• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

coil pack spring connectors

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was thinking , and thought id get feedback before tampering with these coil packs .. as they are $230.00 each , and hard to find .... so question is can the boot come off the coil packs to access and remove the spring connector inside to clean / or replace ?

thanks

I’m didnt see an easy way to disassemble a coil but think it could be done, separating the rubber boot from the plastic component. Unless the coil has failed I would just leave it alone. Besides, you can’t buy the coils components separately.

I’ve had two fail on me. The boot deteriorated and the spring fell off. I bought two at a discount through Amazon, both looked good but were DOA. I ended up buying one from Yamaha sports plaza or my local power sports shopfor full price and it worked fine. There are bundled deals on Amazon for as little as $100 for four but given my experience I know that the time to buy generic/economy is not on coils.

they are about 9 years old and though it would be good idea to clean them from inside IE LIGHT ABRASION TO THE CONNECTORS ..Anyhow i was looking at the after market ones on ebay ,, as spares/ experament.. did the after market ones fail on you ? what about them makes them fail is it the components cheaper lower quality compared to OEM ?... There is also another brand called VENOM wonder if they are any good ? thanks

Most of my coils are now 11 years old. The ones I got from Amazon didn’t fail on me, they were dead on arrival. I don’t know why neither of the two didn’t work for me, I exchanged the first one for the second one and got a refund on the second one. I went to the dealer for the two new ones (one in each engine), paid full price but both worked fine right out of the box and still seem to be fine two seasons later. I don’t have any experience with the venom brand of coils.

i am willing to buy 4 for $100 on Amazon but would only keep them around as spares after verifying they function properly. All my coils are currently working so I’m reluctant to replace any for preventative maintenance reasons except one which is showing signs of deterioration on/in its boot. See the attached pic of a 2010 oem coil.

46F8D4E8-351F-42C0-9FED-93651419AF88.jpeg

Back