• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering an AR240 2010

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

Newbie boater here. I'm considering getting pleasure boat. I'm looking at AR240 2010 model year.

How reliable are these boats? My cottage is at a lake that's full of seaweed, is jet boat not a good idea? I see people running on jet ski on my lake though.

I'm also considering a cruiser type of boat like Sundancer. Are cruiser boats more maintenance intensive due to interior cabin and equipment?

ysidive

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sold my Sundancer 240 last August and Bought an AR240... Loved the Sundancer when I was using the cabin to take trips. My boat was always kept on a trailer so it was easy to take trips... Problem with the 240 Sundancer is when you want to take more than 2 people with myself and wife the boat gets crowded very fast... You do not have a lot of lounging room outside of the cabin... If you are not going to be sleeping and staying on board a lot, I would suggest the Bowrider..... Previous boats have been bowrider, Cuddy Cabin and Full cabin Sundancer.... Back to the Bowrider and not regretting it... If you live in a climate where things freeze, winterizing the outdrive as opposed to a jet drive is a major difference and time consuming... Enjoy boating and have fun...

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sold my Sundancer 240 last August and Bought an AR240... Loved the Sundancer when I was using the cabin to take trips. My boat was always kept on a trailer so it was easy to take trips... Problem with the 240 Sundancer is when you want to take more than 2 people with myself and wife the boat gets crowded very fast... You do not have a lot of lounging room outside of the cabin... If you are not going to be sleeping and staying on board a lot, I would suggest the Bowrider..... Previous boats have been bowrider, Cuddy Cabin and Full cabin Sundancer.... Back to the Bowrider and not regretting it... If you live in a climate where things freeze, winterizing the outdrive as opposed to a jet drive is a major difference and time consuming... Enjoy boating and have fun...
Thanks and glad you’re enjoying the switch.

My place freezes in winter so easier winterization is a big plus. Jet drive is easier to maintain for freezing climate too compare to I/o?

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
2010 AR240 owner here. Great boat, low maintenance. I’ve really only boated on clean lakes and rivers and never sucked up anything except a tow rope, but as long as the seaweed isn’t all over the place I think you will be fine. I would check those clean out plugs before you close the deal. Make sure you can pull them out and reinsert without too much difficulty. Also, search on here for oil cooler bolts on this model/year boat and make sure the ones on the boat you are looking at have been changed.

I love mine. I have almost 300 hours on it and can still get 50mph and no issues pulling boards or large tubes.

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!

What’s the going price for 2010 ar240 now?

I can barely find any for sale. I saw old posts on the forum back in 2016 discussing 2015 242x can be had for $45k but four years later in 2020, 2015 242x is still sitting at $45k.

Is pandemic pushing the price up?

2010 AR240 owner here. Great boat, low maintenance. I’ve really only boated on clean lakes and rivers and never sucked up anything except a tow rope, but as long as the seaweed isn’t all over the place I think you will be fine. I would check those clean out plugs before you close the deal. Make sure you can pull them out and reinsert without too much difficulty. Also, search on here for oil cooler bolts on this model/year boat and make sure the ones on the boat you are looking at have been changed.

I love mine. I have almost 300 hours on it and can still get 50mph and no issues pulling boards or large tubes.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks!

I can barely find any for sale. I saw old posts on the forum back in 2016 discussing 2015 242x can be had for $45k but four years later in 2020, 2015 242x is still sitting at $45k.

Covid changed the market this summer....think bathroom tissue shortage then boat shortage.........

Dealers are cleaned out of boats which then spiked used prices.......this is definitely a sellers market so you will pay top dollar.....which is ok if your ok with it.

johnkim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Covid changed the market this summer....think bathroom tissue shortage then boat shortage.........

Dealers are cleaned out of boats which then spiked used prices.......this is definitely a sellers market so you will pay top dollar.....which is ok if your ok with it.
Make sense. I was surprised how little boat inventory is compare to cars.

Summer is over for my area. Let’s see what next year brings.

It is funny my dad had a sundancer for 7 years and I only being on it few times and had little interest in boats.

As soon as he traded in for a fishing boat this year that doesn’t have typical lounge seating, I immediately wanted to buy my own boat.

Hopefully next year the price and return to norm because Ar240 seems like a perfect setup for summer fun.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Thanks!

I bought my AR240 three years ago for $29k and I’m seeing these things go now for $35-$40k. Market really has pushed these prices up but I’m happy with what I have. I agree to wait for spring and the whole 2021 lineup to hit the dealers. That should cause the used boat prices to settle a little.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The oil coolers leaking was the BFD in the 2010 240s. If you don’t have the upgraded coolers (as reflected by what bolts are used to hold the cover in place as well as an embossed marking / arrow on the cooler’a cover) you could be looking at a $750 replacement fee per cooler, excluding labor and new oil, $1,250 per hen I have my local yamaha dealer replace mine well over five years ago.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Thanks!

The owners are usually asking $50k+:cool:

Dan Marinier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The oil coolers leaking was the BFD in the 2010 240s. If you don’t have the upgraded coolers (as reflected by what bolts are used to hold the cover in place as well as an embossed marking / arrow on the cooler’a cover) you could be looking at a $750 replacement fee per cooler, excluding labor and new oil, $1,250 per hen I have my local yamaha dealer replace mine well over five years ago.
Mine just went, got new coolers to install next weekend. Engine hours at 450 and still going strong.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 2010 AR240, over 300 hours on it, always been very reliable. Great boat. Many great family and friends memories. Would Highly recommend as a good and smart used boat purchase.