• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext Always on (key or no key)...dealer says it was update

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My connext system always turned off when I turned the key off/removed key.

I took the boat (2018 242eX) in for dealer service (authorized Yam dealer) who did two things:

1.) brought the connext system up to date (said it did several updates up to #29 I think? They sent it to Yamaha for this apparently)
2.) directly wired the bilge pump to the battery (I wet slip on shore power) (subject of many other exhaustive threads)

When I picked it up I turned on the battery switches and the Connext system started up even though there was no key in the ignition. Engines do not start, but the connext screen stays on so long as the battery switches are on, regardless of the key being on, in , or not.

The service techs of course said that is the way it has always been (not true at all) then moved to well maybe it was part of the updates. They followed up with a call saying they spoke with Yam and Yam confirmed it was a recent update and it is supposed to be this way. Which means of course anyone can board my boat and turn on the connext system and jam tunes whenever...if they are aware of such situation.

Just wondering if this is actually the way it should work....

UnfixedPyle

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That isn't how it works on my 2022 212X, got it in October so I'm not sure it has the latest updates if anything came out recently.

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Takes several minutes but my screen goes out when key is turned off With batteries still on.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Takes several minutes but my screen goes out when key is turned off With batteries still on.
Literally several minutes? If that is the case, I don't think I tested it that long. It definitely only took about 10 seconds to shut off before updates.

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 AR240 here. Mine works similar to yours. With no keys in the ignition, when I turn my battery on the connext screen will come on and turn the blower on automatically. Blower runs for a 5 minute timer. I dont have to have keys in the ignition for this to work.
When the boat is running, if I turn it off and leave the keys to the off position, the connext screen will turn off. If I want the connext screen to stay on I turn off one engine, put the key back to the "acc" position then turn the other engine off. I do this when pulling tubers, as I dont want the screen to turn off and then have to wait the 1-2 minutes for it to start up and give me GPS speed.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2020 AR240 here. Mine works similar to yours. With no keys in the ignition, when I turn my battery on the connext screen will come on and turn the blower on automatically. Blower runs for a 5 minute timer. I dont have to have keys in the ignition for this to work.
When the boat is running, if I turn it off and leave the keys to the off position, the connext screen will turn off. If I want the connext screen to stay on I turn off one engine, put the key back to the "acc" position then turn the other engine off. I do this when pulling tubers, as I dont want the screen to turn off and then have to wait the 1-2 minutes for it to start up and give me GPS speed.
I do the exact same thing as you 2020 212S

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I took the boat (2018 242eX) in for dealer service (authorized Yam dealer) who did two things:

1.) brought the connext system up to date (said it did several updates up to #29 I think? They sent it to Yamaha for this apparently)
2.) directly wired the bilge pump to the battery (I wet slip on shore power) (subject of many other exhaustive threads)

When I picked it up I turned on the battery switches and the Connext system started up even though there was no key in the ignition. Engines do not start, but the connext screen stays on so long as the battery switches are on, regardless of the key being on, in , or not.

The service techs of course said that is the way it has always been (not true at all) then moved to well maybe it was part of the updates. They followed up with a call saying they spoke with Yam and Yam confirmed it was a recent update and it is supposed to be this way. Which means of course anyone can board my boat and turn on the connext system and jam tunes whenever...if they are aware of such situation.

When I turn my batteries on, the system fires up and starts the blowers.

As we launch, I turn the key on start it up and off we go. Normal operation when floating and listening to music is key off - press the media button to wake it back up and start the music.

When time to take back off again, turn the key on (and blower) and away we go.

I have always turned batteries on - then if not wanting to leave, I’ll turn the key on and back off again and the system will shutdown. System will wake back up as soon as any button is pressed.

Sounds like you’re seeing the same that I am. ‘19 242X

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Same here - turn on the batteries and the Connext loads and turns on the blower. I like it...I can get ready while the blower runs for 5 mins.
:)
If the Connext is off and I want tunes, I can just press the power button on the Fusion at the stern and then use the Fusion app to control the music.

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2020 195s - turn on battery and connex comes on but no blower. Turn key to acc, then off and conex will go off in 30seconds or so. Always been that way.

JasonB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
2020 195s - turn on battery and connex comes on but no blower. Turn key to acc, then off and conex will go off in 30seconds or so. Always been that way.
It's the same for my '22 195S. But I'm at a loss as to why this would be the case. I figure that with a battery limited electrical system I would be able to control which loads I start, not turn anything on as soon as my battery switch is on.

Does anyone know the benefit for the connext/fusion to be wired this way? Or drawback for it to NOT be wired this way?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Does anyone know the benefit for the connext/fusion to be wired this way? Or drawback for it to NOT be wired this way?
I figure it's presumed that if you're turning on the batteries, you want to go boating.

It works perfect at the ramp. We get the boat ready to launch by loading any gear, cooler, etc., open the bimini, pop open the engine hatch to check, look for issues, remove straps, and my last step is to turn on the switches as I get off the boat. It loads up the Connext, my Axiom chartplotter, and starts my blower as I back down the ramp. By the time I pull out, park and get back to the boat, the blower is just finishing it's 5min run and I'm ready to start and depart.

BRosen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do the same thing….2016 242 limited s. When i stop i turn an engine key off, then back to acc, then turn the other engine off. If i turn both keys off, it shuts the connext/music down

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok well good to know that I think it's working the way intended. It stumped me that someone, hypothetically, could board my boat in the marina and turn on the battery, chill out and jam tunes. Still not convinced there is a big difference - again from a wet slip on shore power standpoint - between turning on the battery and turning the key (I never turned the batteries off unless I was on the trailer)... But this is good piece of mind.

Better yet, after 100 (exaggeration) posts about this issue, my bilge comes on no matter what the key or battery switches are doing...again, a wet slip shore power concern.

Thanks all!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The bilge is supposed to come on if it senses water regardless if the keys are the boat or battery switch position, or at least it should be wired that way.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The bilge is supposed to come on if it senses water regardless if the keys are the boat or battery switch position, or at least it should be wired that way.
I keep forgetting to check if mine is wired direct or not. The manual says the switches need to be on for the bilge, but I agree it should be direct to the battery.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Mine comes on with the batteries turned off. I checked it with the hose last spring, took a lot of water till it kicked on.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
there are extensive threads on this and it has been confirmed that certain year e-series models need a key in the ignition. At a minimum this includes tge 242x-e ‘18 and it is spelled out in the manual. Stupid, i know, but its true.

banchy04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

I prefer they stay on so I don’t loose the routes on maps. If it turns off you’ll loose map memory. Not good.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not until after 2018 - prior to that, batteries needed to be on for the bilge to function (24' boats, anyway). Agreed that is how it should be.