• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Cover Colors

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So, after 3 years, the OEM Yamaha snap-on bow cover for our 2020 242SE has really started to come apart. After talking with our dealer about repairs, it was pretty obvious that buying a new one would be a better move.
IMG_0773.jpg

With that logic, I found the label on our existing cover with the Yamaha part number (MAR-242BC-SM-16 - "Smoke" color), found a deal on that at boats.net, and smugly told the Admiral that I got a killer deal and that we'd be Shipshape and Bristol Fashion by Tuesday.
IMG_0775.jpg

Jump to Tuesday - the part arrives in pristine packaging, the label has the right part number but clearly says "black" for the color. I'd been expecting "smoke" (a medium gray).
IMG_0844.jpg

In the hazy plastic bag, things look like it could be gray, but maybe just not sun-faded like our existing cover. With gusto, I open the bag and see... black. Yea, no gray, just dark black. Even the label now says "black" with the same part number.
IMG_0842.jpg

Has anyone had this experience with these parts? I really don't want to have a black cover, regardless of it being mismatched from my cockpit cover or bimini!

I don't think I can blame the seller for this, it's clear that Yamaha calls this "black" on their own packaging.

So, after 3 years, the OEM Yamaha snap-on bow cover for our 2020 242SE has really started to come apart. After talking with our dealer about repairs, it was pretty obvious that buying a new one would be a better move.
I suggest you take it to a marine canvas shop - they can easily fix that and if they can match the colour you'll never notice the difference.

I suggest you take it to a marine canvas shop - they can easily fix that and if they can match the colour you'll never notice the difference.
Generally speaking, I'd agree with you.

Unfortunately, canvas shops around here usually have waiting lists as long as my boating season, and even if I could get someone to take it ASAP, unless they could do it the same day, I'd have our boat uncovered during a notoriously rainy time of year. We don't have a place to store it indoors and I don't have another cover, so my hands are kind of tied. You're probably right though - I should reach out to a couple and see if anyone has time.

Unfortunately, canvas shops around here usually have waiting lists as long as my boating season, and even if I could get someone to take it ASAP, unless they could do it the same day, I'd have our boat uncovered during a notoriously rainy time of year. We don't have a place to store it indoors and I don't have another cover, so my hands are kind of tied. You're probably right though - I should reach out to a couple and see if anyone has time.
Are you keeping the black cover? If so, perhaps use it while the grey is getting repaired?

Are you keeping the black cover? If so, perhaps use it while the grey is getting repaired?
Boats.net is being cool about the return - just sent it back yesterday.

I called Yamaha directly yesterday and they were just as surprised as the Boats.net people, saying that no supersedance order had come through that would change the original part number's specifications. The dude I spoke with at Yamaha asked me to roder it again and if it was NOT gray, to reach out to him directly so that he could dig deeper.

Back