• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Check list - leaving boat at the slip soon

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat will live for a month at a time at the marina slip in the water. I will likely be on it/there one or more times a week. I am starting think through preparations. One big question is do I turn off the battery switches? Does the bilge pump work regardless - obviously an important issue. I figure I will lock things up, tie it up, and take the keys. I have a separate thread about covering. Any other insight or thoughts to help me reduce anxiety over this would be helpful.

My boat will live for a month at a time at the marina slip in the water. I will likely be on it/there one or more times a week. I am starting think through preparations. One big question is do I turn off the battery switches? Does the bilge pump work regardless - obviously an important issue. I figure I will lock things up, tie it up, and take the keys. I have a separate thread about covering. Any other insight or thoughts to help me reduce anxiety over this would be helpful.

I have a 2019 AR240. I have tested my boat several times by filling the bilge with water from a running hose and the pump comes on with the switches off. I don't think this is the case with older boats. If you want to test throw the hose in the back of the engine compartment and see if the bilge pump comes on with the switches off. I felt a whole lot better when mine came on.

I have a 2019 AR240. I have tested my boat several times by filling the bilge with water from a running hose and the pump comes on with the switches off. I don't think this is the case with older boats. If you want to test throw the hose in the back of the engine compartment and see if the bilge pump comes on with the switches off. I felt a whole lot better when mine came on.

Thanks - will do this.

You don’t say fresh or salt (assuming fresh)? or what year/model JB?
- 1 bilge pump is like none (they clog/fail): install a backup that is float activated and not always on (like the OEM resistance switch one, that test runs every minute or so and if it feels water, then it runs until it feels no resistance). Plumb the backup separate to avoid back-flow or over load of two pumps into one through-hull port.
- Can you get shore power? Depending on your power situation... a solar battery tender may be required to keep everything charged as needed (for the bilges of course, and to start the engines for your days out on the water).
- You may need anti-fouling paint? At least a super wax job with the type meant for your water and leaving it in. Spray Wax (motorcycle chain wax works well) all the metals of the jet pump (take off or cover the zinc so it does not get coated by wax). You will probably have to haul it, power wash and scrub and clean, then wax it again, multiple times a season.
- Zinc anodes appropriate for your water (salt requires different than what is OEM on Yamaha, magnesium I think?)
- Flush shutoff / emergency tow valves to shut off the raw water intake from the jet pump (must if you are in salt trying to flush engines with hose water while in the water), and helps run salt-away through the engines. Either way using these for flushing seems to make the hose water flush way more efficient and effective. And I would shut them off if left in the water ... another through-hull “sea cock” that if not needed should be off (and make sure you open them to run the engines and get underway).
- Triple check all through-hull fittings (on land, you can fill bilge with water up and look for leaks). I have seen water come in through the intermediate bearing seal area at the joint to the hull, and around the impeller shaft “tube” (near the clean out ports). There are a lot of below water through-hull fittings that must be checked and resealed, and tightened, if needed.
- Excellent mooring cover (is it covered in a boat barn ?), and vent the cover with a solar fan or adequate waterproof vent system.
- Probably don't want to leave carpet or other water trapping material onboard.
- Also, you may seriously want think about not leaving it in water for long. Maybe use ramps or an air dock system that can lift the boat up out of the water. The investment in those like Boat Lift Manufacturer of Boat Lifts and Docks ( I see these heavily used on salt areas with jet boats in slips), or any lift that would work in your slip situation ..... may be something to consider after you see the cost of leaving it in water. (my 09 AR210 previous owner did for one season in a lake, then stopped ... and gave me a ton of lessons learned from that experience).

yes you will need to check your pump yourself. my 08 232 did not pump with the switches off. my 2021 does come on with switches off. if i look at the 2020 owner manual though it says it doesnt come on so this seems to be a change they made for 2021 model year. if crazy4life has a 2018 and his comes on they yamaha clearly switches back and forth from one year to the next. my boat stays in a slip in a freshwater part of a river. i have zero issues leaving the boat in the water. we really dont get any growth here. a once a month haul out and powerwash may be necessary for you.

Pretty sure they have all come on from 2018 forward automatically

You need to check your boat to ensure the bilge cycles with the batteries off. It doesn’t in my 2017, and I think 15 and 16 doesn’t either. I believe this was corrected with the 2018 model year, but you should verify.

You don’t say fresh or salt (assuming fresh)? or what year/model JB?
- 1 bilge pump is like none (they clog/fail): install a backup that is float activated and not always on (like the OEM resistance switch one, that test runs every minute or so and if it feels water, then it runs until it feels no resistance). Plumb the backup separate to avoid back-flow or over load of two pumps into one through-hull port.
- Can you get shore power? Depending on your power situation... a solar battery tender may be required to keep everything charged as needed (for the bilges of course, and to start the engines for your days out on the water).
- You may need anti-fouling paint? At least a super wax job with the type meant for your water and leaving it in. Spray Wax (motorcycle chain wax works well) all the metals of the jet pump (take off or cover the zinc so it does not get coated by wax). You will probably have to haul it, power wash and scrub and clean, then wax it again, multiple times a season.
- Zinc anodes appropriate for your water (salt requires different than what is OEM on Yamaha, magnesium I think?)
- Flush shutoff / emergency tow valves to shut off the raw water intake from the jet pump (must if you are in salt trying to flush engines with hose water while in the water), and helps run salt-away through the engines. Either way using these for flushing seems to make the hose water flush way more efficient and effective. And I would shut them off if left in the water ... another through-hull “sea cock” that if not needed should be off (and make sure you open them to run the engines and get underway).
- Triple check all through-hull fittings (on land, you can fill bilge with water up and look for leaks). I have seen water come in through the intermediate bearing seal area at the joint to the hull, and around the impeller shaft “tube” (near the clean out ports). There are a lot of below water through-hull fittings that must be checked and resealed, and tightened, if needed.
- Excellent mooring cover (is it covered in a boat barn ?), and vent the cover with a solar fan or adequate waterproof vent system.
- Probably don't want to leave carpet or other water trapping material onboard.
- Also, you may seriously want think about not leaving it in water for long. Maybe use ramps or an air dock system that can lift the boat up out of the water. The investment in those like Boat Lift Manufacturer of Boat Lifts and Docks ( I see these heavily used on salt areas with jet boats in slips), or any lift that would work in your slip situation ..... may be something to consider after you see the cost of leaving it in water. (my 09 AR210 previous owner did for one season in a lake, then stopped ... and gave me a ton of lessons learned from that experience).

Dfred thanks for the detailed reply. It is fresh water, first and probably most important. 2018 242X e-series. The marina is a busy in-city type place with restaurants and tourists - but the slip area is locked. no barns or even a ramp. Ramp is down river a bit at another marina but I plan on pulling it out and taking it home once a moth for cleaning/maintenance. End of (east coast US) summer it will be properly stored.

Thanks again.

Back