• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have a boat lift?

Do you have a boat lift?

• Total voters

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just wondering if a boat lift is worth the cash. Up here in Canada, I’m looking at around spending $7500.

Pros and Cons...

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to have one but don't live on the water.

Pro - It would keep the boat much cleaner throughout the season as opposed to wet slipping.
- Not having to trailer the boat
Con - I live short distances from 3 major rivers and close enough to a few lakes that it would probably keep me from leaving the home body of water.

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm on Lake St. Clair, and have a Hewitt Hi-Lift 3800.
Pros - Boat stays nice and clean, able to go out for a quick ride without dealing with the boat ramp.
Cons - Bit of a pain to take in and out with my rocky shoreline every year (takes 4 guys), water levels have been too deep the last 2 summers to put it in, even with the legs extended. Risk of storm damage if I can't lift it high enough.
After having it in for about 10 years, we really missed it these last 2 summers. Haven't done any weeknight rides, so it has become a weekend only thing. Upgraded it to an electric motor after a few years which is nice. I got mine used, north of Detroit on Craigslist for less than half of new. Something to consider when/if the border opens up.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, our 242LS sits on a 5000lb Floe with 24ft canopy and 24v Vertical Screw Drive system.

If you own property on the water, it's an absolute. And if you live in the North, as you do, an aluminum lift is required, as they gotta come out instead of letting the ice rip up your lift. There are so many docks and lifts in our region, that the norm is to pay a service to put it in and take it out. They come with a pontoon boat with big hydraulic forks on it, and pull the lift and go store it in some field. Then bring it back in the spring.

Those of us with some decent shoreline put wheels on ours and drag them out, or rent a lift float and roll, which allows us to float it down the shoreline where we can roll it out.

To buy a lift, common prices are $.50/lb for used and $1/lb for used with canopy. Those numbers double for New units of average quality and a bit more for the better brands with decent features. So it's not uncommon to spend $10,000 for a new 5000lb aluminum lift with canopy and electric lift either AC or DC. Ones with accessories like guide in bunks, screw legs, wireless remotes, lights can add thousands.

We love having a canopy as along with that, the snap on covers keep the crap and birds out. Then we use a mooring cover for trailering and storing the boat. The lift is so handy to just run down, drop the boat and we are off. And if using a couple days in a row, we can leave the covers off and keep most the grime out. It's an investment, but as mentioned, if you live spitting distance from your boat, it's the only way to roll.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Anyone have any tricks of taking these heavy lifts in out of water? Just wondering if anyone uses floats or the heel kits to get them out

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Best $12,000 I’ve spent! No more trailering and it’s in the backyard always ready to go. High and Dry was raising their prices to $300 a month ($3,600 a year). Payback is fast enough for me (little over 3 years) to drop the 12k and never have to wait for them to launch the boat or deal with the hassles anymore of limiting my time to clean the boat on the racks before they put it away etc. Now the boat is always ready to go!

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
#1 don't buy steel, buy aluminum
#2 wheel kits are required if just pulling up the shore onto the beach or lawn
#3 if you are deep, or need to go down shore to a less steep grade, we use a "float and roll"

Last year we moved to a home on a steep grade. But we own 450' of shoreline. So our Floe 5000lb lift was a bit top heavy to hoist up the hill. Otherwise, we would have just pulled it out with the winch on the front of the SXS as we have done for years.

This year I rented a Floe Float and Roll. It is a large lift float that has wheels attached to it. It fits perfectly between the frame rails of the boat cradle. When inserted, you tie it down with a come along, and raise the lift legs. The whole lift floats easily down the beach to our landing spot, where I winch it out with the SXS. Once the wheels touch down it rolls out easily for the winter.

Many in our area will use a lift service. Where the local dock and lift guys have large pontoon/barges with hydraulics on them to pick the lift up, run it across the lake where their guys with trucks run it to a nearby field for the winter. And bring it back in the spring.

121198073_10157457124935009_5933250407988940776_n[1].jpg
feature-barge-boat-lift-transport[1].jpg

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Biff those clamp on chairs at the end of the dock are cool! Not as easy to rearrange, but looks like they use less dock/deck space. Nice!
Floe does a really good job with their furniture. Those are actually hanging over the water, and spread just far enough apart to get a drink table between each pair of chairs. It's an 8x12 sundeck, so it works out well. We have not invested in the umbrellas, as we are usually there for the sun anyway.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Best $12,000 I’ve spent! No more trailering and it’s in the backyard always ready to go. High and Dry was raising their prices to $300 a month ($3,600 a year). Payback is fast enough for me (little over 3 years) to drop the 12k and never have to wait for them to launch the boat or deal with the hassles anymore of limiting my time to clean the boat on the racks before they put it away etc. Now the boat is always ready to go!
Our aluminum lifts look frail compared to these pilon based lifts! Talk about beefy. I'm always impressed when I see an aluminum lift hoist up some of the monsters we have around here.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got my new lift! Well new to me.... could not pass up the deal. I was able to find locally a gently used Jet Dock system that was already setup for a Scarab 255ID with air assist and launch winch. I wanted a floating style lift that I did not have to remove every season from the water and Jet Dock stays in year round. Once you set it - forget about it - and it has a lifetime warranty. I called Jet Dock and a new dock big enough for my new AR250 was going to be around $25K - too rich for my blood. I just happened to find a guy local in a marina selling the exact setup I needed - $6K cash later and I was towing it home. Was a bit of an adventure this weekend (my dad rode on the dock back to help steer/guide - it took about an hour to tow it down at 5mph speeds - the bridge in the background was a little tight) but here are some shots from towing it down and the final setup. Can't wait to get the boat launched!

HEEV7847.JPG
CBEX1372.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
IMG_6142.JPG

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see how looks... it sits pretty far back - I think I would make sure I have a line ready to secure the bow to the dock with so it doesn't slide back off! Let us know how it works out for you!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Comments about how keeping it on a lift helps to keep it clean does not apply to me and I have a roof too. Could be where I live but unless you put on a boat cover, it still gets dirty and messy (especially the seats). The wind always seems to be blowing, carrying crap that apparently likes my boat. With that said, I love it and wouldn't swap with anyone. Like others have mentioned, it's always there waiting for you. Off in a moments notice.