• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Debating selling 07 SX230

Valle956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really debating selling my boat. Would want to upgrade to a newer one sometime next year. I’m military and will be deploying and won’t get used after August time frame. It’s a personal choice, but asking for opinion from more seasoned boater (1 yrs under my rookie belt). Just had it fully detailed, $1,600 custom sunbrella cover (Vegas heat), oil change/plugs coming in, monster tower with wakeboard racks. Boat is in awesome condition. Might replace bimi as it’s very old. NADA shows ~$21-24,500. Your opinion, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. Pics attached.

Attachments

Jlhtec

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Used boat prices are at an all time high. You'll be able to sell your boat in a day or two at full price. Unfortunately, next year you will pay full price for your upgrade. I don't believe the damand for used boats will go down anytime soon.
I have an 08 AR230 with ~ 70hr, that I thought about selling for 28K, which would have been a crazy high price 2 yrs ago. Try and find one for sale...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do you plan to purchase to replace it? If another jet boat I would not replace myself. You will pay double or triple the price for 15% more boat.

If getting center console, surf boat. much larger boat, or twin outboards for other purposes, go for it.

My humble opinion of course.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What do you plan to purchase to replace it? If another jet boat I would not replace myself. You will pay double or triple the price for 15% more boat.

If getting center console, surf boat. much larger boat, or twin outboards for other purposes, go for it.

My humble opinion of course.
I agree with all of this. Seems like you have your boat set up well with the tower and all for your taste and you will end up in a much more expensive boat when you replace it. This is my problem with replacing mine—I’ll end up spending at least double and will have a nicer looking, little fancier boat, but realistically what did I gain? It’s not like I’d have any more fun, it would be the same fun. Unless you will be changing your usage and need a different type of boat or it will sit for a couple of years, it might be best to just hang on to it.

Valle956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all for your insight. Was hoping boat prices would creep back down next year since COVID is ramping down, and the states are slowly opening to 100%. Just wanted a newer Yamaha down the road. Again, very much appreciated and sure did answer my question.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With COVID the supply challenges have been significant and demand has been quite high, so double challenge on pricing for buyers. Not enough boats and greater demand. The logical thing is for prices to drop from the stratosphere, but when? No idea.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with the others, I don't see the demand for used boats and sports cars to go down.

Beyond the supply chain issues, and the realignment of people's priorities, the prices for new stuff is just out of control. A base SX250 start at like 58k now. What's that get you over the 230? A little estra size? A few nicer finishings? Is that worth over double? Clearly to some it will be, but a 230 boat, especially a later year one.... That's a lot of boat for 25 to 30k.

I am in a similar position with my boat. I don't expect to get a lot of use out of it for the next 12 to 18 months. I also do not want to have to replace it when the time comes that I can get the use out of it, because I will likely not be able to find a 230nreplacement, which means I'm looking at spending quite a bit more for a 240 or 250. That seems rather foolish compared to just sitting on it, and using it once a month or so for the summer to keep everything in running shape.

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hard not to sell one at today's pricces if you have a couple of years to wait to get the yea ole lake house and the next boat.