• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Code p0340

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Took the boat out today. Boat ran fine. As the day went on was getting harder to start. In the way back to the ramp the check engine light came on. Checked the code and its p0340. Googled it and it says it's the camshaft sensor. Pulled the plug and about half a court of antifreeze came out of the bilge. Think it came out of the overflow. Didn't get any over heat codes. Anyone have any problems like that?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have had that error. It pertains to your hard starts. Check your batteries. They must be fully charged to prevents hard start. Not sure if the pic below will help but it's a start.

1583292852884.png

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have had that error. It pertains to your hard starts. Check your batteries. They must be fully charged to prevents hard start. Not sure if the pic below will help but it's a start.

View attachment 112803
Just replaced the battery today. The old one was starting to drain last summer. I'm gonna check out that diagram.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just replaced the battery today. The old one was starting to drain last summer. I'm gonna check out that diagram.
These engines and all it's electronics rely on batteries being at their best. If they're not, all kinds of crazy sh!t happens. If you haven't all ready, invest in an on-board charger. Check my sig for what I did.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Replaced the camshaft position sensor. Problem fixed.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yeah it was pretty simple. Had to remove the mass air meter and air intake tube to fit my fat hand back there to get to the sensor. But it wasn't hard. Its 1 small bolt and one plug and it comes right out. Took about 20 minutes. I don't recommend dropping the bolt. It's a pain in the ass to reach under the engine to get to it. But I replaced it. Put the boat in the water boat fired right off. Code went away immediately. Had to run the boat a little bit to get the check engine light off. Now I gotta figure out why I'm getting anti freeze in the bottom of the bilge.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Oh yeah the sensor is expensive! 100 bucks from brp.

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have the same P0340 code and trying to see if the dealer will get me the part under warranty...

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wonder if I can run the boat with this code active...I checked the relays and connector and all looked ok. The engine starts fine but may take 2 or 3 times to start but it runs...just want to know if it is a serious thing or if it is ok to run until I can get it swapped out...

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Check the clamp at the bottom of the coolant reservoir. Mine were stripped from over-tightened from the factory. If you feel coolant along the bottom of that hose, that’s your culprit. Others have had clamps holding the heat exchanger coolant hoses with similar issues.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Wonder if I can run the boat with this code active...I checked the relays and connector and all looked ok. The engine starts fine but may take 2 or 3 times to start but it runs...just want to know if it is a serious thing or if it is ok to run until I can get it swapped out...
It won’t cause permanent damage, but you may get stranded and need a tow.

Kvloogy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Second time in the water with mine. 0.5 hours on engine. Died on me at throttle up and wouldn’t restart. Getting the p0340 as well. Hope its an easy fix. The 165g does not tow well!!