• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Concern with what I found in drain plug hole

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I was getting the boat ready to take out tomorrow and noticed when I walked around the back of the boat that there were metal shavings around the drain plug hole. No big deal, new 2017 boat that's expected from yamaha"s poor QA team. Well I put my pinky in the hole as far as I could go to see if there was a lot more in there and I could feel quite a bit. I decided to grab the shop vac and get out as much as I could. After running for a few minutes I look back in the hole and see something larger sitting there. It was a half inch nut! It was to big to pull out the drain hole so I went into the boat to try to get it out from the engine side. No luck at all. My concern is where did this nut come from. The boat has 15 hours on it and the only install I've done was an audio upgrade and I did not use any nuts and bolts. What are your thoughts?

I found stuff like that in my boat too.

I found a leprechaun once in my engine compartment, scared the shit out of me, he popped right up and said "Eh, 'Bout time". In all seriousness, I too was surprised at the amount of fiberglass and metal shavings in the bilge area, expected in a new boat though. I have found a few smaller nuts and washers and looked a while then gave up. I've started collecting what I find in my glovebox. A 1/2" nut is a pretty significant size, it may have been a drop from install they couldn't find and worked it's way back to the drain, that's my guess. I think the Yamaha shop guys do it on purpose to screw with us, so we wrack our brains trying to figure it out. If you've looked around and couldn't find anything, I would't worry too much about it. Save the nut though and let your dealer know next time you're in!

Besides the metal shavings I found a round white ceramic looking piece with hole in meddle and black gasket or rubber on one side. It was to big for drain got a heavy stiff piece of wire and had someone poke it towards front of boat. It takes around 12 to 18 inches to get it to the engine bay were you can grab it.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I feel much better now knowing that I did not get one of those pesky leprechauns in mine @sofakingbig .

I think you found the nut that fell down below the engines in my boat last year....

:winkingthumbsup"

I found a 1/2 stainless but and a flat washer.

I put it in my toolbox on my boat for that rare chance I find what it actually belongs to.

I found a rusty ratchet and 3/8" extension in my bilge when I was changing out the stock scupper. Consensus was that it is pretty common to find stuff in there. When you drop something down there it is like a black hole.

I found a rusty ratchet and 3/8" extension in my bilge when I was changing out the stock scupper. Consensus was that it is pretty common to find stuff in there. When you drop something down there it is like a black hole.

At least you found something of value why can't someone drop gold nuggets in mine instead of metal shavings

I found metal shavings today in the hull drain plug. Have had a bunch of glass come out. I have bulked about 3 bolts, cut zip tie, and silicon from near the bilge pump. I only have 6 hours in the boat..

Jimmy Hoffa fell out of my drain plug. Just wait until you see the ring comes from your exhaust if it hasn't already :D

Seriously though it's not uncommon to find extra nuts, washers, whatever in these boats leftover from the workers at the factory. Factory freebies!

I had the cutouts for the tell-tales in my bilge. Hull is ~1/4" right there.

Jimmy Hoffa fell out of my drain plug. Just wait until you see the ring comes from your exhaust if it hasn't already :D

Seriously though it's not uncommon to find extra nuts, washers, whatever in these boats leftover from the workers at the factory. Factory freebies!
Just had both silicon rings come out of mine today.

Just had both silicon rings come out of mine today.

You have been fully blessed by the Yamaha gods. Onward!

I think a fish ate or choked on mine.

Back