out of the side was hot at first. I raised the Rpms to 3 k to I creSe the flor and it cooled off. I run the boat after that and I this never happed again.
Anyone else had a similar experience? Did I do something wrong? Should I be concerned ?
Thanks
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Engine overheat can happen if you run a lot of turns and the exhaust may become temporarily starved for water, can also happen immediately after a hard run - always best to slow cruise/idle/high idle for a few seconds before turning it off to allow for some cooling.
I usually check with my hand, just like you did, and wait until the water coming out of the cooling (pisser) holes is not scalding hot anymore.
If your alarm did not go off again I would not worry!

--

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run 6500 rpms at cruise; it seems to give the best performance and boat attitude on plane. With our typical load (trolling motor w/ 2 dedicated batteries, 3 average size people and 3/4 of a tank), we run between 28 and 30 mph in good conditions in salt water. Yesterday my son was driving, and he was holding 6200 rpms. As he was doing everything well (prepared the boat, all driving and navigating), I did not say anything, but I kept thinking another 300 rpms would give a little more speed and a flatter boat angle.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also check your intake under the boat. If it gets clogged even slightly with weeds or other debris in the hot weather it will overheat quickly.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run 6500 rpms at cruise; it seems to give the best performance and boat attitude on plane. With our typical load (trolling motor w/ 2 dedicated batteries, 3 average size people and 3/4 of a tank), we run between 28 and 30 mph in good conditions in salt water. Yesterday my son was driving, and he was holding 6200 rpms. As he was doing everything well (prepared the boat, all driving and navigating), I did not say anything, but I kept thinking another 300 rpms would give a little more speed and a flatter boat angle.
Kid is just being nice to your boat. He is thrilled to have the responsibility of planing and driving it. He does not want to do anything that would have you take that away. You can just say something like “ What do you think is a good cruise for the FSH 6,800 rpm’s? During any chat and next time I bet he will be right up there now that he knows your ok with it. Enjoy!

Xwinger61

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ya I had some leafs plug up the intake. There's about a 2 or 3" gap between the two propellers were water is taken into the motor for cooling. I was idoling around the dock while others were unloading and they stirred up the bottom. And the jet sucked it in. Clean out does give you access to that area.

20171008_114120.jpg

WBeads

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had a similar issue this past weekend when we were on a slow cruise around the lake. Ended up sucking in some weeds. Cleaned out the ports and ran the engines up to 3k rpm and the temperature alarm turned off. I had water flow coming out of both ports, but think I was not getting enough water thru to cool the engines.

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It happens a lot with this boat... when you are at high RPMs is cooling fine even if you have some seaweed... but after is on idle after 2 min will start bitching.... 100 percent of the times when i get the boat out there is seaweed....