• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Covering Trailer Chains?

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I'm thinking of putting thin clear flexible tubing over the trailer cable chains. This will keep them from damaging trailer and from rattling. Wondered if anyone else had done this? I'm going to figure out what size clear tubing slides over them and will post back for anyone interested. I'm also adding a small dia coated cable to the Hitch Pin that holds the folding trailer Pull Pin in place. I think I'll end up loosing that once a week if I don't. I'll post pictures when done, but thinking about a $10 mod at most.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen some done like that, the chains never bothered me on my trailers, the cables on my boat trailer get on my nerves though. I keep thinking I'm going to replace them with chains but just haven't done it.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had cables on my old boat and didn't care for them much either. I like the chains, but I have habit of taking them off the ground and rapping them on my trailer tounge while storing...figured I'll end up chipping my paint on the trailer before long.

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just thinking out loud so please forgive me but would the clear plastic be prone to holding water from launching or trailering while roads are wet? Would covering the chains with plastidip or a bedliner material be better? I know that a couple of launches I have used requires me to back in further than I would like and the chains would get wet.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just thinking out loud so please forgive me but would the clear plastic be prone to holding water from launching or trailering while roads are wet? Would covering the chains with plastidip or a bedliner material be better? I know that a couple of launches I have used requires me to back in further than I would like and the chains would get wet.
Very good point, was thinking about that also. Might need to add a small hole in bottom of "loop" so it drains. thinking the only part that does see water would be bottom of loop, so maybe water wouldn't get in their. I seen tip on another forum on this also, they said bike inner tube is perfect fit to cover changes and pretty thin. I may play around with it a bit this weekend. Thanks for input.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea standing water in the covers would be my concern. Plastidip seems like a good idea. Thankfully I have a galvanized trailer as my OCD would drive me nuts with a painted trailer and scratches.