• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering a boat upgrade, but torn. Need your help!

M2krafty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys! I've lurked here for several years now. I purchased a 2011 AR210 and am in my second season with it. I love getting back into boating (did a lot as a youngster) and my family loves it too! I'm married with two boys (14 and 17) and it's great getting out and spending time together. The AR has been great. Took some getting used to as everyone says, but I'd say I'm a pretty competent driver at this point. However, I've learned a lot about our boating habits in the past couple of years that are making me consider a trade.
1. Power - I've had many situations where the AR210 is just under-powered. I don't have a lot of comparison situations to draw from, but I either have a lot of people on the boat, a big load (wakeboard or tubes), or both and I have a tough time getting speed. I know it's just physics, but I wonder if a traditional I/O might be better here with a torquey V8. Your experiences here with a dual 1.8 setup or traditional I/O would be appreciated. Even not towing, but loaded with people I have a tough time hitting 35 MPH.
2. Steering - As I mentioned, I'm good with the control and I even enjoy the way the jet handles. Once you get good at it, it's really fun and easy to control. That said, the steering in some situations is VERY heavy. At mid speed and in situations like looping back to pick up a fallen wakeboarder or tuber it's a struggle to the point where I feel like my other family members should drive in those situations. I have Thrust Vectors for your reference. Can this be improved? Are the newer models better in this regard?
3. Throttle - much has been said about this too, but I think many of the new boats will maintain a speed based on input parameters which would be really nice.

In short, I don't know quite where to go with this. Life is great with the AR210 but if it's WAY better with an upgrade, I would certainly consider it.

Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• 20180303_140304.jpg
    20180303_140304.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20180330_120224.jpg
    20180330_120224.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190712_203851.jpg
    20190712_203851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
My 14 212x “ I’ve only had 6 people max so far” - but it doesn’t seem to care, I tell my buddies it will out 0-50 just about anything “ except pwc”s” . So from a power stand point the 1.8”s are pretty efficient in my opinion. I’ve had my boat since the 4th of July and I already know my next boat with be an Ar240/ 24 foot series something from Yamaha.
If you get a chance, look for boat shows or Water craft testing and try to get out on a newer boat and see if it tickles your fancy.

All of the items you mentioned can be addressed with slight mods depending on you level of comfort and wallet.

#1 Power - Since this is a 2011, over time and depending on the boating conditions the impellers may need to be replaced which will help regain top speed and power. Roughly $250 - $300 each.

#2 Power - I would recommend the lucky 13 cone which is an extended cone that greatly increase thrust and pretty much eliminated cavitation. Roughly $300 each.

#3. Steering - I had the same concern regarding the responsiveness for quickly picking up a downed skier or wakeboarder. I have the CJS Vipers which remain in the water at all times unlike the TV. I highly recommend CJS @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

#4. Throttle - I believe @Ridesteady makes a product for 2011 models to maintain speed.

#4. Throttle - I believe @Ridesteady makes a product for 2011 models to maintain speed.

Ridesteady can help with speed control and synchronizing the engines. You can set it to whatever GPS speed or engine RPM and it will hold it there (within a tolerance).

Hey guys! I've lurked here for several years now. I purchased a 2011 AR210 and am in my second season with it. I love getting back into boating (did a lot as a youngster) and my family loves it too! I'm married with two boys (14 and 17) and it's great getting out and spending time together. The AR has been great. Took some getting used to as everyone says, but I'd say I'm a pretty competent driver at this point. However, I've learned a lot about our boating habits in the past couple of years that are making me consider a trade.
1. Power - I've had many situations where the AR210 is just under-powered. I don't have a lot of comparison situations to draw from, but I either have a lot of people on the boat, a big load (wakeboard or tubes), or both and I have a tough time getting speed. I know it's just physics, but I wonder if a traditional I/O might be better here with a torquey V8. Your experiences here with a dual 1.8 setup or traditional I/O would be appreciated. Even not towing, but loaded with people I have a tough time hitting 35 MPH.
2. Steering - As I mentioned, I'm good with the control and I even enjoy the way the jet handles. Once you get good at it, it's really fun and easy to control. That said, the steering in some situations is VERY heavy. At mid speed and in situations like looping back to pick up a fallen wakeboarder or tuber it's a struggle to the point where I feel like my other family members should drive in those situations. I have Thrust Vectors for your reference. Can this be improved? Are the newer models better in this regard?
3. Throttle - much has been said about this too, but I think many of the new boats will maintain a speed based on input parameters which would be really nice.

