• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Concerning Electrical Quirk on Lake Erie Friday...

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Gentlemen,

Put the boat on Lake Erie for the second time this weekend and had a great time. However, I was reminded quickly how on big water any little issue is unacceptable. The boat must be absolutely perfect - at least if you're the kind of guy I am. My boat is maintained excellently, but the pounding wave height of Erie brought something to the surface....

I had running lights on as it was getting near sundown, and stopped to put in the stern pole light. I didn't turn off the running lights because I was with two other boats and was trying to hurry.

Upon getting back underway, I noticed the entire dash had gone dark - running lights, stern light... all dash lights and "accessory power" down. Horn didn't work, bilge pump light was off (!).

I stopped to investigate, checked all the circuit breakers and none were tripped, grabbed the manual to check fuse locations and found two off the main battery (should have known this by default - knowledge gap identified), but had to take off before finding the issue as I decided I'd stick close to the guys I was traveling with and make the anchor location to debug further. Well after a few minutes, everything came back on!

So I'll save the rest of the story, everything worked after that.

The question is, what electrical location could kill EVERY electrical accessory? This needs to be tracked down. I did take the risk of turning off one engine while the everything else was down and starters had full power. The stern light could have had a bad/wobbly connection for sure, but again... what location could have that effect? I also check main battery terminals, and those were all ship shape.

My thinking is two fold thus far... the stern light has some unexpected going on (and I know it does have a loose connection at the bulb terminal I messed with the other day), or maybe there is a master ground location other than the battery terminal that is loose...

Thoughts? Anyone had something similar happen?

I love my boat - need to keep it perfect, and me and my companion(s) safe...

@DoubleThrust Sounds like a short when you stabbed in the stern pole Alex. DC is way more forgiving than is AC, but I think you just had a short to ground, possibly just wet. I am somewhat surprised it would take out the acc items, but the acc fuse as is all fuses, subject to failure. And in bouncing and rough conditions, it is at least an explanation that the bouncing could short the fuse back together if it didn't burn through much. Remove the ACC fuse by the battery and replace it anyway, but look at it, may be revealing. All those stern lights fit loose in the connection and the collar then snugs it. It always worries me that it will fall out! Hope this gives a little comfort!

Power coming off the engine going to battery perhaps is loose? Something between that and ecu?
I am surprised that everything went down, not just one thing. The engine should run from it's own power but sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Also check the battery terminals for corrosion as the wires may be sending the current but the batteries may not be receiveing it. Also, if you have two batteries switch to the other one and see if that resolves the issue to start eliminating things.

Yeah, only one battery. Electrical system is all stock. Unplugged the stern stereo remote a few weeks ago, that just came to mind. Shouldn't be related, but then that's the zone we're working in...

Yes I agree on checking fuses at battery, and that something really shorting in the stern light is most likely. I agree, it's not the greatest design and seems likely to have been the cause of something. I should have of course turned power off before putting it in there, next time I will. I expected to find the circuit breaker for the lights tripped and have solved it with a quick reset, but twas not the case... I'll check the main fuses and inspect the stern light more carefully next time out. Maybe some dielectric grease down there to help prevent any water issues or something.

Maybe it burnt a small gap in the ACC fuse but it's close enough current started flowing based on the pounding of the water or something...

Fuses are open or closed, nothing in between. Circuit breakers can be reset. Bi metel fuses will reset themselves when they cool off. As mentioned your anchor light caused the issue. You never want to plug a light into a live circuit for this reason. Check your Acc fuse to see what type you have. You may have a loose fuse or corroded fuse holder.

I have had a fuse blow and the part that burned out fell back into each side and the circuit came alive again. Not for long, but it did happen, and it was confusing as hell! Ultimately, it was easy however, because the fuse in question failed as soon as the issue that caused it happened again, which was a spike due to a short. Similar to what happened when he stabbed the light.

I'll check the ACC fuse... And not got sloppy under pressure next time. I know better!

Back