• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crazy thought - Anchor Locker Drain as Bow Thrusters

3abadi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

Would it be possible to convert the anchor locker drains in a 25ft Yamaha into a bow jet thrusters? Two small jet pumps with a two-way fitting. The fitting can be 3D printed as a two-way bi-directional valve/fitting. Are they above the water level or below water level in idle mode?

Just a wild thought.

Ideas? :) ?

My thoughts? These boats don’t need an anchor locker that drains overboard. They could just let it drain into the bilge like they do for 19’ boats (sans FSH models) and the cup holders. No reason for them to drain overboard like they attempted to do with their half-assed approach. Everything else dumps into the bilge so why not the anchor locker? It would be one thing if they actually sealed the anchor locker correctly but that’s not what they did for far too long.

As for bow thrusters there are companies that make aftermarket kits. I think it would be a waste on a boat this relatively small, light and easy to maneuver. But if you got the money and want to chop up your boat by all means go for it! Yamaha jet boats don’t sit deep in the water so placement of a bow thruster might be tricky. You’d want to go for a smaller diameter one that sits below the waterline.

Last edited:
But the ask was, can you reuse the holes for some power... I think the diameter is just too small, but you don't have to do much to test. If you could rig a garden hose on the dock at 90 degrees on a pole, you could test at full water pressure to get you an idea on what 35 psi can deliver. You will see it's not a small water volume. If not the same water volume, at least an idea with a known quantity on what happens.

I think you would be disappointed in what it can do with such a small hole, can't move enough water to move the boat effectively I don't think. Splitting the throttles or a real bow thrusters might be required to achieve your desire, but don't be dissuaded to try on my account!!! I'd be awesome if you make it work.

The anchor drain is above the waterline so I don’t see how you could reuse the hole. You would need to put a bow thruster low, below the waterline like this for it to be effective…

40B82643-7C4C-45E1-8103-FF4896B7D942.jpeg

Thanks to all for the feedback. I agree, the holes are small, not always below water level and it would not add much of a value.

Using Engines‘ throttles to maneuver is sufficient.

Back