In short, I don't know quite where to go with this. Life is great with the AR210 but if it's WAY better with an upgrade, I would certainly consider it.

Appreciate your help!
Not sure if this will be helpful, but came from I/O like you, took the boss the the local Yamaha dealer just for getting eyes on the difference between 21's and 24's. We werent buying new, but were curious . I was sure a 21 would do it, and she said 24 no question.
I wound up with a 2016 L E series, and it has tons of power even with 8 plus on her. I am not sure of the power difference between mine and yours, but this boat has plenty. As far as the throttles, while opinions will vary, I absolutely love the E throttles. I press one button that pairs the engines to one lever, and they are synchronized. I like the cruise control, set it and forget it ( sort of ) The drive control lets you pull wakeboarders and skiers with auto acceleration that you can set, and what target speed you want for that particular rider.
My wife is not as experienced driving the boat, but I can get on a board and know she can drive not worrying about acceleration or speed. We are not experiencing overly stiff steering, but I do lube the cables and fittings on the stern regularly.

@M2krafty. Post your location on your profile. I'm sure there are members near you who may have a boat you may be considering that would take you out for a spin.

Just remember much of your deliberations about power can be worked out on paper. What I mean is Horsepower to weight ratio. Horsepower is a given in any particular boat you look at but weight is a variable. Yes, your boat has a definate weight out of the factory but it's what you add to that. If you fill most of the seats, have ballast bags, full fuel and try to pull a 200 pounder you're putting an unengineerd load on the boat. I'd see about that test drive. It should help you decide.

Hi there! Putting your location in your profile so we can tell if you are at altitude would help. I boat at 5776' and my AR240 with 7 adults on the boat has no problem tubing and wakeboarding. Surfing? I don't know yet, but sure plan on finding out at some point!

Appreciate your help!
I had an ‘11 SX210. MR1 110 hp engines. I agree that once you get close to load capacity the boat was a bit of a dog.

The 1.8 engines are night and day different.

I have a current model 242X now and have had the same load as before, and it doesn’t even notice.

I also agree that the Cobra fins will get you turned around faster.

I had the mechanical perfect pass system and it worked well. I was thinking that ridesteady wouldn’t work on that boat.

I was thinking that ridesteady wouldn’t work on that boat.
Actually it does work in older 210s. It does not work on 230s...

--

Appreciate your help!
If you are in St. Louis area this weekend, I will be more than happy to have you drive my AR240.
I've had some issues with this boat but once everything is straightened out and customized to your liking it is hard for me to think of a more versatile all-around-do-it-all-family-sports-boat, seriously.

--

@M2krafty. Post your location on your profile. I'm sure there are members near you who may have a boat you may be considering that would take you out for a spin.

Just remember much of your deliberations about power can be worked out on paper. What I mean is Horsepower to weight ratio. Horsepower is a given in any particular boat you look at but weight is a variable. Yes, your boat has a definate weight out of the factory but it's what you add to that. If you fill most of the seats, have ballast bags, full fuel and try to pull a 200 pounder you're putting an unengineerd load on the boat. I'd see about that test drive. It should help you decide.
I added my location. Thanks for the tip!
I would consider some performance upgrades to the current AR for sure. However, the 24' versions are very attractive from a space/performance perspective...

I would consider some performance upgrades to the current AR for sure.
Problem is, there is not much yiou can do, other than Ride Steady for cruise control and steering aids like Cobras. The MR-1 (HO and non-HO) engines are pretty much un-modable from factory as far as increasing power output...

--

You really need to get ina. Boat with the 1.8L so you can see the difference for your self. As stated, if you where in a az, I’d gladly take ya out.

Only you know what you want, and if you are already thinking of upgrading.. I am pretty sure the only one who could talk you out of it is the wifey, and I’m sure after 5 mins on a newer 24 foot, she would be all in.

Back