• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Debating between 2021 195S vs 212XE

UBo32

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hi all. Super glad/excited that I found this site, as I've been thinking about getting into boating for quite some time. That time, thankfully, has finally come. Like a lot of folks here, I'm looking to buy a 2021 195S. I know the 195S will be way more than my family needs; at least at the moment. I have two kiddos under 10, and... I'm thinking that eventually, as they get older, we/they will get a lot more into watersports. Also, with the "buy your second boat first" mentality... I'm thinking that I should splurge a bit and opt for the 212XE (I read that "D" Drive isn't worth the extra $4k). It's about 60% more, but, I believe a lot more future proof.

I got the whole "we can't keep boats on the lot" and "expect the 2021s to sell out quickly" lines from my local dealer. As this is the first time I'll be buying a boat, what sort of pricing should I expect to pay? Do the dealers normally come off $2k - $4k from MSRP? Do they normally wave prep/freight fees? Are there any other incentives I should be aware of?

Also, as far as timing goes... is there a better time to buy a boat? i.e. cheaper and/or more incentives in the Winter, etc. If there are more incentives in the off-season, are they really worth the wait? Or, better to buy it now and squeeze some trips in this season?

Thanks for reading... and, thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/advice.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
go for it now and get those trips in. youre not getting any younger. they arent budging now its a sellers market. if you want to save prob should wait some months. be prepared to wait it sounds like if you go for it now. i just got my boat less than a week ago and thinking about 2nd boat. lol went with 19'. i want the 212s black. 🤤 good luck.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@UBo32 You are almost likely not going to get much of a deal from a dealer now, or this winter. Depending on where things are in the spring it is tough to say. You are rolling the dice. If you want a boat for next spring or earlier and you want new, then you should probably get in line at a dealership and do something right away since there are a tremendous amount of people waiting on boats that have yet to be even built yet.

If you want used, then the market, I believe will soften and there will be more around over the next 6 - 8 months or so, but that is just a hunch.

If you want to buy now and use now, New? I do not think that will happen, because of inventory, although 19' footers appear to be moving and some are showing up at dealerships, but they are all pre-sold, at least that is what we are hearing and seeing.

You have to decide what having a boat sooner vs. later is worth to you. Sooner = MSRP ++, Later = Uncertainty.

Until someone indicates otherwise, All I think we have seen are pre-sold 190's 195's and 212s show up at the dealers. Although at my dealer a few weeks ago an un-sold 212s in black came in that was sold a couple hours later.

Also I suggest you go through the multitude of threads on this site of Members being promised boats and they are not showing up yet and others their boats are coming. You can also see area where they are showing up, some dealers/areas haven't got anything. Also you will see the models.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So with my boat i was not promised anything. I simply put a deposit down and told them i wanted this boat. Ironically I called the day the colors came out. Ill take the blue one please. they said ok we'll call you when it comes in. Does that count as Pre sold? not sure. I didnt sign anything until the day i showed up to take it home.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya that counts as pre-sold I would say. It was either going to you or the next person on the list. Every dealer has a list and no way to determine how many souls are on each. I doubt anything will hit the floor until the list and deposits are exhausted.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like the 212XE is the boat you really want. I think you'll be happier and save money in the long run. The 212x is the most popular Yamaha's model and it will show when it comes time to sell. Go slap some money on the table and enjoy yourself, you can't put a price on the wonderful memories you'll have. That's the value!

Message me when you're ready to gear up and I can you some great pricing. Including the best prices on the Slingshot wakesurf boards.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi all. Super glad/excited that I found this site
:Welcome:
"Buy your second boat first" is a good statement you'll see here alot. Spend the extra now as you'll really appreciate the extra room, and you'll already have the boat you need for the teenagers to go surfing or tubing or boarding in a few years. We debated a 195s too but said we might as well get what we really wanted even though the kids are grown and don't come around as much. With a new granddaughter (and probably more coming down the road), we're ready for when she wants to tube and board in the years to come and I'm the awesome-papa who everyone adores (I hope).
🤪

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with what everyone else here said. I was looking for a 195 and ended up with a 212 and glad I did. I actually wish I’d gone 24 now a year in just for ride quality in choppy water, I had to buy a new truck for the 212 anyway.
If the market normalizes in the next year the kind of deal you can get will still probably depend on how many dealers you have in your area and how many boats they can get. Where I’m at there was 1 dealer and they happily declined every offer I made below asking price even before covid.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here’s my thoughts. Usually you can get $2k to $3k off with no freight or prep. Not so much this year. These boats do hold their value. I’d buy the 19ft now and wait for the redesign of the 21ft boat and then upgrade probably 2023 by then your kids will be older, you’ll still get a good deal trading/selling the 19ft and then you’ll have a redesigned 21ft boat. If it turns out boating is not for you you can sell the 19ft pretty quick no matter what year. Just a thought.