• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Color Change?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we got our boat down to FL after quite some time in NC in storage and it's filthy gross. But even when we had it in NC, it had some upkeep that needed done as the original.owners kept.it outdoors and seemingly.uncovered. Essemtially, anything that was a dark gray or similar has faded pretty significantly, the helm area trim, the dash trim, etc is all faded.

I'm planning to try to wetland it back to.life, but assuming the trim doesn't wet sand back and needs repainted, im.considering going with a new color. My boat is cuŕrently.gray, with all white seats. I was thinking adding a little.bit of light seafood type colors that's on all.the boats around here would look really.nice and freshen it up some.

My questions are, has anyone done this, and if you were a buyer of a 15 year old.boat that had been cor cha get would that bother you? It's kinda taboo on cars to do, but is it the same for.boats? Would anyone even notice?

So, the first thing is that you should be aware that the boat now, if stock, is not painted. It is fiberglass, which is glass mat below a layer (thin on our boats) of gelcoat (and in some areas 2 layers of gelcoat, where there is a second color on the boat). Gelcoat is different from paint in several ways, but most notable presently is a) it is a 2-part system with a hardener (more akin to epoxy, actually) that usually goes on thicker, and 2) it cures best outside the presence of oxygen.

I have heard of people painting over fiberglass. But be aware that you will need a paint designed to do that specifically (and may need an etching primer, etc.). And, if you paint it a different color, if you get a scratch... the old color will be below, of course.

Other option is to gelcoat over the gelcoat with a new color. That will give you a sturdier finish (still, if you chip it, you will see the undercolor). You can spray gelcoat, but, you are still talking about a BIG job, especially when it comes to covering it to allow it to cure (it doesn't really dry--it cures). And then you will need to sand and polish to get it even and smooth... Big job. Probably not a DIY if you want it to look decent.

I would really lay into the restoration of the existing coat. I have not done it, but several here have and you will find some nice threads on using a wool pad, techniques, pictures and the lot. I would investigate those (and I am sure others will chime in who have done that work). Basically you need to remove that oxidized layer and polish it up. It will take some work, but you can probably get it good as new. Do post some pics if you have them, so folks can see how it looks now. (those are also good for the before/after pics to really wow folks when you are done)

You know... I wasn't sure if the interior pieces were gelcoat too. The helm for instance. If that areas isngelcoat, then it might be as simple as wetland ding to a nice finish. That'd be a dream.

Just have someone wrap the boat. 2-3k.

I've kinda thought about wrapping the outside, it's the complex curves on the interior that worry me some.

There are some really good installers across the state, might be worth a phone call.

I probably would wrap the outside, and have a pro detail the inside back to life. Wrap any trim that couldn't be saved.

You know... I wasn't sure if the interior pieces were gelcoat too. The helm for instance. If that areas isngelcoat, then it might be as simple as wetland ding to a nice finish. That'd be a dream.

Yes, many of them are... But not all. On my helm, for example, there is a plate around the ignition switches (not gelcoat--just plastic). But that is screwed into the fiberglass that makes up the helm, which is a different color from the helm, which of course is gelcoat.

But I like the wrap idea...

There are some really good installers across the state, might be worth a phone call.

I probably would wrap the outside, and have a pro detail the inside back to life. Wrap any trim that couldn't be saved.

I do like the idea of a wrap for the lower hull. I foguck I could.probably do that myself, though I'm sure the wrap guys get such good bulk pricing it's probably not much cheaper to diy.

I think I just gotta get wetsanding and see where I end up. Some of the pictures of.people wetsa.ding the boats do some.really impressive refurbs.

Back