• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Could use another opinion <Car damaged>

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn't file the report if they pay. I filed a report on a hit and run that just nicked my mirror one time. It showed up on a carfax when I was trading it in. It ended up rubbing out, but I was sitting at the light in the car when he hit me and took off and had no idea of the extent of damage (almost none). I followed him and on star talked the cops right to him.

If I would witness someone doing that to one of my cars I would have been pissed beyond belief. I've mellowed some in my 30s but in my 20s I would have pressed any charges I could have and sued for diminished value. Assuming I didn't knock his ass out. Of course

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can keep this simple. Already have one quote from the local Lexus dealer...$1572.00!! That was a little more than I saw coming.

Thanks again for the second opinions.
You're doing the right thing by giving the opportunity to make it right. I wouldn't settle for the lowest cost though, go with the best provider that will make sure you won't notice where it's been repainted or peel down the road. Then it's her decision on whether she wants to file a claim or not.

It's Lexus paint, it's bound to cost more :)

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's too late now to file a police report. But you should have if you want insurance to pay.

A nice old man bumped into my first new car at a gas station when I was 19 or so. He got out and apologized and gave me his card and said go get two estimates and he would pay for it.

I did that and called him with the lowest of the two...I just wanted my car fixed.

So I called him and he flat out told me "I didn't hit your car". At that point what could I do? I was screwed. Had I had a police report...this would not have happened.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why not file a police report to protect yourself? The kid did it and apparently this isn't the first time. A juvenile report doesn't stay on the kid's record the rest of his life and isn't open to public scrutiny. Let him get the s**t scared out of him and maybe next time he will think twice before doing something stupid.

BTW, how do you know the woman was telling the truth about his autism? He may just be another juvenile delinquent.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@billyb ... I don't believe it is too late, or at least that is what our police department told me. I don't remember the actual time frame but I want to say I have several months if things go sideways. I do have access to a digital copy of the event if needed but I will give this lady every chance to make things right. I gave her my word.

@xoomer ... my wife always tells me that I'm a born sucker, I always see the good in people. I guess I'm hoping she wasn't using something like that as an excuse. I don't have kids, unless you count my two hounds, so it's hard for me to judge someone unless I've been in their shoes.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the child really is autistic, I would see if she makes it right first. Also, I would reach out to the police and see if you could file a report without action being taken in your state. This way it is documented in case you need to take furhter action. It is a tough desicion.

2devine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any police involvement regarding juveniles is only effective when the parents don't get it. Meaning appropriate counseling for the kids or learning something is wrong. It is really that simple. If the parents have the child getting help or is trying to do the right thing then I would let them handle it. It's the parents that act like a child take no responsibility or allow the child to be the parent they then need our intervention. Civilly I think your covered as far as finances go. It sounds like you got a good vibe this mother is doing her best and I'm sure it's being addressed Ill stake my 30 years in the business on this.