• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine light came on, can't find p code

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello can someone give me some direction on this? 2014 Scarab 195, supercharged 4-tec, 136 hours. Yesterday my boat suddenly cavitated at around twelve miles per hour, but only briefly. I shut off the boat, then restarted it, and it hesitated for a bit and then operated normally, but the check engine light came on. After the check engine light came on the boat operated normally like I said.

Here is my problem, How do I identify the check engine code? I think this is an 02 sensor issue because this happened about three years ago and I replaced either the pre cat or the post cat 02 sensor I can't remember which but it fixed the problem. I thought the code comes up on its own on the display but I can't remember. Is there a procedure to pull up the check engine light stored code on the display?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
If the code is active, while the engine is running, you can find it in the settings. If it isn't active, you need software, Candoo Pro or BUDS home to access the code.

Inactive codes MAY clear on their own IF the problem is gone after a certain number of engine cycles/run time. Otherwise, you need one of those two softwares to clear it.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If the code is active, while the engine is running, you can find it in the settings. If it isn't active, you need software, Candoo Pro or BUDS home to access the code.

Inactive codes MAY clear on their own IF the problem is gone after a certain number of engine cycles/run time. Otherwise, you need one of those two softwares to clear it.
When you say "settings", how do I get to that? Thank you.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Using the mode and set buttons along with the adjust switch. See the attached guide.
Awesome, thanks. So I can tell you that "FAULT CO" was not in the menu selection when I scrolled through the Menu on Saturday on the water w the boat running and the CEL illuminated. That means I'll need to purchase Candoo Pro or BUDS to find out why the CEL is on? Where do I interface w the laptop and the boat? I'm assuming there's an OBD2 style connector somewhere, maybe behind the seatback in front of the steering wheel?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You need to purchase and receive hardware before you can plug in. There's a diagnostic port right by the battery tethered to the fuse box. It has a white cap on it. The software comes with hardware that has the connector that plugs into that.

The alternative is to find a dealer or wait it out to see if it goes away.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You need to purchase and receive hardware before you can plug in. There's a diagnostic port right by the battery tethered to the fuse box. It has a white cap on it. The software comes with hardware that has the connector that plugs into that.

The alternative is to find a dealer or wait it out to see if it goes away.
Ok do you think it's ok to drive it w the CEL illuminated? There are no issues in terms of performance. Boat is driving normal. I think it kicked the problem but there's a stored code which is illuminating the CEL. Thoughts?

Btw I looked up Candoo Pro and yes I could get that for future use, but I am a little pressed since I want to go boating tmrw on a great weather day.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Without knowing why the check engine light is on, I can't say either way. But it definitely sounds like a simple O2 sensor or something stupid since you're not seeing any performance loss. Or a past code that isn't active anymore. Just don't go in remote areas with no way to call for help. And of course, there's always a possibility you have a major issue but we don't know it and you cause more harm. But I agree it's unlikely.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Without knowing why the check engine light is on, I can't say either way. But it definitely sounds like a simple O2 sensor or something stupid since you're not seeing any performance loss. Or a past code that isn't active anymore. Just don't go in remote areas with no way to call for help. And of course, there's always a possibility you have a major issue but we don't know it and you cause more harm. But I agree it's unlikely.
So I do see Fault Codes now in my menu as I scroll thru. I am on the lake today. They are P0300, and P0303. Researched it and it's cylinder misfire. P0303 indicates misfire on cylinder 3, I believe. Thoughts on how to proceed?

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I changed the serial spark plugs a few years ago. Maybe they're so. I can't remember which NGK plugs I bought. Do you know where I can find that?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Change all 3 spark plugs. Inexpensive fix and those codes will automatically go away too. That's probably all it is. So what you experienced was unlikely to be cavitation. Just a loss of one plug temporarily. Common when a plug goes.

Make sure the if ignition coils are clean when you reinstall them. Torque the plugs correctly. 13 lbf.ft if you have a torque wrench. You require a spark plug socket, 5/8" and an extension.

NGK 4339 DCPR8E SeaDoo 4-Tec Spark Plug Set All 130 155 185 215 255 260 RXP RXT X GTI GTX Wake GTS GTI 3 Pack https://a.co/d/0g4QE5bA

Note the 4339 is important. They have a removable terminal which you'll need to unscrew. Look at your old ones and compare and you'll see why I mean. That's Amazon Canada.

It's recommended you use dielectric grease around the rubber boots go ensure water doesn't get into the plugs.

If you need more help, just PM me. Some are very experienced here, others are newbies. All good. Changing them is trivial and easy.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Change all 3 spark plugs. Inexpensive fix and those codes will automatically go away too. That's probably all it is. So what you experienced was unlikely to be cavitation. Just a loss of one plug temporarily. Common when a plug goes.

Make sure the if ignition coils are clean when you reinstall them. Torque the plugs correctly. 13 lbf.ft if you have a torque wrench. You require a spark plug socket, 5/8" and an extension.

NGK 4339 DCPR8E SeaDoo 4-Tec Spark Plug Set All 130 155 185 215 255 260 RXP RXT X GTI GTX Wake GTS GTI 3 Pack Amazon.ca

Note the 4339 is important. They have a removable terminal which you'll need to unscrew. Look at your old ones and compare and you'll see why I mean. That's Amazon Canada.

It's recommended you use dielectric grease around the rubber boots go ensure water doesn't get into the plugs.

If you need more help, just PM me. Some are very experienced here, others are newbies. All good. Changing them is trivial and easy.
Picked up 3 today from O'Reilly auto parts for $4.50 each let's go.