• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CobraJet installed on a 2021 AR190

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered the CobraJet Ultimate Deluxe on Monday and had it by Thursday. Took about 30 minutes to install. Jeff is awesome to deal with. He asked the I send him pics of the install so he could verify I did it right. Responded back to me in minutes. Going to take it our this evening to test it out!

IMG_5806.jpgIMG_5807.jpg

Kdkns

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was there a reason you felt it was needed to install? I’m getting an AR190 as well and was going to wait a few weeks of usage to see if I really needed.
Also interested in how this affects your high speed turning.

marksAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed one on my 2020 ar 190. Night and day difference. I hated it the way it steered new out of the factory. Being that i owned outboards my whole life, the factory jet steering experience was killing me and i almost sold the boat with 15 hours on it. This little gem fixed it where now it reacts to about 80% of what I was used to. Dont leave home without it!!! Its now a whole different boat. Hour to install and the owner of the product is great responding to your questions if you have any. Just need to watch the u tube video before install. The instructions that come with it are very difficult to follow. I'm very surprised that Yamaha doesnt put these on as a standard steering item.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Basically exactly what @marksAR190 said. Like you I was going to drive it for a few weeks and put them on over the winter. After beating up the Gunwale of my new 35K boat trying to dock it, The Service Writer at my first service said I needed to get them. I can tell you that one the first time out I noticed a noticeable difference, Coming off of speed into a no wake zone, the boat used to wash out.. That is gone. Running in no wake mode the boat tracks very straight now. Low speed steering is vastly improved. Lined the boat right up when loading on the trailer and pulled her straight in. I never had steering issues at speed, Using the combination of steering and increased throttle, it would turn on a dime. If you are waiting on your AR, order them today and install them the day you get it. You will not regret it.

jimbobalu

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a reason why you chose this over the CJS VIPER Steering System? I'm getting the AR190 and the Viper seems simpler and cheaper.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a reason why you chose this over the CJS VIPER Steering System? I'm getting the AR190 and the Viper seems simpler and cheaper.
The Viper is a fixed mount system. I personally liked the fact that the the ultimate was spring loaded and retracts if it contacts something. Less chance of it breaking OEM parts if it contacts something! I also liked the adjustable configuration positions. Even though I've only used it in the recommended position, having the ability to tweak it in the future was another feature that I desired. Don't think that you can really go wrong with either... The only mistake would be using the boat with one!

marksAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually didnt know the Viper system existed. I happened upon the cobra jet system and went with it. And, the great thing was I talked to the owner Jeff before I bought the Cobrajet System and felt really comfy. So its really up to you. Both systems work. But as in the above response, the cobra jet system is spring loaded and will retract and has different settings which i believe is also a plus. Bottom line the boat steers a lot better.

LawRenceAr190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered the CobraJet Ultimate Deluxe on Monday and had it by Thursday. Took about 30 minutes to install. Jeff is awesome to deal with. He asked the I send him pics of the install so he could verify I did it right. Responded back to me in minutes. Going to take it our this evening to test it out!

View attachment 131027View attachment 131028
Awesome!! I installed mine a week ago or so. Love it so far!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I actually didnt know the Viper system existed. I happened upon the cobra jet system and went with it. And, the great thing was I talked to the owner Jeff before I bought the Cobrajet System and felt really comfy. So its really up to you. Both systems work. But as in the above response, the cobra jet system is spring loaded and will retract and has different settings which i believe is also a plus. Bottom line the boat steers a lot better.
The Viper system is a Cobra Jet Steering product as well

LawRenceAr190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best upgrade you can do in my opinion. But you did make me a little sad as my boat is put away for the winter!
Sorry sir! Im just glad in Central cali the lakes are good for fishing all year round.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember when I installed CObras in my old single I simply could not stop smiling.

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both are worth every penny.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just got the kids Wakeboards for Xmas, So you are probably right on the money!
You can get away without it for wakeboarding, barely. But if you plan on surfing it’s absolutely necessary.