• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Choosing a Dual Action Polisher

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shopping around for a decent Dual Action Polisher for medium to light scratches and mild oxidation.
I noticed Harbor Freight has a new long throw for $109. Plus they're running a 20% coupon until the end of April.
I hear long throws have the benefit of faster results, but might not be best for tight spaces. I'd like to hear your suggestions!

Here are the runner ups:
  • Bauer 6 In. 7.5 Amp Dual Action Random Orbit Polisher. 20mm throw (5.9lbs). $109.
  • Bauer 6 In. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher (5.6lbs) $79.
  • PORTER-CABLE Variable Speed Polisher, 6-Inch 4.5 amp (7424XP). 8mm throw (6.55 lbs) $119.
  • Griots Garage 6" 7 amp RANDOM ORBITAL (6.9lbs) $129.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
what is the purpose of the polisher?
I have a porter cable XP DA. I used it for cars. Love it. Had it for years.

For the boat I used a harbor freight orbital polisher with their wool pads. In my experience gel coat is very different than car paint. So I used the polisher on the boat. It was cheap and has worked great so far.

943991A5-EED2-49F6-9384-2C53016C8BFE.jpeg

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Polisher will be for the boat.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Shopping around for a decent Dual Action Polisher for medium to light scratches and mild oxidation.
I noticed Harbor Freight has a new long throw for $109. Plus they're running a 20% coupon until the end of April.
I hear long throws have the benefit of faster results, but might not be best for tight spaces. I'd like to hear your suggestions!

Here are the runner ups:
  • Bauer 6 In. 7.5 Amp Dual Action Random Orbit Polisher. 20mm throw (5.9lbs). $109.
  • Bauer 6 In. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher (5.6lbs) $79.
  • PORTER-CABLE Variable Speed Polisher, 6-Inch 4.5 amp (7424XP). 8mm throw (6.55 lbs) $119.
  • Griots Garage 6" 7 amp RANDOM ORBITAL (6.9lbs) $129.
I have the 5.7 amp Bauer and it works fine, I dont like the switch position it is in an awkward position that just bugs the crap out of me I think the 7.5 amp one has improved the position. I did replace the backing plate with a Meguiars plate and use Meguiars Pads and found they work better the the HF brand. Also check that coupon to make surethe bauer brands is included I don't think HF coupons apply to bauer brands so.......check that coupon FINE print before you head out!

Last edited:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is no regret to buying a quality tool. If you are new to RO polishers, I would suggest the new Griot's G9 for $149. In addition to the power (watts / amps) of a buffer, you want a good amount of throw. Griot's G9 has 9mm, which is a good place to start. If you want to buy your last buffer first, you could buy either a Flex 3401 with forced pad rotation ($435) or a long throw (15-21mm) buffer from Griots or Rupes ($250-450).

I have a Griot's 3 and 6 inch buffer, and I have the Flex 3401. You spent 10s of thousands for your boat - why would you want to buy a lesser product to save $50, and the same goes for the pads and liquids. Also if you buy a better product, you will enjoy using it on your boat and autos. My son has my old Honda (it will be 10 years old this August), and it looks better than the day I bought it - absolutely serious.

For reference, here is my routine with photos.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got an ols meguiars g110, it's basically a pc 7424. Works great, I have more issue with the smaller spaces I can't get it into than anything. FWIW mine is over 10.years old and going strong.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Griot's. Love it. Period. I haven't tried a bunch of others, but this thing has power to go for miles (no matter how hard you push on it, it just keeps going). Variable speeds are good, very comfortable tool to use. Now, I would not just buy an expensive tool, but heard this one was the best and worth it. It has not disappointed. I got the one with the short cord (for my money, I can pull one of my billions of extension cords out to use with it rather than spending extra on a tool). I use it on the boat and the cars.

IMHO, etc.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There is no regret to buying a quality tool. If you are new to RO polishers, I would suggest the new Griot's G9 for $149. In addition to the power (watts / amps) of a buffer, you want a good amount of throw. Griot's G9 has 9mm, which is a good place to start. If you want to buy your last buffer first, you could buy either a Flex 3401 with forced pad rotation ($435) or a long throw (15-21mm) buffer from Griots or Rupes ($250-450).

I have a Griot's 3 and 6 inch buffer, and I have the Flex 3401. You spent 10s of thousands for your boat - why would you want to buy a lesser product to save $50, and the same goes for the pads and liquids. Also if you buy a better product, you will enjoy using it on your boat and autos. My son has my old Honda (it will be 10 years old this August), and it looks better than the day I bought it - absolutely serious.

Been in the detail game a long time. I have a PC 7424xp I use mainly as a 3" polisher, but it's also my backup. Had both my flex 3401 die AND both my backing plates for my Griots Boss 21 break(6" and 5" backing plate). How is beyond me. Emailed Griots and they're sending me 2 new plates. So it was nice to have that as a backup. For boats I stick to rotary's for the most part. Granted those aren't for the faint of heart, but gelcoat is far more forgiving than paint. If money was no object, OR I did this for a full time gig I'd look into the Rupes polishers or the new line of battery powered flex polishers. Rupes is eating up market share quickly, but you go into just about any detail shop and you'll be hard pressed not to find a flex polisher of some type in there. I likely had hundreds of hours on my flex before it crapped out. Replaced the brushes and worked again for 15 mins and died. So I think it's time to just get a new one. Lasted about 10 years, so that's impressive.

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I recommend PORTER-CABLE, this one’s also beginner-friendly, so first-time users of boat buffers won’t have any issue using this tool for polishing their boat. Additionally, it won’t even take you a lot of time just to adjust the speed since it’s fairly easy and safe to use. In terms of its build, the polisher is fairly lightweight and compact.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have the G9 and love it. Works great on the boat and vehicles

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the g9 by griot as well. I’ve only used it once and it worked great in my opinion. It was the most expensive model that pep boys carried at $150ish but was reminded that I get what I pay for in that I had a buffer polisher that I paid $40 for that didn’t work well at all. Additional context, I’ve paid $400 to have a “pro” detail my boat on the past. Before this last season I got a quote of $1,200 to detail my boat and “make the areas under the decals I removed blend in with the surrounding paint. So I went out and bought a g9, all the optional pads, waxes, etc. total cost around $300 and a weekend washing, waxing/polishing my boat. As a result it turned out fine (I didn’t do anything special. Just followed the directions that came with it where where speed and compound was concerned). Additionally, I will never pay anyone to do it again, well maybe I’d pay my son and his friends to It, just to put some money in their pockets without giving it away.
E28DB687-AA5F-46C5-910D-918CC3A0B018.jpeg

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Porter-Cable variable speed polisher. After watching several youtube videos, I gave it a try. Do a lot of research on which color pads to use and you'll be fine. My boat came out perfect with no swirl or any other kind of marks. If I can do a perfect job with the Porter-Cable 7424XP anyone can.