• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Distance on oil change

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've always changed my oil about every 6000 miles. I was going through my 2014 F-150 status of truck electronic menu and the percent oil left read 53%. I'm currently about 6000 miles from my last oil change. So do I trust the truck computer or do I do change oil anyway??? I'm kinda on the fence. The truck holds around 8 quarts of oil so maybe I should be getting around 10000 miles per oil change.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran my '05 Ram 5.7 Hemi 154,000 miles changing between 6,000 and 8,000 using conventional oil. Never had issues, in fact I have always been amazed that the oil was always dark gold at changes. It was never black, maybe that's usual now a days but every other car I've had, the oil turned black.

Woodchuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Ecoboost and the recommended interval is 10, 000 for normal use and 7500 for heavy use. My dealer does the stickers for the 7500, they say if you go over the 10, 000 and have a warranty issue that Ford could try to deny it and they don't want to see that happen.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Ecoboost and the recommended interval is 10, 000 for normal use and 7500 for heavy use. My dealer does the stickers for the 7500, they say if you go over the 10, 000 and have a warranty issue that Ford could try to deny it and they don't want to see that happen.
x2. I actually change my oil once a year with the registration sticker change. I put between 7500 to 10k a year on the odometer. I had my dealer do it once and they put the standard 3 month 3k sticker on it...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always go 5K with regular oil and 10K with syn. I run syn on all the trucks, cars and bikes now. I also rotate the tires, grease, fill everything and do a good look over of everything. I like to PM (old school) but I think 10K is good. I also upgrade to the biggest filter I can.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Personally, I think it's all a scam. Unless your truly going off road all the time...than yeah, every 3k.

I drive my little pos 4 cyclinder 25k miles per year and change the oil myself twice a year. Just hit 100k and no issues what so ever at the 100k tuneup/check from the dealer.

Europe does not change the oil in their cars anywhere near the frequency we do in the states.

Again, these are just my opinions and have no basis in real life. But I have yet to have a vehicle have any issues because I didn't change the oil every 3k miles.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also have never had any issues related to oil. I do know many people that never change their oil and they do run a long time but their vehicles always have issues down the road. 3K was a common amount for turbo driven vehicles since the oil gets hotter. I would bet you could go 15K especially with syn oil and not have problems. If you have a warranty schedule to keep you may want to follow that at least for the warranty. As billyn said, this is just my opinion and what I have done for years.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My Tundra change interval is 10K miles oil changes. I thought that was excessive since I've always been a 5K mile oil change guy. So Instead of guessing or doing what my neighbor does, I turned to science. Log on to www.blackstone-labs.com and request a free sample bottle ( or 2 or 3) then pull a sample at a change or even in between. Send it to them and ask for a TBN analysis also. That tells you the amount of additive left in the oil. You can also check a box on the form that you are looking for extended intervals over when the sample was pulled. It costs 35.00 but it's great info. I do it every change to keep trend history. I started with the first change at 5K then 7500 then 10K . The analysis showed I could easily go 10K with the Mobil one 0W20 I was using.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
M-B says every 10000 miles ( - OR EVERY 23 months !) on our SL-500 using Mobil 1 (synthetic). Personally, I find that way too much. Besides the mileage, you gotta consider the INTERVAL time. For example, 6000 miles in 6-9 months is a lot different from 6000 miles in 2.5 months.

To be safe, we change the oil & filter in our vehicles every 6000 miles - regardless. And simply because I have "been converted" in my thinking, I use now only SYNTHETIC oil.

As a small add-on you get for free today,
check out Mobil 1 in 5.1 quart containers at Wally World. Sells for $22.50 REGULARLY ! This is a price you cannot match anywhere else. That makes it approx. $ 4 a quart !

Best Wishes to all - Off to the Atlanta Boat Show & Wedowee Marine this week @ Gonna be a banner set of Good Times !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The oil % left indicators do not anylize the oil but it does anylize the vehicle usage and driving habits. It knows how much idle time, how much city driving with a lot of starts and stops and how much highway driving. All those effect how long your oil will be good for and it makes a computerized estimate how long it will be good for. I think that also is dependent on the type if oil, synthetic oil will cost more but will also last longer. I believe these computerized estimates are based on synthetic oil.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I go with the computer...it knows.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The oil % left indicators do not anylize the oil but it does anylize the vehicle usage and driving habits. It knows how much idle time, how much city driving with a lot of starts and stops and how much highway driving. All those effect how long your oil will be good for and it makes a computerized estimate how long it will be good for. I think that also is dependent on the type if oil, synthetic oil will cost more but will also last longer. I believe these computerized estimates are based on synthetic oil.
@Trm1765 : Extremely ACCURATE answers ! Thanks for posting !